Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Argentina ranked as the #1 most miserable country in the world.

I'm not sure who Hanke is but that article makes it sounds like he knew what he was talking about. But no way Argentina deserves to be below Venezuela or Lebonon and Syria. Crazy.

In Argentina, he advised President Carlos Menem from 1989 to 1999 and minister of economy Domingo Cavallo from 1995 to 1996. Hanke also served as President of Toronto Trust Argentina in Buenos Aires when it was the world’s best-performing emerging market mutual fund in 1995.

Lists like this are looking at specific things like unemployment, inflation and bank-lending rates. Argentina has had some of the worst inflation around the world for years.

The hope is that Argentina will drastically improve inflation in the future. It's already coming down. Unfortunately, unemployment will most likely get worse and he has a double weight for unemployment. But no way you can argue quality of life is worse in Argentina than Venezuela. The fact that so many people from Venezuala flee to Argentina is proof of that. I don't see any Argentines fleeing to Venezuela.

By his measure using unemployment and inflation and bank lending rates, I don't think it really paints the entire picture when it comes to "misery". I look more at quality of life when looking at countries. Argentina has almost always been a mess. In between short periods of calm there is usual chaos and because of that, locals are accustomed to live with chaos.

But I know many people in Argentina who don't make much money but are very happy. Life is fairly stable and the city is still safe. You can't say the same thing for a lot of countries around the world including Venezuela. I have been to Venezuela a few times but not in the past many years. I have no desire to go there. I have no desire to visit, Lebanon or Syria.Sudan or Zimbabwe but I think it's safe to say life in Argentina is much higher quality of life for most people.

I just got back from spending some time in Turkey and was blown away by how nice that country is. I know they have experienced some economic problems but a beautiful country and very safe.

Beautiful city. Tons of problems most of which won't be resolved for years. Hopefully President Milei can get things on the right track but even he is saying this will take decades.
And from what I understand, if the people turn against him and he were to lose power, the next President could come in and undo many of the things he did?

Sad that Argentina is making some of the list of most miserable country in the world. Even Venezuela is ranked higher than Argentina. A good analysis of why Argentina will stay miserable under Milei.

View attachment 6526

It's not surprising. While foreign investments are on the rise, unemployment is also high. So far this year, 92,000 jobs have been lost. I understand that some of these are in the public sector, and I agree with letting go of people who don't work, the so-called "ñoquis" here. However, a large portion of these layoffs is in the private sector, especially among SMEs. Many are expected to close due to the crisis and their inability to sustain themselves, as this is one of the hardest-hit areas. They’re trying to hold on, but the economic situation is forcing many to shut down.

Very sad to see people like this. These kind of ignorant people voted for Milei thinking things would get better but instead he caused them to lose their jobs. Eventually after a few more months of not working or finding a job they will see the light and regret their vote.

Dude, that rank is from 2023 so if you wanted to blame Milei for it you failed!

Interesting I will research about Venezuela's residency, since I'll be better in that dictatorship than in Argentina. 🤡

(I'm sad that this beautiful forum is being attacked by trolls btw.)

Milei's austerity measures are increasing poverty levels. According to the Catholic University of Argentina, 55% of the population is now living in poverty, and one in five Argentinians is classified as indigent. Although inflation has decreased, many people are still severely impacted by the economic crisis. It's a sad situation.

1722872759126.jpeg

Milei's austerity measures are increasing poverty levels. According to the Catholic University of Argentina, 55% of the population is now living in poverty, and one in five Argentinians is classified as indigent. Although inflation has decreased, many people are still severely impacted by the economic crisis. It's a sad situation.

View attachment 6813
You're right; even though inflation is supposedly going down, it still significantly impacts people's wallets. Many people I know are adjusting their purchases by taking advantage of wholesale offers, switching to cheaper brands, or adapting their meals to more economical options. It's a tough situation because even a small increase in prices can make a big difference in daily life. While the numbers might say inflation is decreasing, the everyday reality feels different. For most people, it's a constant struggle to make ends meet, and I see more people looking for ways to stretch their money further. It's frustrating because it seems like we're not seeing the benefits of lower inflation in our daily expenses.

Yes, you're right. According to a study, Argentinians have had to adjust their spending, change their diet, and switch to more affordable products. This reflects their ability to overcome tough situations, though the situation remains unfortunate.

In the midst of an economic crisis, opinions on the situation vary depending on who you ask. While the agricultural sector sees signs of improvement, SMEs face serious challenges and accuse the government of harming the national industry. Not to mention the middle class, which has been hit hardest so far. Ultimately, it all depends on how you look at it.

Back