Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Be careful on the Subways and Bus lines - Gangs attacking to rob and steal items and phones

This is the sad reality under Milei. People are so desperate. This isn't an isolated situation. It's happening all the time now. Go on Bus line 166. Moron to Palermo before entering CABA at Liniers point. Constant robbings. I think the driver of the bus might even be in on it. Several friends tell me it happens all that time on that line.

Was this at night? I watched the video several times and I still can't tell if the guy who gets up near the front of the bus is in on it too. And the guy that grabbed the victim is not a young person. This thing is so frightening. Geez. They should release a longer version of the incident. I have to think that those people knew that the victim had something of value in that mochila. That's what makes me think that this is not a new form of crime on buses, but a planned one.

I just looked and that bus line goes from Plaza Once to just north of Nuñez.
It looks like many people are in on that. Looks like some organized gang. Many times since cash is so prevalent here, people know when you are exchanging cash or even some cuevas could have an employee that sends a text to thieves when you are leaving the cueva. I never exchange much at one time for this reason. With the economy so bad no one is to be trusted with large amounts of money.

I don't actually use public transportation much here at all. Almost never take public transport and haven't been on a subway in a while. I walk to get a lot of exercise and use taxis or Uber. I have seen so many people getting mugged in the Subway I just avoid it. Seeing this video makes me realize you don't really stand a chance if someone wants to rob you here.

It is one of the things I miss about the US. I never felt unsafe. Things have gone downhill but I still don't worry about this sort of thing each time I go back.

...It is one of the things I miss about the US. I never felt unsafe. Things have gone downhill but I still don't worry about this sort of thing each time I go back.
It obviously depends on which parts of the US. NYC for example is very scary now. It's one thing to get robbed and face the possibility of being injured if you resist, but this is what the New Yorkers are reading in the news nowadays about their subway system...

A man set a cup of liquid on fire and tossed it at a fellow subway rider.

A tourist from Brazil was stabbed in the neck at the Queens Plaza subway station around 10:30 a.m. on the second day of his visit in what police have called an unprovoked attack.

A 64-year-old man was kicked in the back by an unknown person and fell onto the subway tracks at Penn Station

A 53-year-old man was hit by an oncoming train and killed after being pushed by a mentally ill person as the train was entering the station in another unprovoked attack.

A 27-year-old man was approached by an unknown man who said something anti-LGBTQ and then slashed the victim’s hand with a box cutter. He was accused of attacking the girl moments after he allegedly punched another 43-year-old woman.

A lunatic reportedly armed with a box cutter is accused of slashing an 11-year-old girl in the head in a violent spree near a New York City subway station.

A man chase a woman down a New York City street after following her in and out of the subway and calling her "cute," authorities say. He followed her all the way to her office building and punched her there.

One person was killed and five were injured in a shooting at a Bronx subway station as a result of a gang-related argument.

A 45-year-old man was shot and killed aboard a subway train in Brooklyn after “stepping into an altercation that he had nothing to do with” and attempting to break it up, the victim’s wife told the New York Times.

A subway conductor needed more than 30 stitches after an attacker slashed him when he stuck his head out of the window at a stop in Brooklyn to ensure it was safe for the train to depart

A 36-year-old woman was slashed by a blade-wielding madman in a Lower East Side subway station.

A 29-year-old man was slashed while walking up the escalators inside a NYC subway station in an unprovoked attack.

A 22-year-old woman was slashed by a stranger on a Queens subway train, police said Thursday, the latest in a string of unprovoked attacks to rattle the city.

A 26-year-old man was stabbed in the buttocks in an unprovoked attack.

A 21-year-old woman was stabbed near turnstiles.

Man beat another man in the head with a metal pipe multiples times after an argument.

It obviously depends on which parts of the US. NYC for example is very scary now. It's one thing to get robbed and face the possibility of being injured if you resist, but this is what the New Yorkers are reading in the news nowadays about their subway system...

A tourist from Brazil was stabbed in the neck at the Queens Plaza subway station around 10:30 a.m. on the second day of his visit in what police have called an unprovoked attack.

A 64-year-old man was kicked in the back by an unknown person and fell onto the subway tracks at Penn Station

A 53-year-old man was hit by an oncoming train and killed after being pushed by a mentally ill person as the train was entering the station in another unprovoked attack.

A 27-year-old man was approached by an unknown man who said something anti-LGBTQ and then slashed the victim’s hand with a box cutter. He was accused of attacking the girl moments after he allegedly punched another 43-year-old woman.

A lunatic reportedly armed with a box cutter is accused of slashing an 11-year-old girl in the head in a violent spree near a New York City subway station.

A man chase a woman down a New York City street after following her in and out of the subway and calling her "cute," authorities say. He followed her all the way to her office building and punched her there.

One person was killed and five were injured in a shooting at a Bronx subway station as a result of a gang-related argument.

A 45-year-old man was shot and killed aboard a subway train in Brooklyn after “stepping into an altercation that he had nothing to do with” and attempting to break it up, the victim’s wife told the New York Times.

A subway conductor needed more than 30 stitches after an attacker slashed him when he stuck his head out of the window at a stop in Brooklyn to ensure it was safe for the train to depart

A 36-year-old woman was slashed by a blade-wielding madman in a Lower East Side subway station.

A 29-year-old man was slashed while walking up the escalators inside a NYC subway station in an unprovoked attack.

A 22-year-old woman was slashed by a stranger on a Queens subway train, police said Thursday, the latest in a string of unprovoked attacks to rattle the city.

Man beat another man in the head with a metal pipe multiples times after an argument.
Wow! This is crazy. Who are the perpetrators? Is this increase in crime connected with NYC being a sanctuary city now? My cousin there sent me photos and videos and there is a huge # of migrants there now.

@TonyTigre you nailed it! I'm from NYC and it keeps getting worse there. I wouldn't say it is the migrants that are doing it but I think people might be more on edge for a # of reasons. People are getting attacked or punched in the face just walking down the street. It even happened to a famous movie star the other day.

@lemonade - check out some of Nick Shirleyy's video on Tik Tok.

What time period is this over @TonyTigre? Is this recently? My friend who lives there in Brooklyn told me that after covid19 things got very bad there.

This is crazy @TonyTigre! I have yet to take a Subway here in BA yet. Too easy and quick with taxis and Uber.

But I saw this on Twitter today and the people look so dignified but of course this is social media so probably fake and staged.

My female friend in BA got her cellphone stolen on the subway today. She didn't even know until she got off the train. They are very good so be careful.

Back