Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Argentina and Uruguay Progress on Bilateral Permanent Residency and Licensing Agreement

legend

Argentina and Uruguay are negotiating to reach an agreement on permanent residency and degree validation. This will make travel between the two countries easier, is truly great news!

This agreement between Argentina and Uruguay on permanent residency and degree validation is awesome. It’s going to make it so much easier for people to move between the two countries and settle down without a hitch. Plus, recognizing academic degrees will help professionals find jobs and put their skills to good use, which is a win-win for both countries. Overall, it’s great news that will make life a lot simpler for everyone.

This agreement between Argentina and Uruguay on permanent residency and degree validation is awesome. It’s going to make it so much easier for people to move between the two countries and settle down without a hitch. Plus, recognizing academic degrees will help professionals find jobs and put their skills to good use, which is a win-win for both countries. Overall, it’s great news that will make life a lot simpler for everyone.
Until salaries come up will probably benefit Argentines more that are looking to live/work in Uruguay where the salaries are much higher. But cost of living is also much higher there.

But wasn't there already Mercosur where they could already work/live in the other countries? I guess this will make it even easier but it sounds like all these countries with Mercosur it is already very easy to live and work in the other countries. Will the "degree validation" really make much difference?

But wasn't there already Mercosur where they could already work/live in the other countries? I guess this will make it even easier but it sounds like all these countries with Mercosur it is already very easy to live and work in the other countries. Will the "degree validation" really make much difference?
Most probably will be much easier, degree validation sounds good, they'll also homologate the driver licenses so it can be used in both countries.

Researched a bit more: the treate between Uruguay and Brasil makes it easier to get residency you just have to provide passport and police background check. For Mercosur Visa you have to do more paperwork.

Researched a bit more: the treate between Uruguay and Brasil makes it easier to get residency you just have to provide passport and police background check. For Mercosur Visa you have to do more paperwork.
Correct. This is what my locals friends tell me as well. Mercosur still requires a mountain of paperwork and red tape. The government isn't particularly quick or efficient.

Correct. This is what my locals friends tell me as well. Mercosur still requires a mountain of paperwork and red tape. The government isn't particularly quick or efficient.
For getting the Colombian Mercosur visa I had to present:
  • Cover letter
  • Police background check with apostille
  • ID Picture
  • Bank statements signed by an accountant
@Uncle Wong Plus the mercosur visa expires after 2 years, then you need 5 more years for permanent residency. This bi-lateral agreement gives you direct and permanent residence.

For getting the Colombian Mercosur visa I had to present:
  • Cover letter
  • Police background check with apostille
  • ID Picture
  • Bank statements signed by an accountant
@Uncle Wong Plus the mercosur visa expires after 2 years, then you need 5 more years for permanent residency. This bi-lateral agreement gives you direct and permanent residence.
Wow that sounds very quick and easy for Colombia. I wonder if it's that easy for Argentina. NOTHING here that I've seen with the government is quick and easy but that would be nice if it's really that easy.

Wow that sounds very quick and easy for Colombia. I wonder if it's that easy for Argentina. NOTHING here that I've seen with the government is quick and easy but that would be nice if it's really that easy.
Actually I don't think the process for Mercosur is too difficult in Argentina. I met a Colombian girl in Buenos Aires and it is like @enbits said. She got it for 2 years but she got a DNI pretty easily. I'm not sure if it took her 5 more years after that. I'm not sure of all the circumstances but I'm pretty sure she has only been in Argentina 3 years and she has permanent residency. She said it was very easy to get paperwork so she could go to University here and also could work right away.

Seems like a really sweet deal for people in other less desirable countries like Venezuela and Colombia to come here. I just can't figure out how Argentina can afford to pay for their University students. Very very generous. Can Argentines go to these other countries and study free like Argentina? I assume not because the girl told me the entire reason she came here to Argentina was because college was free and in Colombia it's too expensive. So I assume Argentines can't go to Colombia to study University free? @enbits do you know?

I guess it should be simple to get, that's the intent of the Mercosur Visa. From what I read, in Argentina you need similar paperwork: except no need to present bank statements, but they ask for a birth certificate and utility bills. Also is really cheap (less than 2 dollars), I paid around US$ 300 for the Colombian one.

I think bureaucracy will get easier with time, the goverment is planning to discuss a new big pack of laws to de-regulate the economy and reduce bureaucracy.

Actually I don't think the process for Mercosur is too difficult in Argentina. I met a Colombian girl in Buenos Aires and it is like @enbits said. She got it for 2 years but she got a DNI pretty easily. I'm not sure if it took her 5 more years after that. I'm not sure of all the circumstances but I'm pretty sure she has only been in Argentina 3 years and she has permanent residency. She said it was very easy to get paperwork so she could go to University here and also could work right away.

Seems like a really sweet deal for people in other less desirable countries like Venezuela and Colombia to come here. I just can't figure out how Argentina can afford to pay for their University students. Very very generous. Can Argentines go to these other countries and study free like Argentina? I assume not because the girl told me the entire reason she came here to Argentina was because college was free and in Colombia it's too expensive. So I assume Argentines can't go to Colombia to study University free? @enbits do you know?
There's no reciprocity, government is planning to let the universities decide wether if they want to charge to foreigners or not. Free university for students seems wonderful, but that means that the tax payers have to afford it.

There's no reciprocity, government is planning to let the universities decide wether if they want to charge to foreigners or not. Free university for students seems wonderful, but that means that the tax payers have to afford it.
Yeah "free" typically isn't free. Someone else is paying for it. I also met some girls in Colombia while I was there that studied free in Argentina and then moved back to Colombia. They said the same thing that they could move to Argentina and just had to pay for their room and board but university is free. Argentina should charge for this in the future. I'm not sure how many foreign students there are but there must be a lot as I heard about it from several people.

Are there a lot of people from Uruguay that want to live in Buenos Aires? I would think with the lower salaries not many would want to work there.

Back