Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Travel Best area to stay (for us)?

Tif85

Hello! We (parents and teenage daughter) are gearing up for a 5-night stay in Buenos Aires in early January, part of our broader journey around Santiago-Iguazu-BsAs-Patagonia-Santiago. As I delve into the planning process, I'm seeking some guidance on where to establish our base, and I would truly appreciate your insights.

Our ideal locale would be in an older area with a vibrant atmosphere and character. We're on the lookout for quality coffee and food within walking distance and convenient access to transportation options. We envision a neighborhood that is more low-rise and intriguing, akin to El Born in Barcelona or Roma Norte in Mexico City, as opposed to a high-rise and glossy environment.

On the other hand, quietness is crucial for us as we are not the best sleepers. Safety is also paramount since we enjoy exploring on foot but don't want to be overly concerned about safety. Access to green spaces would be the cherry on top.

Given these considerations, it seems like Recoleta, Palermo, or San Telmo might be fitting options. Can you provide some guidance on which of these neighborhoods would align best with our preferences?

I've noticed there are several Palermos—Soho, Hollywood, Botanico, Alto—and it's a bit confusing. I assume each has its own unique character and micro-climate. Could you shed some light on the distinctions between them and whether I should focus on one in particular?

Regarding Recoleta, a specific Airbnb in an art deco building on Juncal caught my eye. Would this be a good spot for us?

I'm eager to hear your thoughts and recommendations. Thank you in advance!

Hello! We (parents and teenage daughter) are gearing up for a 5-night stay in Buenos Aires in early January, part of our broader journey around Santiago-Iguazu-BsAs-Patagonia-Santiago. As I delve into the planning process, I'm seeking some guidance on where to establish our base, and I would truly appreciate your insights.

Our ideal locale would be in an older area with a vibrant atmosphere and character. We're on the lookout for quality coffee and food within walking distance and convenient access to transportation options. We envision a neighborhood that is more low-rise and intriguing, akin to El Born in Barcelona or Roma Norte in Mexico City, as opposed to a high-rise and glossy environment.

On the other hand, quietness is crucial for us as we are not the best sleepers. Safety is also paramount since we enjoy exploring on foot but don't want to be overly concerned about safety. Access to green spaces would be the cherry on top.

Given these considerations, it seems like Recoleta, Palermo, or San Telmo might be fitting options. Can you provide some guidance on which of these neighborhoods would align best with our preferences?

I've noticed there are several Palermos—Soho, Hollywood, Botanico, Alto—and it's a bit confusing. I assume each has its own unique character and micro-climate. Could you shed some light on the distinctions between them and whether I should focus on one in particular?

Regarding Recoleta, a specific Airbnb in an art deco building on Juncal caught my eye. Would this be a good spot for us?

Juncal and what cross street? That would make a big difference in terms of noise. However, in general, I would advise against Recoleta based on your preferences. Recoleta tends to be more refined and reserved, lacking the vibrant atmosphere you're seeking. It's quite different from the dynamic feel of Roma Norte.

Instead, I'd recommend focusing on either Palermo Soho or San Telmo, as both embody the historical charm, character, and diverse culinary options you're looking for. San Telmo, in particular, offers the added benefit of proximity to the ecological reserve.

Both neighborhoods have pockets of noise and tranquility, so sharing links to specific apartments you're considering would be helpful for tailored feedback on the surrounding streets. This way, you can gather insights about the neighborhood vibes and make a more informed decision.

I've lived in the past in Recoleta for 9 years and find the neighborhood quite interesting with many amenities. It's a very walkable neighborhood with many cafes and very good places to eat.

As suggested by Tessa, Juncal can be a very good location depending on the cross streets. The area around Vincente Lopez park is lovely, the street Montevideo, Alvear, Quintana, Pacheco de Melo, Rodriquez Pena, Posadas, Libertad and anytime those streets cross. The Ave Callao is beautiful, but can be noisy if you have an apartment facing the street, but apartments in the back are fine.

My next favorite place is Palermo Botanico/Chico. This is another lovely area of Buenos Aires with many large parks, cafes, and restaurants.

Also, the area of Retiro as it borders Recoleta is lovely and quite upscale. I find Recoleta a more central location for sightseeing the rest of the city.

Hope that this helps.

We absolutely loved San Telmo. Its historic charm and unique character make it stand out, and it's far from the high-rise, glossy areas. For food enthusiasts, it's a paradise with its fantastic restaurants and lively markets. Additionally, its proximity to the central area and transportation hubs is a significant plus. When we ventured into Palermo for exploration, we couldn't help but notice how much more polished and upscale it was compared to San Telmo. Palermo does boast green spaces, which was one of the reasons we decided to visit. On the other hand, Retiro exudes an air of sophistication and affluence.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for the helpful responses. There are a couple of places on Juncal that I have narrowed down so far -
One is at 2101 between Jose Evaristo and Junin.
The other is at 2373 between Pueyrredon and Larrea.
They are situated quite close, but I'd appreciate any insight into which of these might be the preferable situation.
I'll take a closer look at options in Palermo and San Telmo. I assume the key there will be to find somewhere peaceful but still in proximity to the activity.

Thanks for the helpful responses. There are a couple of places on Juncal that I have narrowed down so far -
One is at 2101 between Jose Evaristo and Junin.
The other is at 2373 between Pueyrredon and Larrea.
They are situated quite close, but I'd appreciate any insight into which of these might be the preferable situation.
I'll take a closer look at options in Palermo and San Telmo. I assume the key there will be to find somewhere peaceful but still in proximity to the activity.
The property between Junin and Uriburu is a very nice area and is walkable to many nice restaurants and shopping along Ave Santa Fe. The other location is still nice, but I prefer the first location.
I hope you have a nice stay!

Back