Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Are there many Haitians in Chile?

Uncle Wong

Lately I noticed a lot of Haitian refugees or immigrants while in Mexico. I just saw this video and was surprised to see Haitian immigrants all the way down in Chile. I didn't see any at all in Argentina but are there a lot in Chile? Anyone know why they are all the way down in Chile?

Yes there are several Haitians there in Chile. I saw many during my trip there last month. Sounds like an explosion. I asked the same question to the hotel and the guy at the hotel explained that in 2002 there were less than 50 but by this year he said there were over 250,000 or more. They just came as tourists and then overstayed.

He said a lot of Haitians were in Brazil but they left once the economy soured there and they came to Chile. Then people just told their friends and family about it and it skyrocketed.

It surprised me too since you don't see this in Argentina.

Wow I had no idea Chile had some many Haitians living there. Just looked it up and you're right Digital Nomad. Hopefully Argentina doesn't have this problem in the future. I am noticing issues with migrants all over the world now. USA is flooded in some cities as well and I am seeing this become an issue in the EU all over.

Up until now immigration hasn't been an issue but sounds like that could change in the future. Especially if some war breaks out in Europe.

Here in BA, we have what seems like an influx of Senegalese people. I think most of them live and work in the Once neighborhood, and now you can also see them in Flores. I have a friend who lives in the suburbs, and she mentioned that it’s full of them there too. They used to mostly sell jewelry, but now they’re also selling clothes and shoes to make a living.

But how can you tell if someone is Haitian or Senegalese? It’s almost impossible to distinguish them.

1724876230373.png1724876262561.png

You're right, it's hard to tell them apart. I've also seen them on Florida Street; I don't think they’re authorized to sell there, but I guess they’re willing to take the risk.

Here in BA, we have what seems like an influx of Senegalese people. I think most of them live and work in the Once neighborhood, and now you can also see them in Flores. I have a friend who lives in the suburbs, and she mentioned that it’s full of them there too. They used to mostly sell jewelry, but now they’re also selling clothes and shoes to make a living.

But how can you tell if someone is Haitian or Senegalese? It’s almost impossible to distinguish them.

View attachment 6964View attachment 6965
Interesting. I haven't noticed this before but then again I haven't been to Once or Flores since before Covid. Are these people that illegally overstayed or just people that immigrated here?

I have seen some Africans on Florida street. I am not sure where they are originally from but we spoke to a nice man and he was selling some jewelry. I was surprised that there aren't many black people in Buenos Aires. We only saw two our entire trip. I didn't even see any tourists.

I didn't realize Chile had so many people from Haiti. I knew there were many Venezuelans just like we have but very interesting how that population has grown there.

I went to a brothel / strip club in Santiago Chile. On San Francisco street in the centre. The front door security was a guy from Haiti.

While inside they stole my credit card and maxed it out. Anticipating this I only left like $100 in the card

I tried to reason with them because it was going to be hard to have a replacement card sent to Chile. "Let's make a deal, give me back my card and I won't call the bank and cancel the $100 of fraudulent charges. Everyone wins."

They wouldn't even speak to me inside but the Haitian at the door kept telling me to leave before I got really hurt.

So I left, called the bank and cancelled all charges. Scum

I went to a brothel / strip club in Santiago Chile. On San Francisco street in the centre. The front door security was a guy from Haiti.

While inside they stole my credit card and maxed it out. Anticipating this I only left like $100 in the card

I tried to reason with them because it was going to be hard to have a replacement card sent to Chile. "Let's make a deal, give me back my card and I won't call the bank and cancel the $100 of fraudulent charges. Everyone wins."

They wouldn't even speak to me inside but the Haitian at the door kept telling me to leave before I got really hurt.

So I left, called the bank and cancelled all charges. Scum
This is nuts. A place will never give back a card once they steal it. They are just hoping they will be able to buy some things before you report it stolen. They know nothing stopping you from reporting it stolen anyway. Did they make any other charges at places?

My friend also said he got his card cloned in Santiago and many charges were made. I am amazed in Argentina there isn't more credit card fraud but never had any problems here in Argentina with my credit cards.

This is nuts. A place will never give back a card once they steal it. They are just hoping they will be able to buy some things before you report it stolen. They know nothing stopping you from reporting it stolen anyway. Did they make any other charges at places?

My friend also said he got his card cloned in Santiago and many charges were made. I am amazed in Argentina there isn't more credit card fraud but never had any problems here in Argentina with my credit cards.

They kept charging drinks at $12 each until the balance was maxed and couldnt buy anymore. When I called the bank they just flagged them all and I had the money refunded to my account in less than a week.

Only problem was they cancelled my comprised card and it took me forever to get the replacement down here

They kept charging drinks at $12 each until the balance was maxed and couldnt buy anymore. When I called the bank they just flagged them all and I had the money refunded to my account in less than a week.

Only problem was they cancelled my comprised card and it took me forever to get the replacement down here
Like @Vince I am pleasantly surprised that I've never had any credit card fraud here in Buenos Aires. Prior to the MEP I didn't use my American credit cards here much at all but in the past 2 years I use them all the time and never had fraud. On the flip side I only go home to the States once a year and twice now I have gone and immediately had fraudulent charges during my trip. I'm not sure if the numbers were copied in restaurants or gas stations but there seems to be a big problem there with credit card skimmers. Never any problem here.

Back