Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Buquebus Inquiry and Recommendations for Montevideo and Buenos Aires

mom

Hello,

We are planning to take the Buquebus from Montevideo to Buenos Aires. Can anyone provide information on the distinctions between the different fare categories (turista, business, and primera)?

Additionally, we would welcome suggestions for tours or notable places to visit during a one-day stay in Montevideo and a two-day stay in Buenos Aires.

Thank you for your assistance!

I recently visited the area for business purposes. The business class was located upstairs, and the Primera class was at the bow of the ship, also upstairs. On the Colonia run, the setup was on one floor with separate areas. I didn't experience Primera, but I observed Turista class downstairs, and the seating wasn't as comfortable as in business class.

Upon boarding, you'll notice people lining up early, rushing to secure a window seat. However, the view might not be spectacular as the river has a brown color. After clearing Uruguayan immigration and customs, you proceed to the waiting area. Be cautious about the snack bar on the boat; prices are quite high. The immigration line at Buenos Aires is chaotic, even worse than the airport. Note that taxis outside may overcharge, so if you have Wi-Fi, consider using Uber or Cabify apps.

During my visit, I took a half-day tour of Montevideo with Carlos, whose WhatsApp number is +55 51 9136-1287; he retained his Brazilian phone number. In Buenos Aires, you might consider a Hop-On tour. Keep in mind that food is comparatively more expensive in Uruguay. Even with the VAT tax exemption for credit card payments, the prices seemed comparable to North American standards. Enjoy your trip!

If you could share your interests, @mom, I could offer more tailored suggestions for things to do.

I often recommend a stroll along Av de Mayo for its historical significance and impressive architecture. Plaza de Mayo is both important and beautiful. As you venture further, you'll reach San Telmo, a district brimming with character from a bygone era, making it a highly worthwhile area to explore.

For a striking contrast, consider visiting Puerto Madero—a modern area featuring new, sleek, and tall glass buildings, accompanied by a pleasant wide promenade for walking.

Recoleta Cemetery is a memorable destination for many, and you can choose to explore it with or without a guide.

I'm glad someone else provided information about the Buquebus ticket categories.

I recently visited the area for business purposes. The business class was located upstairs, and the Primera class was at the bow of the ship, also upstairs. On the Colonia run, the setup was on one floor with separate areas. I didn't experience Primera, but I observed Turista class downstairs, and the seating wasn't as comfortable as in business class.

Upon boarding, you'll notice people lining up early, rushing to secure a window seat. However, the view might not be spectacular as the river has a brown color. After clearing Uruguayan immigration and customs, you proceed to the waiting area. Be cautious about the snack bar on the boat; prices are quite high. The immigration line at Buenos Aires is chaotic, even worse than the airport. Note that taxis outside may overcharge, so if you have Wi-Fi, consider using Uber or Cabify apps.

During my visit, I took a half-day tour of Montevideo with Carlos, whose WhatsApp number is +55 51 9136-1287; he retained his Brazilian phone number. In Buenos Aires, you might consider a Hop-On tour. Keep in mind that food is comparatively more expensive in Uruguay. Even with the VAT tax exemption for credit card payments, the prices seemed comparable to North American standards. Enjoy your trip!
Certainly! Appreciate the insights! Is there a noticeable advantage in upgrading from Business to Primera Class on Buquebus? How much time in advance is recommended for check-in? Also, could you share the destinations Carlos covered during your Montevideo tour? Considering reaching out to him for our short visit to explore the must-see attractions. Thanks once again for your assistance!

If you could share your interests, @mom, I could offer more tailored suggestions for things to do.

I often recommend a stroll along Av de Mayo for its historical significance and impressive architecture. Plaza de Mayo is both important and beautiful. As you venture further, you'll reach San Telmo, a district brimming with character from a bygone era, making it a highly worthwhile area to explore.

For a striking contrast, consider visiting Puerto Madero—a modern area featuring new, sleek, and tall glass buildings, accompanied by a pleasant wide promenade for walking.

Recoleta Cemetery is a memorable destination for many, and you can choose to explore it with or without a guide.

I'm glad someone else provided information about the Buquebus ticket categories.
Thank you for your suggestions! The cemetery seems fascinating. Did you attend a tango show in Buenos Aires? If yes, where was it?

Exploring Palacio Barolo in Buenos Aires, situated at the opposite end of the park from the National Congress, offers a unique experience. If you find it intriguing, consider visiting Palacio Salvo in Montevideo, often considered its sister building. It's important to note that both structures have stairs, so if mobility is a concern, it's worth reconsidering.

Palacio Barolo is designed around Dante's Divine Comedy, featuring themed levels representing hell, purgatory, and the ascent to heaven. The building provides a captivating setting with the best sunset view of Buenos Aires. However, for those with mobility challenges, the elevator stops at the 14th floor. Nonetheless, there's a fantastic bar on the 16th floor called Salon 1933, accessible with only two flights of stairs, offering incredible sunset cocktails with a panoramic view.

Regarding Buquebus, I haven't opted for anything beyond 'tourista class' in recent years. Downstairs seating is ample, and the view during the trip is limited as it's mainly brown water. Paying extra for priority boarding and a 'view' doesn't seem worth the additional cost.

In Buenos Aires, cash transactions are common, while in Montevideo, cards are generally more widely accepted. If you need cash in Montevideo, Banco Republica is recommended for better rates and no additional fees.

Thank you for your suggestions! The cemetery seems fascinating. Did you attend a tango show in Buenos Aires? If yes, where was it?
Hi @mom! in this thread they recommend tango shows with all the info, I hope you find it useful:

You can search the threads in this forum, there are many reviews about tango show.

On Buquebus, the main difference between the classes is seat comfort, boarding, and disembarkation.

Tourist class is fine - seat comfort is fine, ( better than coach on any airline) but if you want to spread out or do some work, I would recommend business class. Seats are certainly more comfortable. The atmosphere is a little quieter.

First class is a step up again but only on comfort. They do have an exclusive restaurant but it's not free - but a pay-as-you-go operation. You used to get free wifi in first class as well.

Occasionally when you browse the Buquebus website they do have specials and when they are not busy you may score a decent price ( ie the same as Business)

You should look to check in about an hour before departure. there is a duty free shop in the port as well as onboard - if shopping is your thing, take another 30 minutes.

if you are in Business Class or above, there is a very small lounge in MVD on the same level as the embarkation gates - but don't get too excited - you only get free coffee, everything else is for purchase.

On Buquebus, the main difference between the classes is seat comfort, boarding, and disembarkation.

Tourist class is fine - seat comfort is fine, ( better than coach on any airline) but if you want to spread out or do some work, I would recommend business class. Seats are certainly more comfortable. The atmosphere is a little quieter.

First class is a step up again but only on comfort. They do have an exclusive restaurant but it's not free - but a pay-as-you-go operation. You used to get free wifi in first class as well.

Occasionally when you browse the Buquebus website they do have specials and when they are not busy you may score a decent price ( ie the same as Business)

You should look to check in about an hour before departure. there is a duty free shop in the port as well as onboard - if shopping is your thing, take another 30 minutes.

if you are in Business Class or above, there is a very small lounge in MVD on the same level as the embarkation gates - but don't get too excited - you only get free coffee, everything else is for purchase.
I always just pay the fee to upgrade to Business Class. I always never upgrade to First unless Biz isn't available but I find Business class more than comfortable and roomier than the Tourist class. I do it for what @GlasgowJohn mentioned about it being quieter. Typically I was always working on the ferry back and forth to Montevideo and sometimes depending on time of the year there are always lots of kids screaming around.

I also traveled in Business with my kids but my kids were always very well behaved and quiet. I used to own a house in Punta del Este so I'd go back and forth to Montevideo every month.

What is the price difference between the classes? I know it will vary but is it a huge difference? What website is it? Are there multiple sites or just the main site?

What is the price difference between the classes? I know it will vary but is it a huge difference? What website is it? Are there multiple sites or just the main site?
You can see the actual price differences on their website which is the best place to buy them.

Back