Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Food & Drink Are there any good quality seafood restaurants in Buenos Aires? Most are poor quality and blah

Uncle Wong

I've been here a few weeks and besides Osaka I haven't really found good quality seafood that is very fresh. I was surprised by that. I thought being near the water, Argentina would have much better quality seafood. Down when I visited Patagonia there was much better seafood and they had amazing smoked Trout there everywhere. But here it's mostly shrimp that seems like it's frozen and some salmon which also isn't the freshest.

Osaka is very good but it definitely breaks the bank. I went to La Mar and it was also good but also USA prices. Are there any where that has good seafood? I went to some places TripAdvisor said was good but it was very blah.

I've been here a few weeks and besides Osaka I haven't really found good quality seafood that is very fresh. I was surprised by that. I thought being near the water, Argentina would have much better quality seafood. Down when I visited Patagonia there was much better seafood and they had amazing smoked Trout there everywhere. But here it's mostly shrimp that seems like it's frozen and some salmon which also isn't the freshest.

Osaka is very good but it definitely breaks the bank. I went to La Mar and it was also good but also USA prices. Are there any where that has good seafood? I went to some places TripAdvisor said was good but it was very blah.
Seafood mostly sucks in Buenos Aires which is a shame. I totally agree with you that it is just not good for a city of its size.

Osaka by far is the best seafood in the city but as you mentioned, it's expensive. My other favorite is Restaurante Lima Estilo Nikkei Pacheco. It also isn't cheap and you can easily drop a few hundred dollars there with 2 people. But the quality is very high. Service last time was very slow but ask for Alexander. He is the best server there and a very funny guy.

I also like Picaron which has some seafood dishes as well. The menu is always changing. But they usually have some seafood dishes. Everything is very high quality there and prices are reasonable there. But it's always packed so make reservations or you won't get in.

Gran Dabbang often has some seafood dishes. Crizia and Roux also have some seafood. Some people like La Pescadorita but I don't think the seafood is fabulous for the prices that they charge. It's around the corner from one of the apartments in Palermo Hollywood that I own. It's ok and maybe the largest selection of seafood besides the ones I mentioned above. They sometimes have a good fresh catch of the day.

For me, I hate paying mediocre for mediocre seafood in Buenos Aires. I'd rather pay more like at Osaka, La Mar, Lima Estilo and get GREAT seafood.

I agree down in Patagonia they have amazing fish. One of my favorite is the Trout down there which they have in just about every restaurant and mostly freshly caught that day or the day before. Also, in the South they have this crab called Centolla that is absolutely the most delicious but I think it's seasonal. I get it every time I'm down there.

Seafood mostly sucks in Buenos Aires which is a shame. I totally agree with you that it is just not good for a city of its size.

Osaka by far is the best seafood in the city but as you mentioned, it's expensive. My other favorite is Restaurante Lima Estilo Nikkei Pacheco. It also isn't cheap and you can easily drop a few hundred dollars there with 2 people. But the quality is very high. Service last time was very slow but ask for Alexander. He is the best server there and a very funny guy.

I also like Picaron which has some seafood dishes as well. The menu is always changing. But they usually have some seafood dishes. Everything is very high quality there and prices are reasonable there. But it's always packed so make reservations or you won't get in.

Gran Dabbang often has some seafood dishes. Crizia and Roux also have some seafood. Some people like La Pescadorita but I don't think the seafood is that great for the prices that they charge. It's around the corner from one of the apartments in Palermo Hollywood that I own. It's ok and maybe the largest selection of seafood besides the ones I mentioned above. They sometimes have a good fresh catch of the day.

For me, I hate paying mediocre for mediocre seafood in Buenos Aires. I'd rather pay more like at Osaka, La Mar, Lima Estilo and get GREAT seafood.

I agree down in Patagonia they have amazing fish. One of my favorite is the Trout down there which they have in just about every restaurant and mostly freshly caught that day or the day before. Also, in the South they have this crab called Centolla that is absolutely the most delicious but I think it's seasonal. I get it every time I'm down there.
I agree with @earlyretirement!

BA isn't known for its bounty of great seafood restaurants. The usual suspects for great sushi and ceviche and seafood are Osaka, La Mar and Lima. I like La Mar but it can get really expensive there too. The ceviche is very good there. But expect to drop a lot of money. But I too would rather spend more and get decent seafood vs. paying for crap.

Pescadorita on Humboldt is pretty good. (It is owned by the same people that run La Dorita steakhouses)

Some great seafood risottos and decent Paellas.

They also have some daily specials which will almost always have good fresh fish from the ocean or some river somewhere in the country.

One of the reasons for the lack of good fish restaurants is that probably 70% of the catch is exported in factory ships to Spain and China.

So as a result, the wholesale route to market is actually quite small. - in logistic terms the biggest seaport which lands fish is more than 4 hours from the capital.

Hake , squid and shrimp are the big items . Any salmon you see probably comes from Chile

Pescadorita on Humboldt is pretty good. (It is owned by the same people that run La Dorita steakhouses)

Some great seafood risottos and decent Paellas.

They also have some daily specials which will almost always have good fresh fish from the ocean or some river somewhere in the country.

One of the reasons for the lack of good fish restaurants is that probably 70% of the catch is exported in factory ships to Spain and China.

So as a result, the wholesale route to market is actually quite small. - in logistic terms the biggest seaport which lands fish is more than 4 hours from the capital.

Hake , squid and shrimp are the big items . Any salmon you see probably comes from Chile
Agreed. I like the paella at Pescadorita. Not as good as my mother from Spain but for BA probably as good as you get. You need to ask them for the fresh catch of the day. If you ask them to be honest and ask they will tell you.

True. The vast majority of seafood is all exported to other countries and not consumed here locally which is a shame but more $$$ abroad. Majority of even the salmon are NOT from Argentina as GlawgowJohn mentions.

I can't afford to go to Osaka. That would be a luxury for me. Right now I'm just trying to get by on the nice to try.

I agree BA doesn't have too many great seafood places. Most of the ones I go to are mentioned. The usual suspects. Osaka (both in Puerto Madero and Palermo Hollywood), La Mar (Palermo Hollywood). Pescadorita has been hit or miss for me. The seafood paella is usually good. The place is always packed. Mare (Puerto Madero) is pretty good.

I tried a new place a few weeks ago before I left BA and it was tasty. In San Telmo. A place called Puerta del Inca. The ceviche was very fresh. Good fish dishes too. It's a Peruvian place.

IG:

TripAdvisor:

Google Maps:

I used to buy and eat quality fish and seafood every week in Scotland. Given the size of coastline I thought I'd be able to do the same when coming to live here. I soon found out I was wrong with both the quality and variety severely lacking. Some decent prawns can be purchased however you end up paying more for the thick layer of ice they come in than the actual prawns themselves. (n)

I agree BA doesn't have too many great seafood places. Most of the ones I go to are mentioned. The usual suspects. Osaka (both in Puerto Madero and Palermo Hollywood), La Mar (Palermo Hollywood). Pescadorita has been hit or miss for me. The seafood paella is usually good. The place is always packed. Mare (Puerto Madero) is pretty good.

I tried a new place a few weeks ago before I left BA and it was tasty. In San Telmo. A place called Puerta del Inca. The ceviche was very fresh. Good fish dishes too. It's a Peruvian place.

IG:

TripAdvisor:

Google Maps:

Thank you for these options. I agree that BA doesn't have too many good seafood places other than places where I have to practically sell my kidneys to eat at.
I used to buy and eat quality fish and seafood every week in Scotland. Given the size of coastline I thought I'd be able to do the same when coming to live here. I soon found out I was wrong with both the quality and variety severely lacking. Some decent prawns can be purchased however you end up paying more for the thick layer of ice they come in than the actual prawns themselves. (n)
Ha, ha. Yes, funny about the ice! Nothing fresh. They save all the good stuff for other countries.

I went to La Pescadorita, and seriously, it was a total rip-off. Overpriced and the food? Disgusting. Not even a hint of flavor. I think the fish they all bring in is frozen and then defrosted. Was disgusting if you like really fresh stuff.

If you're craving legit seafood, skip the fancy places and hit up a Chinese joint. They get those sea creatures fresh, like still kicking fresh. And don't even get me started on the locals – they can't clean shrimp to save their lives. It's like they've never heard of taste.

Here's a rage-inducing fact: Crab and Lobster? Yeah, the Chinese joint's got them, and they know how to do them justice. So, next time, save yourself the disappointment, and demand that menu in Chinese. It's the only way to salvage a seafood disaster.

I went to La Pescadorita, and seriously, it was a total rip-off. Overpriced and the food? Disgusting. Not even a hint of flavor. I think the fish they all bring in is frozen and then defrosted. Was disgusting if you like really fresh stuff.

If you're craving legit seafood, skip the fancy places and hit up a Chinese joint. They get those sea creatures fresh, like still kicking fresh. And don't even get me started on the locals – they can't clean shrimp to save their lives. It's like they've never heard of taste.

Here's a rage-inducing fact: Crab and Lobster? Yeah, the Chinese joint's got them, and they know how to do them justice. So, next time, save yourself the disappointment, and demand that menu in Chinese. It's the only way to salvage a seafood disaster.
Really it's true? Which Chinese restaurants are good in BA? I go to Chinatown and most of the places I tried were not so good.

Agreed. I like the paella at Pescadorita. Not as good as my mother from Spain but for BA probably as good as you get. You need to ask them for the fresh catch of the day. If you ask them to be honest and ask they will tell you.

True. The vast majority of seafood is all exported to other countries and not consumed here locally which is a shame but more $$$ abroad. Majority of even the salmon are NOT from Argentina as GlawgowJohn mentions.

I can't afford to go to Osaka. That would be a luxury for me. Right now I'm just trying to get by on the nice to try.
If you like the paella at Pescadorita, try Plaza Mayor which is my favorite place for Paella. For Dessert wash it down with their pan dulce which is delicious!

If you like the paella at Pescadorita, try Plaza Mayor which is my favorite place for Paella. For Dessert wash it down with their pan dulce which is delicious!

I have been there and I find the food horrible. Maybe you have bad taste in food?

Try these instead:

Centro Asturiano (Spanish food)

Burladero (Spanish food)

Yovita (Peruvian food)

interesting to see if i could go to lunch with you and:
Pescadorita on Humboldt is pretty good. (It is owned by the same people that run La Dorita steakhouses). Some great seafood risottos and decent Paellas.
...to see if it's just preference, or if you had a bad experience at a different location.

i wonder the same about the several Parillas i've been to so far. in 6 weeks i have not had a good steak in BsAs. i had to buy some "expensive" 6000 Peso/kg steaks (about $6 USD per 2.2 pounds, or $2.75 USD per pound lol) and cook them myself, properly marinating them in the estadounidense way :)

interesting to see if i could go to lunch with you and:

...to see if it's just preference, or if you had a bad experience at a different location.

i wonder the same about the several Parillas i've been to so far. in 6 weeks i have not had a good steak in BsAs. i had to buy some "expensive" 6000 Peso/kg steaks (about $6 USD per 2.2 pounds, or $2.75 USD per pound lol) and cook them myself, properly marinating them in the estadounidense way :)
You are only Yanqui gringo that can't find a good steak in Argentina. We already know you very blind.

probably had 20 meals in pescadorita in the last two or three years.

Only disappointed one day when thy were extremely busy. Not a bad percentage in my opinion
I have been there many times. I agree that when it's very busy sometimes service and sometimes food isn't good. For seafood besides the crazy expensive places like La Mar, Osaka, etc it is decent.

If you want really good seafood and especially good paella go to this place. San Cipriano A bit off beaten path. About 15 minutes Uber from Caballito where my girlfriend lives but excellent fish market. My girlfriend would always get seafood from this place and cook for me.

Another good Paella restaurant in Caballito is Pucara. Never had a bad meal there and good Spanish food. Not the cheapest but not too bad either.

I just had an amazing dinner at La Mar the other night. It's the spot I always go if I want some great Seafood. I usually manage to make it here a few times while here for work. It's only about 5 blocks from one of the apartments I own so I come a lot for happy hour to meet friends and also for dinner. It's one of only 3 places in BA I like for Seafood. I will have to try some of these other places listed. Thanks everyone for sharing them.

IMG_1660.JPG
IMG_1659.JPG

IMG_1658.JPG

La Mar Receipt.JPG

Back