Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Blue dollar hits a new historical record! 1,500 to $1 USD

It's all complicated @FuturoBA. Even here most locals don't understand everything the government and Central Bank are doing. Here is an article today. The government keeps saying, "nothing has changed" but then things change. I don't know how the markets will take this on Monday. This article is saying the central bank will buy dollars at 900 and sells at 1400. That sounds like it's too good to be true. And anything that sounds too good to be true usually is.

I think this is a situation where the more the government tries to do, the more trust it loses. The more trust it loses, the more volatile the exchange rate becomes. The more volatile the currency is the more people will look for stability, and in this case towards the dollar. Hence pushing the value of the dollar up and consequently the value of the peso down.

And you're right @Betsy Ross nobody really knows what's going on. It reality, it may not be any policies that's affecting the exchange rate, but the uncertainty and anxiety itself making the market act irrational or not.

I think this is a situation where the more the government tries to do, the more trust it loses. The more trust it loses, the more volatile the exchange rate becomes. The more volatile the currency is the more people will look for stability, and in this case towards the dollar. Hence pushing the value of the dollar up and consequently the value of the peso down.

And you're right @Betsy Ross nobody really knows what's going on. It reality, it may not be any policies that's affecting the exchange rate, but the uncertainty and anxiety itself making the market act irrational or not.
Correct. Others made good points about when the government says one thing they mean another. The government in Argentina never admits they are scared until the day they have to admit they are scared. Also, it can be confusing because big announcements like this are done when the President is not even in Argentina and Caputo is releasing the news on X which can be confusing. You can see many economists are confused. In one of the articles someone posted Milei does speak about a possible 3,000 peso exchange rate if it wasn't for Caputo. All of these things can be confusing for citizens.

A lot of noise and people are not sophisticated. They don't know what any of this means. If economists are confused you can bet locals don't have a chance of understanding. All they hear is the peso would be at 3,000 to $1 US and that is the message they hear.

We'll see how this plays out but I will hold on to dollars as always and buy pesos as needed. Contrary to President Milei and Caputo stating that the Argentine peso is going to be the demanded currency. No thanks.

Now maybe some of you will see how crazy this administration is. Instead of just accepting the peso is over valued and people don't trust the government's plan and it is not working they do crazy thing like this. No one know consequence for this manipulation.

Milei cause big recession, job losses, worse situation with peso, no dollarization, no getting rid of CEPO, record high poverty level, still elevated inflation level. He never in Argentina and always traveling outside of Argentina.

Now some of you people see what I talk about.

It seems like many economists are against this idea. Sure it might work but there might be some unintended consequences.

Now maybe some of you will see how crazy this administration is. Instead of just accepting the peso is over valued and people don't trust the government's plan and it is not working they do crazy thing like this. No one know consequence for this manipulation.

Milei cause big recession, job losses, worse situation with peso, no dollarization, no getting rid of CEPO, record high poverty level, still elevated inflation level. He never in Argentina and always traveling outside of Argentina.

Now some of you people see what I talk about
To be fair we had to suffer all of that for years before Milei came along to sort out the mess. Give him a chance.

To be fair we had to suffer all of that for years before Milei came along to sort out the mess. Give him a chance.
I don't think most people are blaming Milei for all the problems Argentina is having. Of course not all the blame on him. Just not a good idea to fly around the world accepting awards and then claiming he is probably going to win the Nobel prize. Makes him look silly and stupid when the exchange rate is blowing up and he has to manipulate markets.

Looks like Caputo's plan worked at least for now. Blue dollar dropped down to 1,400 today. It dropped further this morning but seems like it's coming back up.

Take the opportunity to exchange some dollars; it looks like the happy days of the dollar at $1500 are coming to an end.

It took a big dive this morning. Government hasn't done this sort of thing before. I wouldn't count what happens in only one day. You have to see what happens over the long term. I still would only recommend buying pesos as needed to pay monthly bills. I'm not buying more pesos than I need. I bought another month worth of pesos on Friday for August bills but will just wait and see how this plays out.

It took a big dive this morning. Government hasn't done this sort of thing before. I wouldn't count what happens in only one day. You have to see what happens over the long term. I still would only recommend buying pesos as needed to pay monthly bills. I'm not buying more pesos than I need. I bought another month worth of pesos on Friday for August bills but will just wait and see how this plays out.
It's like investing in blue chip vs penny stocks. Hold onto the dollar because in the long run it will win out.

It is all very complicated. I read several articles and all sounds complex. It sounds like the government isn't the only one that can do this. I feel sorry with the locals that have to deal with all of this. I wonder why the government didn't do this from day 1? My feeling is that it solves one thing but breaks something else.

It is all very complicated. I read several articles and all sounds complex. It sounds like the government isn't the only one that can do this. I feel sorry with the locals that have to deal with all of this. I wonder why the government didn't do this from day 1? My feeling is that it solves one thing but breaks something else.

Correct. Might be a solution for the gap but country risk has now gone up. Real life game of Whack a Mole.

It's like investing in blue chip vs penny stocks. Hold onto the dollar because in the long run it will win out.
This seems to be the case. It still sounds like no one knows long-term what will happen to the peso. All the articles I am reading on it sound like it might help blue dollar but cause another problem. Time will tell.

I would compare this to a company doing a stock buyback program using profits / cash flow generated from operations. That would be different from doing a stock buyback by issuing more debt which is more like what the previous administration did.

One thing to keep in mind about a stock buyback program is that timing and frequency of the purchases are not set in stone. Whether the program is effective in the long term depends on the fundamentals of the company. In this case, if Argentina is not issuing new debts to support this program, but only using a portion of their surpluses then I think it's a wise use of those funds.

Keep in mind that their actions have the effect of helping to keep inflation under control, which is important for the people most hurt by the recession and government spending cuts. So in effect, they are using the savings from reduced subsidies to help the poor. This is similar to how the local governments have a big increase in tax revenue collection from higher utility bills, and then part of those funds are then used to help those locals who need the help the most. So in effect, part of the subsidies still exist except it's moved from the federal level to the local level, and the subsidies are more targeted to those who really need it.

Limited and strategic intervention using budget surpluses should not be confused with previous administrations that kept borrowing / printing more money to basically bribe the voters in an unsustainable way.

As signs of Argentina start growing again this quarter, and especially next quarter, the level of intervention would be greatly reduced and perhaps no longer even necessary.

The truth is that nothing the administration have done so is new. It might be new to Argentina, but not new in this world. The consequences of their policies are also not new, therefore their mitigation plans are also not new. Of course the same plans don't always work due to various reasons, but there are also existing plans to deal with different outcomes. However, I think there are still plenty of reasons to be hopeful that this administration is on the right track.

I would compare this to a company doing a stock buyback program using profits / cash flow generated from operations. That would be different from doing a stock buyback by issuing more debt which is more like what the previous administration did.

One thing to keep in mind about a stock buyback program is that timing and frequency of the purchases are not set in stone. Whether the program is effective in the long term depends on the fundamentals of the company. In this case, if Argentina is not issuing new debts to support this program, but only using a portion of their surpluses then I think it's a wise use of those funds.

Keep in mind that their actions have the effect of helping to keep inflation under control, which is important for the people most hurt by the recession and government spending cuts. So in effect, they are using the savings from reduced subsidies to help the poor. This is similar to how the local governments have a big increase in tax revenue collection from higher utility bills, and then part of those funds are then used to help those locals who need the help the most. So in effect, part of the subsidies still exist except it's moved from the federal level to the local level, and the subsidies are more targeted to those who really need it.

Limited and strategic intervention using budget surpluses should not be confused with previous administrations that kept borrowing / printing more money to basically bribe the voters in an unsustainable way.

As signs of Argentina start growing again this quarter, and especially next quarter, the level of intervention would be greatly reduced and perhaps no longer even necessary.

The truth is that nothing the administration have done so is new. It might be new to Argentina, but not new in this world. The consequences of their policies are also not new, therefore their mitigation plans are also not new. Of course the same plans don't always work due to various reasons, but there are also existing plans to deal with different outcomes. However, I think there are still plenty of reasons to be hopeful that this administration is on the right track.
That is a good explanation. Still, many economists are saying this isn't a good idea so the question then is do you trust this administration or those economists? Some of these are the same economists that said CFK and her administration and Alberto too were doing the wrong things.

Probably is moot whether it's a good idea or not. It seems like the only thing they can do. This government really doesn't have as many options as they think. They say they aren't scared but if not they are ignorant.

Milei and his team lack a political party, allies, deputies, and actual power. Despite his grandiose rhetoric, he can't achieve much. Those holding votes in Congress aren't interested in his agenda, so none of it will come to pass. It's straightforward. Although he has managed to issue a few executive orders, they fall far short of his platform's scope.

@TonyTigre thanks for this Cliff Notes version. But isn't it still very important to build up Central Bank reserves? All these exchange rates seem convoluted and nuts. I hope this works out.

Despite the government's austerity measures, Argentina still needs a lot of money to function and to manage its pre-existing public debt of about 450 Billion dollars.

Financially, the government relies on an inherited financing model that includes retentions and capital controls like the PAIS tax. This allows the government to collect revenue instantly during transactions, rather than relying solely on direct taxes as in many other countries. While removing these controls might boost exports and financial inflows, transitioning to a new model would create a significant operating deficit during the changeover. Any government would need substantial financial reserves or credit lines to cover its obligations during this period.

Politically, a floating exchange rate would have been more painful and unpopular compared to the controlled devaluation already experienced. This is especially true early in an administration when market confidence is untested. The government still spends heavily on energy subsidies and social welfare, balancing austerity with populism to prevent social unrest while managing its massive public debt without defaulting and causing panic.

The latest financial moves appear to be an attempt to manage these challenges and ensure an orderly transition. However, economic distortions are likely to continue. While adjusting the CCL and MEP rates might help, as long as controls like the CEPO and PAIS tax restrict access to cheaper dollars, the informal "blue" dollar and the higher prices it brings are unlikely to disappear. This creates problems for those earning in pesos but facing costs tied to higher dollar rates unless they can both pay and be paid in the same dollar, which remains difficult to achieve.

Back