Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Economy Argentina's Government Removes Price Caps on Cable, Mobile Phone, and Internet Rates

PatriciaL

The telecommunications companies regain the ability to freely set their prices. I just hope it doesn't end up like what happened with private health insurance.

I thought they already had that right.

My cellphone company has increased prices every month since January above the inflation rate.
Same for me @GlasgowJohn. I move to BA last year and shocked when my medical coverage payment skyrocket up. I sign up in October 2023 and by march it went up 200%. My cellphone also go up. I had 6 months special price with internet but now they raise price too. I was told I have to call in and threaten to cancel but today I call and they tell me ok they will cancel and I must have internet. I am afraid now prices will skyrocket up.

Still, I'm very grateful to live in Argentina. Wonderful country. My country of Russia impossible to live as my husband must fight in war if we stayed. Every month more of our friends move here to Argentina. God bless your country.

My cellphone company has increased prices every month since January above the inflation rate.
Funny. I was thinking the same thing @GlasgowJohn! The prices of cable and also phone have gone up. I hope this isn't like the medical bills. They said they would refund the increases but I never got any increases and my premium is still much higher than last year.

The problem on this is once they raise rates typically they never lower them back. I do understand the government's point about allowing private companies to charge what they want but what typically happens is companies collude with one another and all raise prices together.

The telecommunications companies regain the ability to freely set their prices. I just hope it doesn't end up like what happened with private health insurance.

Oh boy. This is NOT good news.

I agree. I thought it was only me. Which company do you use @GlasgowJohn? If they were already raising all of this year I wonder how much they will raise now???