Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Taxes Argentina May Issue Bond to Pay $16 Billion Award in YPF Lawsuit - Bloomberg

Wally

Axel Kicillof is a moron. It's his fault Argentina owes so much for this YPF fiasco. Classic they will name the tax after him.

He became Governor because he is CFK's favourite baby and leads her party in the province - there is no other reason.

There are a lot more intelligent people than him but CFK never saw him as a threat to her family's overall control
Yes, I agree with you. I wonder how President Milei will do. I know we need these changes to improve Argentina but I hope people give him time to see if his changes work. @GlasgowJohn What you think the blue dollar will do after January? It go up?

@Esposas , if I knew what will happen to the Blue Dollar next month, I would be selling consulting services to multinational companies!:cool::cool::cool:

Most people are impressed that the Milei team has brought the huge official/blue gap down to 20%.
The big question is how much time will he be allowed to fix things? He and most sensible people know he was left a ticking inflation bomb by Alberto and Massa. Can he defuse this?

All of us who make money in USD, GBP, or EUR keep looking at the Blue value, but I feel the inflation problem is the one that the government wants to solve first.

They are partially related but right now we have a stable Blue rate , which indicates the markets are confident that things are going in the right direction.

But we all know stability could stop tomorrow for reasons that no one really comprehends.

@Esposas , if I knew what will happen to the Blue Dollar next month, I would be selling consulting services to multinational companies!:cool::cool::cool:

Most people are impressed that the Milei team has brought the huge official/blue gap down to 20%.
The big question is how much time will he be allowed to fix things? He and most sensible people know he was left a ticking inflation bomb by Alberto and Massa. Can he defuse this?

All of us who make money in USD, GBP, or EUR keep looking at the Blue value, but I feel the inflation problem is the one that the government wants to solve first.

They are partially related but right now we have a stable Blue rate , which indicates the markets are confident that things are going in the right direction.

But we all know stability could stop tomorrow for reasons that no one really comprehends.
This is one of the most sensible posts I have read on this forum. I totally agree with you @GlasgowJohn. I am also very impressed the spread between the two is so close. I don't think that can last for too long but as you said, if I knew that then I would be rich! Far smarter people than me, even my friends in the banking sector here that admit they don't know how things will turn out.

I agree the biggest important factor is how much time the locals will give him. It seems like people are stuck in 4 camps. 1) is my friends that wanted Massa to win. Mostly because they are wealthy and already have USD and I think (they don't admit it to me) they would benefit from a big spread between the blue and white; 2) People that would benefit from a big spread but they want to see Argentina improve because they have children and would like to see some Argentina for them to grow up in; 3) Argentines that already left Argentina and want to see Milei improve things; 4) Locals that wanted Massa to win because they really honestly believe the status quo is more predictable and even though Argentina would never improve or solve the solutions they somehow believe he would be better and will blame Milei.

The big unknown to me is once subsidies end with subte/buses, electricity/gas/water and everything else how much patience people will have. So far I'm impressed with their approach on things.

Great for Burford investors!

“President Milei is exactly what Argentina needs to rebuild credibility in the international credit markets," Chris DeMuth Jr, Partner of Rangeley Capital, told Seeking Alpha in an interview. "He intends to pay his debts. This is ideal for Burford, but also good for YPF and Argentina generally. I am long both equities and helped finance this litigation so it is great news that he has a plan to solve this situation.”

If he is going to be petty and call this the Kicillof tax then we will call the 35% monthly inflation that Milei admits we will see the Javier Milei Inflation. This seems to be an accurate description of what we will see!

Sure by all means if you can keep a straight face while lying to yourself about what caused it in the first place. You and all your Peronista friends stay in denial and tell yourself that hyperinflation wouldn't be happening if Massa won. Look at all the international community. They are celebrating a Milei Presidency. Look at the very small difference between white and blue rate. In case you didn't notice this is a GOOD thing. You dolt.

Sure by all means if you can keep a straight face while lying to yourself about what caused it in the first place. You and all your Peronista friends stay in denial and tell yourself that hyperinflation wouldn't be happening if Massa won. Look at all the international community. They are celebrating a Milei Presidency. Look at the very small difference between white and blue rate. In case you didn't notice this is a GOOD thing. You dolt.
Seriously, think about something carefully. How many times have incoming Argentinian leaders gotten a nice, happy healthy economy and working Argentina to take over? Spoiler alert: NEVER! It's always been a mess, and Milei's team knew what they signed up for.

So, sure, he rants and raves, throws around terms like public emergencies --seriously, what even are those? Sounds like a fancy way to complain too much!. But hey, he wanted the gig! And if all he brings is a whopping 35% inflation each month and a tough time for the middle class, then he's not acing it. And you can't just go, "Oh, but poor guy inherited a crisis," OK? Time to grow up.

Seriously, think about something carefully. How many times have incoming Argentinian leaders gotten a nice, happy healthy economy and working Argentina to take over? Spoiler alert: NEVER! It's always been a mess, and Milei's team knew what they signed up for.

So, sure, he rants and raves, throws around terms like public emergencies --seriously, what even are those? Sounds like a fancy way to complain too much!. But hey, he wanted the gig! And if all he brings is a whopping 35% inflation each month and a tough time for the middle class, then he's not acing it. And you can't just go, "Oh, but poor guy inherited a crisis," OK? Time to grow up.
Yeah, totally get it! But we gotta give it some time to see if the things he's doing can fix the inflation. You know, like, policies and interest rates don't work right away. There's, like, a delay in how they affect the economy. You think it's fair to bitch and moan after a few DAYS?!

So, if in, like, 2 or 3 YEARS, the inflation is even worse than when he started, then we can be like, "Whoa, Milei didn't do so great."

Blaming a president for, like, 35% inflation per month after just 2 weeks in charge is kinda not fair, you know? Or do you have some other expert opinion? LOL.

I am not an expert economist but sme people need to get serious and ask themselves how 35/40 inflation actually occurs.

Does it happen after ten days ?

Or does it happen after printing bank notes month after month , year after year, to finance fiscal deficits you have no real intention of controlling?

I am not an expert economist but sme people need to get serious and ask themselves how 35/40 inflation actually occurs.

Does it happen after ten days ?

Or does it happen after printing bank notes month after month , year after year, to finance fiscal deficits you have no real intention of controlling?
Amen my friend. I don't think many people understand how numbers work. Many people are in total denial. The same thing happens in the USA. I'm battling a Board of Directors that I used to be on for common sense number issues. They don't know how basic math works!

@Larry , the fault is clearly with CFK and Kiciloff- They wanted to privatize a company without paying attention to international law. You make a mess of it, you have to pay what the courts tell you.

They thought they could do what they wanted to without paying attention to the world outside Argentina. Now the tax payers have to pay the fines.

@Larry , the fault is clearly with CFK and Kiciloff- They wanted to privatize a company without paying attention to international law. You make a mess of it, you have to pay what the courts tell you.

They thought they could do what they wanted to without paying attention to the world outside Argentina. Now the tax payers have to pay the fines.
EXACTLY correct. I'm not sure how someone can honestly ask or state, "I'm not sure whose fault this is". LOL. Very comical to pretend you don't know who is at fault. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. CFK and Kiciloff did a LOT of crimes! Now the Argentines are doing the "time".

But Argentina will probably never have to pay for this. I'm not sure. I think Kirchner and Kiciloff thought it was a good idea back then and they were acting in the best interests of Argentina. Kiciloff is beloved by many and the reason he is an elected official. The people have spoken!

Back