Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Be careful with taxi cabs with a rigged meter that runs quicker than usual

Taking a taxi outside of AEP airport used to be a scam fest but now it is a good experience. Very organized and have not had problems with fast meters.
Yes they have drastically improved at AEP and I haven't had any problems there for a while now.

My wife was with me and I didn’t want to raise too much of a fuss. I figure with me taking cabs 3x/week for nearly 2 years, only getting one fast one ain’t bad.
I got a fast meter this weekend. The telltale signs were there. There was no license with the drivers photo on the back of the seat. The meter was running very fast. He claimed it was with the new higher rate but I just took another taxi ride at night to the same destination the day before in worst traffic. I refused to pay the higher rate and told him that I was turning him in. He quickly changed his tune and knew exactly how much the correct fare should be. They must activate the fast meter by some device under their seat.

Taking a taxi outside of AEP airport used to be a scam fest but now it is a good experience. Very organized and have not had problems with fast meters.
My wife and I came back from Neuquén last night, and it was cheaper+easier to take the taxi. They have a new system that requires you to scan a QR code to get a fixed fare, now. 10/10 for an improved user experience, and even though it was probably more expensive than just running the meter, Uber would've been 50% more expensive.

My wife and I came back from Neuquén last night, and it was cheaper+easier to take the taxi. They have a new system that requires you to scan a QR code to get a fixed fare, now. 10/10 for an improved user experience, and even though it was probably more expensive than just running the meter, Uber would've been 50% more expensive.
Yes, that system at AEP is really nice and hassle free. I didn't even know if Ubers could come to AEP now. Maybe if so you had to walk down a bit as I don't think they can come up near the taxi area. My friend told me at AEP it all used to be scammer taxis but the city changed the system and now it's great.

Vast majority of taxi drivers are friendly and honest in BA. In many years of taking taxis all the time I have only been faced with the fast meter a few times. One time 3 X the normal amount and another 2 X the normal amount. I just tell them I know the rate isn't fair and give them the approximate price and tell them if they want we can call the police and they can deal with it. They always give in and just take the fair amount.

Yes, that system at AEP is really nice and hassle free. I didn't even know if Ubers could come to AEP now. Maybe if so you had to walk down a bit as I don't think they can come up near the taxi area. My friend told me at AEP it all used to be scammer taxis but the city changed the system and now it's great.
There is an Uber area, but it's over by the international arrivals.

Back