Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Trip Reports "Barrio Chino", Belgrano

MaikelJRF

Throughout this open-air tour, you will find everything: bookstores, ice cream shops, clothing stores, fast food places or restaurants offering Chinese, Japanese or Korean cuisine, as well as local options, cafes and bars. The diversity of prices is wide.

Personally, I arrived at the place around noon and took the opportunity to have lunch and a snack. In the morning, there are fewer people, which allows you to walk around and get to know the area at your leisure. However, as lunchtime approaches, the place fills up with visitors.

Although it is not a very large area, the renovated Chinatown is definitely worth a visit. I rediscovered it after several years and was pleasantly surprised. During the week, the influx of people is less, but on weekends it is usually busier. Recently, several new shops, cafes, bars and other dining options have opened, revitalizing the area even more. Definitely worth exploring!

The best way to explore "Barrio Chino" is to pass under its majestic arch at the intersection of Juramento and Arribeños. From there, you'll find stores and supermarkets on both sides of the street offering everything from imported groceries to decorative objects and stores dedicated to manga and anime (Japanese comics and cartoons).

And if you happen to be in Buenos Aires during the Chinese New Year (which falls between the end of January and the beginning of February), consider taking a walk around the area. At that time, the neighborhood explodes with celebrations full of musical shows, activities and a fair full of stalls with food, crafts and souvenirs. Don't miss it!

1703245384228.png1703245440462.png

Se escuchan comentarios de que esta área puede ser insegura y que hay frecuentes robos, pero es posible que esto ocurra en días con menos afluencia de personas.
In my Chinatown experience, I visited the place on two occasions. The first was on a Wednesday afternoon, and since there were not many people, I decided to mark it as a place to visit during the weekend. The second visit was on a Saturday, and I noticed that there were many more people. In my personal case, I did not witness any theft or experience any unpleasant situations. Perhaps, as you mention, the incidence of theft could be related to the number of people present in the area.

The celebration is happening on Saturday, the 20th, with the main event from 5 to 6 PM. You can catch the traditional Dragon Dance in the streets. It's going down at the entrance to Gran Barrio Chino at 1701, Juramento Av., and it'll cover a circular route through Arribeños, Mendoza, Olazábal, and Vía Viva in the Belgrano neighborhood, known as the Ruta China. For more info, check out this website:

The celebration is happening on Saturday, the 20th, with the main event from 5 to 6 PM. You can catch the traditional Dragon Dance in the streets. It's going down at the entrance to Gran Barrio Chino at 1701, Juramento Av., and it'll cover a circular route through Arribeños, Mendoza, Olazábal, and Vía Viva in the Belgrano neighborhood, known as the Ruta China. For more info, check out this website:

Great! Glad I will be in town for the event. It has been fun watching this area grow over the past few years. I had no idea it was around so long.

Back