Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Argentina spends $300 Million USD on 24 used F-16 Jets from Denmark

Digital Nomad

I noticed this in the news. I thought no hay plata? Argentina seems like a neutral country. Does it really need military jets like this? $300 million bucks is a big chunk of change. Is this necessary? I noticed the CIA and US military was recently in Argentina. Does this have something to do with it? Will the USA finance this for them?

Too early to jump to conclusions. Need more info to see what's happening.
Maybe. But just bad timing. I think maybe a change for Argentina is good but Milei is spending too much time outside of Argentina. Going to go receive awards, going to Israel, etc etc is not a good idea. Just focus on Argentina.

Total waste of money. People starving in the streets and supposedly no hay plata but wasting hundreds of millions? He out of touch with reality.

The US does not want Chinese-made planes in Argentina that's why the Danish deal has been approved. I am pretty sure that Milei did not have much of a choice on this.

Because of the Falklands War, the UK exerted a lot of pressure on its allies to restrict aircraft and defense equipment sales to Argentina. The old French-made Mirage aircraft bought in the '80s, which couldn't be replaced, were finally decommissioned ten or so years ago, Argentina’s Air Force does need overhauling. The Chinese found a way to circumvent those restrictions and made an offer to the previous Argentine government (btw, India also wanted to sell aircraft to AR).

It has been reported that the planes will be delivered in the next few years and banks and the U.S. will finance the deal.

Does anyone know anything about jets? How long is the useful life? Buying 30 year old jets doesn't seem the brightest idea if they don't last long.

Does anyone know anything about jets? How long is the useful life? Buying 30 year old jets doesn't seem the brightest idea if they don't last long.

Jets don't last in "years". They usually count flight hours. I've been told F16's usually are 8,000 to 12,000 flight hours.

Back