Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Argentines are an angry society. Is it just me??

Blockchain

So I'm a few weeks in my trip and something I noticed is a lot of Argentines are very angry people. I see and hear people fighting in the streets. In the supermarket I hear people yelling at cashiers. In restaurants I hear people arguing too. Same thing in some cafes. I have traveled around Latin America a good bit but I haven't seen anything like this. I generally do like Buenos Aires but I was curious if this is just me? It can't just be me.

Do you all notice it as well? In Mexico, Colombia, Peru, Uruguay people were very calm and friendly and I don't recall hearing so many people yelling at one another.

What gives?

It is definitely not just you. People here are on edge because economy is so rotten. It was much better before. Even with bad economy people I don't recall were so angry. Take the situation of high inflation, high unemployment with no hopes of getting a job anytime soon and recession and many are angry.

You will hear a lot of yelling like this from people losing their jobs and you will hear much more of this. Right now there aren't many people hiring employees and more will be shutting down. Very sad situation.

So I'm a few weeks in my trip and something I noticed is a lot of Argentines are very angry people. I see and hear people fighting in the streets. In the supermarket I hear people yelling at cashiers. In restaurants I hear people arguing too. Same thing in some cafes. I have traveled around Latin America a good bit but I haven't seen anything like this. I generally do like Buenos Aires but I was curious if this is just me? It can't just be me.

Do you all notice it as well? In Mexico, Colombia, Peru, Uruguay people were very calm and friendly and I don't recall hearing so many people yelling at one another.

What gives?
It is definitely not you. I am not as well traveled as some of you. I want to visit more of South America. I do notice that some here like to argue. I joke with my girlfriend about this. It is just the bad economy I think. From what I hear, the economy has been bad here for the past several decades. Always a crises. I went to Uruguay and the people there seem mas tranquilo. My girlfriend admitted that Argentines are a bit hot headed.

What gives?
Locals will probably never admit this phenomenon but it more or less true for some segment of society here. They are friendly enough but I have traveled around Latin America and agree people here compared to some countries can seem a bit hot headed. A big part probably due to the economy here. Another part the corruption here and mostly the inefficiency here. Nothing works as it should.

What gives?
If you think that why don't you leave? No one is forcing you to stay here.

What gives?
If you think that why not go to Mexico or Colombia? People very friendly here to you tourist and foreigner people. People always comment to me how much they like it here.

I'm glad it's not just me. I don't mean any offense by this post. I like this city. I am leaving next week and sad.

I haven’t had any issues here and people are friendly to me. I do now and then see people blow up but that’s to be expected under the circumstances.
Yes I'm not saying it's everyone but probably a day doesn't go by when I don't hear some blow up between locals. Also my Spanish isn't good but I try. People here get frustrated and impatient when I try. In other countries I have been to they smile more and appreciate when I speak Spanish. Here not so much. People are friendly and that wasn't my point. Only that I see and hear a lot of people yelling.

If you think that why don't you leave? No one is forcing you to stay here.
Relax dude. Can no one mention anything negative on this forum? I can't be the only one that thinks everything is perfect here and the other posts prove it.

If you think that why not go to Mexico or Colombia? People very friendly here to you tourist and foreigner people. People always comment to me how much they like it here.
I like visiting those other countries and will continue to. Many people are friendly but people should be able to take some constructive commentary without getting offended.

The economic situation in Argentina has been tough in recent years, and that definitely affects people's moods. There are several factors contributing to the general bad mood:

Economic Crisis: High inflation, the devaluation of the peso, and economic uncertainty create stress and worry. When the cost of living goes up and purchasing power goes down, it's hard to stay positive.

Unemployment and Layoffs: The lack of jobs or the threat of losing one creates anxiety and discontent. I have a friend who worked at Anses for 10 years, and they fired her without any explanation. She was an exemplary employee, and they had her under a monotributo system, which means she didn’t get any severance pay. It's not true that they're only firing "ñoquis"—people who don’t show up to work. They’re also letting go of hardworking employees who always did their job. In my friend's case, I can assure you she was an outstanding worker. So, I understand why people are upset and scared.

This mix of factors makes people grumpy and uncertain about their future.

What gives?
So here is my objective take from someone that has been living, working and loving Argentina since 2002. I love this country. Although I'm American, I probably equally love this country as much as the USA. There are things I love about this country and there are things I hate about this country. Things here don't work as well as other developed countries. It's generally not a good idea to compare countries but it's human nature to do so.

The economy has been horrible here for decades. There are some small relative periods of reasonable calm between horrible economic diversity. The thing is that nothing works too well here. Things are inefficient, or laws don't make sense. Or just outright corruption.

One time in a therapy session with my therapist (also from Buenos Aires) I was telling her how I wasn't looking forward to moving back to Buenos Aires due to all the hardships, inefficiency, red tape and a million other reasons. I told her that even living here for 10 years before and having 2 out of my 3 kids born here that I could never got accustomed to all of these things. I joked that Porteños are all used to this as they grew up with it and it's normal to them.

That's when she stopped me right away and told me this is NOT normal to them or anyone. I had my aha moment. You see, I've owned several big companies and provided great healthcare coverage for them all. So almost all of my employees were seeing shrinks and therapists each week. That was unheard of at the time for an American. This was first in 2002.

I told my therapist, that everyone is used to all of this inefficiency and red tape from birth. But she said the reason why everyone needs to go to a therapist here is because of what I mentioned. That everything is chaotic, doesn't work, loud, illogical, red-tape plagued. And even if you grew up with it, you don't get accustomed to it. That environment is an endless loop that ultimately drives people crazy.

That was brilliant what she said and she was totally right. She said that's the reason why people are on edge, loud with one another and fighting. So @Blockchain it's not just you that notices it. My local friends will admit it's like that here for the reasons I mentioned.

So here is my objective take from someone that has been living, working and loving Argentina since 2002. I love this country. Although I'm American, I probably equally love this country as much as the USA. There are things I love about this country and there are things I hate about this country. Things here don't work as well as other developed countries. It's generally not a good idea to compare countries but it's human nature to do so.

The economy has been horrible here for decades. There are some small relative periods of reasonable calm between horrible economic diversity. The thing is that nothing works too well here. Things are inefficient, or laws don't make sense. Or just outright corruption.

One time in a therapy session with my therapist (also from Buenos Aires) I was telling her how I wasn't looking forward to moving back to Buenos Aires due to all the hardships, inefficiency, red tape and a million other reasons. I told her that even living here for 10 years before and having 2 out of my 3 kids born here that I could never got accustomed to all of these things. I joked that Porteños are all used to this as they grew up with it and it's normal to them.

That's when she stopped me right away and told me this is NOT normal to them or anyone. I had my aha moment. You see, I've owned several big companies and provided great healthcare coverage for them all. So almost all of my employees were seeing shrinks and therapists each week. That was unheard of at the time for an American. This was first in 2002.

I told my therapist, that everyone is used to all of this inefficiency and red tape from birth. But she said the reason why everyone needs to go to a therapist here is because of what I mentioned. That everything is chaotic, doesn't work, loud, illogical, red-tape plagued. And even if you grew up with it, you don't get accustomed to it. That environment is an endless loop that ultimately drives people crazy.

That was brilliant what she said and she was totally right. She said that's the reason why people are on edge, loud with one another and fighting. So @Blockchain it's not just you that notices it. My local friends will admit it's like that here for the reasons I mentioned.
Many people are frustrated financially about economy and also the back and forth how long everything takes here.

Back