Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Black people in Argentina

These race baiting videos are speaking to emotions that many want to feel. Logically none of it makes sense, they're interacting w less than 1 percent of the population w less than a 1 percent sample size of how those they see act on a daily basis. One person for one minute with one negative interaction (or even multiple people multiple times) doesn't make a city nor a country a negative place. Too many are drawing too much conclusions on limited sample size or only seeing what they want to see.

One of the greatest dating hacks is having female friends. It makes talking to other women so much easier when you come pre-selected or having such social proof in addition to having friends they can introduce you to. It's amazing how many guys I know refuse to have platonic friends w the opposite sex and wonder why they have trouble in the dating market (not saying this towards anyone here but as a general observation)

I remember reading The Game and agree it's more about self-improvement and understanding social dynamics dressed in a way that a side effect is it makes you better skilled interacting with women. Kinda a constant theme with regards the hate is people only see what they want to see.
Absolutely true about the dating hacks of having female friends. We go out in groups back home and it works the other way too. I have gone out on a lot of dates that my male friends have set me up with their friends and it puts me at ease. There are a LOT of creeps out there. Just getting a reference helps a lot.

this is weird - do they do the same in Estonia? some places just don't have a Hollywood ratio of skin tones. for instance, do those same race-obsessers worry about the lack of "white" people (whatever that means...Iranian? Russian? South African? Estonian? Spanish? Anglo-Saxon? Icelandic?) in places in Africa that are almost completely black? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maroua

have they tried walking outside? most people don't think about "race" very much, outside of race-conflict areas (where the infighting usually is between similar-looking ethnic groups, anyway) - unless you watch the Corporate Press propaganda and are told that 'racism is everywhere'

like @Finance Prof said, the internet isn't reality. if you read Reddit you'll think Argies love communism and it's super unsafe in Buenos Aires. @BowTiedMara covered this Woke obsession with making everything racist:

In Argentina, history made the Black population much less visible compared to places like the U.S. or Brazil, where slavery had a much stronger impact and racism is still a very relevant issue today. In the U.S., slavery was a key part of the economy, and even though it was abolished, structural racism is still a super sensitive topic. That's something you don’t see as much here in Argentina.

I think that's why, in the U.S., when we talk about Black people, we automatically associate it with racism, but here it’s different. I have a lot of Argentine friends, and I was always curious about this. Here, people don’t really make a big deal about it, and they even use the word “negros” to refer to other types of people, and they say it without a problem! The first time I heard it, I was like, "Wait, what?" But it’s just part of how they see things here.

the author concludes the book with being happily married...but the douchers think it's a book about getting laid. the most important point is about how you can go to a new city, reinvent yourself to be a totally different person, and that identity would be just as genuine "you" as how you limit yourself in your normal life. Neil Strauss is a great writer. hilarious and interesting stories in that book! everyone should read.

good advice all-around here from @Uncle Wong @Digital Nomad @FuturoBA
Neil Strauss had a follow up called The Truth which was also a good read which if you like his work have probably read as well.
Absolutely true about the dating hacks of having female friends. We go out in groups back home and it works the other way too. I have gone out on a lot of dates that my male friends have set me up with their friends and it puts me at ease. There are a LOT of creeps out there. Just getting a reference helps a lot.
Heyyyy! I felt that haha. But meeting through friend groups is so much better than meeting a random stranger. It's one of many reasons I don't do dating apps anymore.

In Argentina, history made the Black population much less visible compared to places like the U.S. or Brazil, where slavery had a much stronger impact and racism is still a very relevant issue today. In the U.S., slavery was a key part of the economy, and even though it was abolished, structural racism is still a super sensitive topic. That's something you don’t see as much here in Argentina.

I think that's why, in the U.S., when we talk about Black people, we automatically associate it with racism, but here it’s different. I have a lot of Argentine friends, and I was always curious about this. Here, people don’t really make a big deal about it, and they even use the word “negros” to refer to other types of people, and they say it without a problem! The first time I heard it, I was like, "Wait, what?" But it’s just part of how they see things here.
I noticed this. The first time I heard that I was a little taken back by it. I met a group where one of the group members was darker skinned and they were calling him negro. It is common there. Very loving term to them.

Heyyyy! I felt that haha. But meeting through friend groups is so much better than meeting a random stranger. It's one of many reasons I don't do dating apps anymore.
Agree with this. It is always better to get introduced via people that already know them. Not always possible but lots of creepers out there. The older I get the harder I find dating to be.

Every time I have friends that visit me here in BA they always ask me why there aren't any black people here. So many different answers but some good info here on this Reddit.

I will be surprised if sentiment doesn't drastically change on immigration to Argentina by some groups. These people are protesting so they can sell stuff illegally on the street and don't have to pay taxes?

Neil Strauss had a follow up called The Truth which was also a good read which if you like his work have probably read as well.

I never ever used a dating app. I am glad I grew up in a generation without all of this technology. No one seems to know how to communicate anymore. It's pathetic.

Peruvians, Senegalese, and Bolivians are calling to return to the streets... I think they don’t understand the concept of mafia and illegality.

But I don't get it. They are protesting to illegally sell goods? Crazy. In Paris and other cities where I see these Africans selling counterfeit goods they always have a blanket and run when police come. In Argentina they are protesting to be able to sell them illegally? Are these foreigners even in Argentina legally? What is their legal status? This seems like a good time to check all of their passports and legal status. :ROFLMAO:

Why don't they just band together and rent a place to sell stuff? Or can't they just sell in the markets on the weekends in Palermo? When I was there I saw a lot of markets on the weekends to sell stuff. Or do those people register and pay taxes?

I doubt that most of them have the proper documentation to live here legally. They want to take over the streets of Once to sell illegal merchandise, which hurts the merchants who pay their taxes and rent a storefront. I'm not saying they shouldn't have a space, but the government should consider a way to incorporate them into a legal market system, where everything is organized and less corrupt.

I doubt that most of them have the proper documentation to live here legally. They want to take over the streets of Once to sell illegal merchandise, which hurts the merchants who pay their taxes and rent a storefront. I'm not saying they shouldn't have a space, but the government should consider a way to incorporate them into a legal market system, where everything is organized and less corrupt.
I do not believe that the street vendors pay taxes on their items that set up in the parks or on the street. I could be wrong but it is mostly all cash. Some do take debit cards too but I doubt they are declaring all of this. I don't go to Once at all to shop. It will be almost impossible to get everyone to pay taxes and become legitimate.

I noticed this. The first time I heard that I was a little taken back by it. I met a group where one of the group members was darker skinned and they were calling him negro. It is common there. Very loving term to them.

Agree with this. It is always better to get introduced via people that already know them. Not always possible but lots of creepers out there. The older I get the harder I find dating to be.
Most would agree, but still most are meeting via online. Didn't realize how bad the changing landscape was as shown here

Back