Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Are extra charges on the restaurant bill normal or a scam?

old fart

I went to a restaurant that I go to all the time that has good Italian food. I usually never question the bill and just pay it but I noticed that they charged me a 1,500 pesos per person table charge. I already left the restaurant and I was on the street but I went back in and demanded they refund me the 4,500 pesos as I was with 2 of my friends. My friends told me to leave it alone and offered to give me the money. But it was more the point they cheated me. My friend told me that some restaurants charge this but I have not seen this.

This was crazy to me. I don't speak Spanish well at all and was arguing with them. I told them I was a good customer and eat there often but they told me not to come back to the restaurant and that I am banned. Was I right to yell at them? Were they right to ban me?

I went to a restaurant that I go to all the time that has good Italian food. I usually never question the bill and just pay it but I noticed that they charged me a 1,500 pesos per person table charge. I already left the restaurant and I was on the street but I went back in and demanded they refund me the 4,500 pesos as I was with 2 of my friends. My friends told me to leave it alone and offered to give me the money. But it was more the point they cheated me. My friend told me that some restaurants charge this but I have not seen this.

This was crazy to me. I don't speak Spanish well at all and was arguing with them. I told them I was a good customer and eat there often but they told me not to come back to the restaurant and that I am banned. Was I right to yell at them? Were they right to ban me?
You are definitely in the WRONG. What restaurant was this at? Many restaurants in BA have a cubierto fee that includes some bread on the table or some other little snack on the table. Your friends were correct and I would assume they were too embarrassed to go inside the restaurant with him.

Your friends that offered to give you the money did that because they wanted to save you the embarrassment. You were wrong to yell at you and they were correct to ban you since you asked.

Is this joke??? You yell and make scene over $1.50 USD each? I'm Argentine and have been paying this cubierto fee for many years. Not in all restaurants but many nice place have it. The fee is always reasonable fee to help the restaurant provide the extra. If you are so cheap and won't pay it you can ask restaurant before you sit down if they charge a fee.

All business very difficult to operate now. This fee help restaurant stay in business. It strange to me to see the people complain about this fee. I read before another expat poster complain about this fee. Worst thing is you people have USD and you complain for such small fee. When you travel in foreign country you have to know the customs and norms in that country instead of acting like fool.

You should go back and apologize for acting like fool and claim to be ignorant tourist that does not know better.

Several restaurants still charge this cubierto fee but over the years the number of places has actually gone decreased. It was more common before but most restaurants just roll it into higher prices now. With the rapid inflation and constant need to change prices anyway in menu many restaurants feel like some people will complain so they changed it. But I still go to places that have it. It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Certainly nothing to make a scene over.

OK, maybe I stand corrected. Maybe there were more places that do this but I just noticed it. I thought it was a scam. Maybe I overreacted but I keep seeing prices go up in restaurants and felt like this was overkill. For those asking for the name of the place it is Antonino. Does anyone know if I don't want the bread that they give if I can waive the cubierto fee? Can I tell them I don't want it and to not charge for it?

OK, maybe I stand corrected. Maybe there were more places that do this but I just noticed it. I thought it was a scam. Maybe I overreacted but I keep seeing prices go up in restaurants and felt like this was overkill. For those asking for the name of the place it is Antonino. Does anyone know if I don't want the bread that they give if I can waive the cubierto fee? Can I tell them I don't want it and to not charge for it?

My advice is if you can't afford to pay the cubierto fee then you can't afford the restaurant. Still, some restaurants will allow you if you ask them that you don't want the bread to waive it but I think you come across as really cheap and they might get offended. It is important to note this fee does NOT go to the server or wait staff. It goes to the restaurant.

This is a very normal thing in many restaurants. Especially Italian restaurants where they give you bread baskets. I wouldn't complain at all about this fee. It's usually very reasonable and helps the restaurant offset costs. Usually around what they are charging you. This receipt from an Italian place I went to in July 2023 when the exchange rate was around 550 pesos to $1 US and you can see I had 10 people with me.

Typically you can ask for multiple baskets. My kids eat like beasts so I know we always come out way ahead. It is always recommended when you're in a foreign country to find out what is normal and customary before making a big scene in the restaurant. Looking at this receipt also reminds me of the price inflation on cost of things now.

IMG_2612.JPG

Is this joke??? You yell and make scene over $1.50 USD each? I'm Argentine and have been paying this cubierto fee for many years. Not in all restaurants but many nice place have it. The fee is always reasonable fee to help the restaurant provide the extra. If you are so cheap and won't pay it you can ask restaurant before you sit down if they charge a fee.

All business very difficult to operate now. This fee help restaurant stay in business. It strange to me to see the people complain about this fee. I read before another expat poster complain about this fee. Worst thing is you people have USD and you complain for such small fee. When you travel in foreign country you have to know the customs and norms in that country instead of acting like fool.

You should go back and apologize for acting like fool and claim to be ignorant tourist that does not know better.
It not joke! I hear a few times in restaurants tourists complain about this and think it some restaurant stealing from them. I am always surprised by this. Many times in Europe I see this cubierto charge too. I never can believe that tourists that make so much money in dollars complain for this small fee.

I was with my grandmother eating in restaurant yesterday. I see American family there and eating many portions of bread and comment how delicious it is. Over and over and then when bill came they also complain about this fee. I think it make tourists look bad when they complain about this small fee. Maybe someone can educate them to learn about these things before raising voice.

I always surprised that the American not afraid to raise their voice and argue for small thing.

It not joke! I hear a few times in restaurants tourists complain about this and think it some restaurant stealing from them. I am always surprised by this. Many times in Europe I see this cubierto charge too. I never can believe that tourists that make so much money in dollars complain for this small fee.

I was with my grandmother eating in restaurant yesterday. I see American family there and eating many portions of bread and comment how delicious it is. Over and over and then when bill came they also complain about this fee. I think it make tourists look bad when they complain about this small fee. Maybe someone can educate them to learn about these things before raising voice.

I always surprised that the American not afraid to raise their voice and argue for small thing.

Sorry got to doubt this the bread here is awful, hard and stale. I can't imagine anyone from a western country being impressed by the bread here LOL.

I bought a choripan from the corner of Diaz Velez and Pringles and the bread was so perfect beautiful and soft. What I've been searching for since I came here. Unfortunately the chef was either having a bad day or just hated shankees because he was not interested at all in a conversation about his bread and where to get it

I would literally pay a $100 USD finders fee to someone who could get me a steady supply of this bread

Sorry got to doubt this the bread here is awful, hard and stale. I can't imagine anyone from a western country being impressed by the bread here LOL.

I bought a choripan from the corner of Diaz Velez and Pringles and the bread was so perfect beautiful and soft. What I've been searching for since I came here. Unfortunately the chef was either having a bad day or just hated shankees because he was not interested at all in a conversation about his bread and where to get it

I would literally pay a $100 USD finders fee to someone who could get me a steady supply of this bread
Wow this is the 2nd post I read about anti-gringo attitude. Is this really true? Are others seeing this? I have not noticed this at all.

I also don't like the bread here compared to the US. @HannibalLector was that place you went to called Parilla 83? If so I went there and they had great choripan. My wife's aunt was in the hospital near there and it sounds like the place I went to. I agree with you the bread was soft like it came right out of the oven. I think in today's economy they are mostly selling stale old bread in many joints.

What is name of the restaurant @HannibalLector??? For $100 USD I will go there and find out where they get this bread!!! You tell me and I find for you.

Several restaurants while I was in BA charged this cubierto charge. I didn't mind it. Same thing when I went to Italy.

I saw this online although I am not sure if restaurants follow it or not.

I am not sure if this post was a joke or is true. I can't imagine making a big scene like this over 1,500 pesos. I think if gringos are really acting like this it might explain why some are saying anti-gringo sentiment!

Quite honestly if you are complaining about 1,500 pesos then you can't afford to be living in Buenos Aires. Tourists are going to get a bad name if people are complaining about being charged a cubierto fee. Good grief!

Quite honestly if you are complaining about 1,500 pesos then you can't afford to be living in Buenos Aires. Tourists are going to get a bad name if people are complaining about being charged a cubierto fee. Good grief!
Point taken! I stand corrected!! I just did not see this before on bills but everyone is correct that some places change this. I went to one of my normal places this weekend - Pippo and I did notice they also charged me a fee. Not as much as the other place but yes I was charged a cubierto fee and gladly paid it this time! It says right on the menu about it. I guess I did not ever pay attention. But this matches that link that says it is not charged to kids under 12 years old.

pippo.jpg

My next question which may be stupid but according to all of you I am a fool! Do you leave less of a tip if they charge this fee? Is this fee going to the waiter at all or only restaurant?

Point taken! I stand corrected!! I just did not see this before on bills but everyone is correct that some places change this. I went to one of my normal places this weekend - Pippo and I did notice they also charged me a fee. Not as much as the other place but yes I was charged a cubierto fee and gladly paid it this time! It says right on the menu about it. I guess I did not ever pay attention. But this matches that link that says it is not charged to kids under 12 years old.

View attachment 3847

My next question which may be stupid but according to all of you I am a fool! Do you leave less of a tip if they charge this fee? Is this fee going to the waiter at all or only restaurant?
My friend said that none of this cubierto goes to the worker. She asked at a few places and they said it goes only to the restaurant owner. But she said some places you can tell them you don't want the bread and they won't charge. But I am not clear on if this is always the case. She doesn't eat bread and at one place she asked and they waived the fee since she didn't eat any but probably a good idea to ask the waiter. With Google Translate it should be very easy these days.

Definitely tip the 10% on the entire amount from everything I am reading. Tipping 10% seems to be the norm in Argentina.

View attachment 3847

Always tip 10% on the total. The restaurants do NOT give any of this to the wait staff. You will see many restaurants will go out of business in Buenos Aires this year. Prices on utilities, rent and everything will go up. Wages are sure to go up. Once you see this happen many places will go out of business.

Oh my. I can't believe you made such a scene for a small amount of money. When in a foreign country know the norms and customs of the locals. It's a good way to cause problems for yourself if you don't know them.
I agree with this statement. If foreigners act like this then the locals will turn against tourists. Difficult economic times and locals suffering to deal with impossible tourist acting like this.

Shame on you.

Back