Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Trip Reports Buenos Aires/Argentina trip report

rose

Hello everyone!
We are new to this forum but we want to share our travel report to one of the most incredible countries in the world!

Certainly,
  • Buenos Aires earns its nickname as the "Paris of South America" due to its stunning beauty.
  • Uber was readily available and affordable in Buenos Aires but less so in other cities like Mendoza and San Juan.
  • Currency exchange posed a challenge, with only two major banks willing to exchange dollars for pesos.
  • Forum advice on ATMs was accurate; they had withdrawal limits, hefty fees, and were often out of cash.
  • Argentine dining habits surprised; many restaurants opened late, with some clubs starting operations after midnight.
  • The food was excellent, though the experience at a parilla (grill) revealed that higher-end establishments required reservations.
  • Credit cards were widely accepted, but passport numbers were occasionally required.
  • Airbnb accommodations were excellent and reasonably priced in both Buenos Aires and Mendoza.
  • Carrying toilet paper is recommended due to some facilities lacking it.
  • English was not commonly spoken; efforts to communicate in Spanish were appreciated.
  • Bus travel between cities was affordable and comfortable, using CATA and Flechabus. Ticket acquisition was straightforward, with accessible route/schedule information.
  • The people encountered were warm, generous, and welcoming, providing a delightful experience for two travelers aged 64 and 65.

We fell in love with Agentina and we will definitely come back!

We hope our experience will serve as a reference for those who are still thinking about it.

Greetings!

I really appreciate you sharing your travel experience, and I really hope I can enjoy the city as much as you did. I am planning to travel to BA in six months so your trip report helps me a lot.

Thanks again!

@Tessa i'll be here for 5 more months or so, getting temporary/permanent residency, so holler if you need specific info as you get closer to planning! if you've been to a couple other countries, you'll be fine in BsAs.

Back