Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Argentina on the Couch - The country has the world’s highest concentration of therapists.

Vince

Argentina has the most therapists per capita than anywhere in the world. Most people I know go to one including me, my wife and one of my kids. Never would think about doing this in the USA but here it is beneficial, affordable and very easy.

Can confirm. My girlfriend and her entire family all go to therapists. Many here just start from when they are very young so it is normal for them. Insurance seems to cover it on almost all private policies so maybe that helps too. But it's not expensive like it would be in other parts of the world.

Prices largely depend on the location of the office and the type of therapy the patient needs, whether it's psychoanalysis, cognitive-behavioral therapy, rational emotive therapy, etc. Currently, sessions cost between ARS 15,000 and ARS 25,000. This site gives us an idea of the current rates and even has a different rate for foreigners. I wonder why Argentina has the highest number of psychologists per capita.

Prices largely depend on the location of the office and the type of therapy the patient needs, whether it's psychoanalysis, cognitive-behavioral therapy, rational emotive therapy, etc. Currently, sessions cost between ARS 15,000 and ARS 25,000. This site gives us an idea of the current rates and even has a different rate for foreigners. I wonder why Argentina has the highest number of psychologists per capita.

I have a local friend who is a psychologist, and we often talk about this. There are many factors, but the main one is a psychological paradigm.

Argentina is one of the few countries where psychoanalysis still predominates. Psychoanalysis isn't necessarily aimed at treating disorders; many people go to talk about life, vent, out of habit, for self-awareness, etc.

This implies two things:

1. People here go to the psychologist for any topic, whereas in the rest of the world, people usually go to resolve specific disorders or crises. There are many more patients and thus a higher demand for psychologists.
  2. Psychoanalytic therapy generally doesn't work with therapeutic goals, so it can last for years and years. Again, this leads to more patients and demand.
Additionally, going to the psychologist is culturally well-regarded here, whereas in the rest of the world, going to therapy carries the perceived implication of having a disorder, which often comes with social stigma.

I have a local friend who is a psychologist, and we often talk about this. There are many factors, but the main one is a psychological paradigm.

Argentina is one of the few countries where psychoanalysis still predominates. Psychoanalysis isn't necessarily aimed at treating disorders; many people go to talk about life, vent, out of habit, for self-awareness, etc.

This implies two things:

1. People here go to the psychologist for any topic, whereas in the rest of the world, people usually go to resolve specific disorders or crises. There are many more patients and thus a higher demand for psychologists.
  2. Psychoanalytic therapy generally doesn't work with therapeutic goals, so it can last for years and years. Again, this leads to more patients and demand.
Additionally, going to the psychologist is culturally well-regarded here, whereas in the rest of the world, going to therapy carries the perceived implication of having a disorder, which often comes with social stigma.
This is correct. This is a very high stress city/country so there is more demand.

I think this article is older or these prices are lower. I got a few quotes and talked to friends and most are paying the equivalent of about $20 to $25 USD per hour. I realize I might be getting gringo rate but my friends told me they are paying the same and they are locals. The one I talked to I'm paying 28,000 pesos per session.

I totally agree about beneficial aspects of talking to a therapist. Not only personally but professionally it can help quite a bit as well. I posted some insights about why there are so many therapists on a different thread which I'm posting below. Argentina is one very screwed up country and a lot of stress to deal with daily and part of the reason why there are so many people going to therapy.

I still am using the same therapist I found and she is great. I've referred her to about 10 friend and they all have raved about her. I am still paying $25 USD per session which I consider great value. As I mentioned before, it's at least 10 X that amount in the USA and some were as much as $400 USD per session.

Most of my friends in Buenos Aires all talk to a therapist and have their entire adult lives. The great thing with technology/Zoom is there is NO need to pay expensive therapists in the USA when you can find someone in Buenos Aires.

This is correct. This is a very high stress city/country so there is more demand.

I think this article is older or these prices are lower. I got a few quotes and talked to friends and most are paying the equivalent of about $20 to $25 USD per hour. I realize I might be getting gringo rate but my friends told me they are paying the same and they are locals. The one I talked to I'm paying 28,000 pesos per session.
Oh yes! they have special fees for foreigners.

1722371617587.jpeg

Oh yes! they have special fees for foreigners.

View attachment 6770
I have a friend there that is a therapist and she charges everyone the same. But it's impossible not to market her services in dollars because the exchange rate fluctuates so greatly. Going rate seems to be about $20 bucks per session. Doesn't seem that much for us but for a local earning pesos that is a lot of money.

Back