Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Argentina’s Reign of Cash Tips Nears Its End Amid a Fintech Boom

Finance Prof

Mercado Pago is allowing local Argentines to leave tips now digitally. Not available yet for foreigners and tourists but it's coming soon.

Let's just hope that Argentina doesn't turn into a mass tipping culture like the USA has turned into where everyone expects a tip for doing nothing.
Agree. When I go to NYC every year every single place even when you pick up they have a screen with default tip at 18%. Some at 20%. It is a good thing they are giving an option to tip with card in Argentina. It's annoying to carrying around cash. Things will go the digital route here eventually. Already only 17% of supermarkets in May were made with cash which is very low.

I was surprised in that article to read that people run out of cellphone data at the end of the month. Don't most locals just have data plans that are unlimited? I thought prices were crazy cheap for cellphone data and service. I couldn't believe how cheap unlimited data was. Do people mostly not have those plans there?

It's official, in three months, the digital tipping system will be implemented. It will apply to restaurants, hotels, gas stations, and delivery services.

This will be great. I have a feeling digital payments will become the norm soon. I just hope the tipping culture doesn't get too extreme like in the States.

This will be great. I have a feeling digital payments will become the norm soon. I just hope the tipping culture doesn't get too extreme like in the States.
I doubt Argentineans would ever allow tipping culture to get out of hand. For one, they just don't have the extra cash to spare. Any time I leave more than 10% my local friends get angry with me as they say it will fowl things up for them. So I just stick with the 10% there for the most part. However, many times I just round up as they don't have change in many taxis. Now I mostly just use Uber so I don't have to deal with that. I wish they would allow credit cards in taxis. Sometimes I prefer taxis as they seem to be newer. Some Ubers are really horrible cars.

Just being able to pay with credit card at MEP is much much better than the situation years ago having to only pay with cash. Hopefully they get rid of CEPO and no difference between official and blue.

Finally! This will be helpful as this is one of the last things that I need to have cash for. I charge as much as I can but having to have cash for tips has been a royal pain in the ass. This is a common sense change that will be great. It should be great for service workers in restaurants.

The good news is that it will be tax-free, meaning they really thought it through when they set it up. We'll see how it works here since it's something pretty uncommon around in Argentina.

Good news!!...Starting this Thursday, digital tipping via the Mercado Pago app has been enabled for about 4,000 restaurants, with more restaurants to be added progressively. This is a great and practical initiative. The option is clearly defined in the app, making the process intuitive and easy to use.

1724094471909.jpeg1724094482790.jpeg

Good news!!...Starting this Thursday, digital tipping via the Mercado Pago app has been enabled for about 4,000 restaurants, with more restaurants to be added progressively. This is a great and practical initiative. The option is clearly defined in the app, making the process intuitive and easy to use.

View attachment 6913View attachment 6914
This is great. More and more opportunities to avoid having to deal with cash. As long as this tipping doesn't get out of hand like in the US.

It seems this might extend beyond just the gastronomic sector. On the positive side, by eliminating tax withholdings, merchants who use electronic payments won't have to deal with VAT and income tax deductions anymore. This could lead to more businesses accepting cards, making it more convenient for consumers and encouraging a more formal economy.

However, there's a downside, especially for those working off the books. This move could push more businesses towards card payments, complicating things for people who rely on cash to stay under the tax radar. For them, the well-known “10% cash discount” was a bit of relief, helping them save a little extra. With that gone, they might feel even more squeezed. It's a step towards modernization and transparency, but not everyone is in a position to benefit from these changes.

Back