Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Travel Travel options from Montevideo to Buenos Aires?

deporting, like hunting them down, or rejecting them at the border when they try to come back in? because this thread and the other one https://www.expatsba.com/threads/an...border-runs-in-argentina.537/page-4#post-7067 have literally showed people having this exact experience...did you not read those?? @Vero
You won't have any issues for your first visit. I saw your other post. You are way overthinking this issue. You have only been in Argentina a few months. I have friends from all over the world visit me and it would be crazy to think you will have issues getting rejected after visiting Argentina for your first time and it only being a few months. Listen to some of us that have lived here for years.

The cases that I read were people that have over stayed by years. You won't have issues on your first visit to Argentina. If you worry too much about everything in Argentina you will drive yourself crazy.

You won't have any issues
comforting, but being illegally in a country (with a lot to lose if i have issues) doesn't interest me if my only recourse is to tell the cops that "ExpatsBA" people told me i'm good! :)
You are way overthinking this issue.
like i said previously, i have a lot to lose. i would risk it if i was alone and just on normal vacation. i will not risk my dog being seized or any remote chance of harm. and i don't want a 'flag' in the system of doing illegal border crossings. @Bajo_cero2 has been very clear that border crossings are illegal, and he provided the law that shows this. i would choose passively overstaying rather than actively breaking the law.
it would be crazy to think you will have issues getting rejected after visiting Argentina for your first time and it only being a few months
but this is the premise; it has happened, and i tagged everyone with stories, and no one knows what will happen this year. like someone else said, if i look like a Gringo and some pissed-off Peronist immigrations person wants to follow the Letter of the Law, i'm screwed and would get deported. this isn't theoretical, it's just a matter of how many days you're overstayed, and how subjective the supervisor's decision is.

Listen to some of us that have lived here for years.
the frustrating part is you aren't reading what i wrote. the whole point of my posts is to bring to attention that the rules are changing so trusting authority about a new topic, with evidence that the oldtimers are going off of false information, is stupid. i said: "the risk appears much more real, than in the past, so it's important not to just dismiss these worries since 'in the past Westerners were allowed to do whatever they wanted'"

and "i really don't think it's helpful to assume (and reassure new Expats here) that everything in the past applies to 2024 and the new gov't"

and "the premise of these threads is that people are giving real-world experiences about being turned back. what if i go to the ferry, go to Uruguay, then try to come back in and the border guards say "Migraciones won't le us re-stamp you, because you should have extended your visa at their office in BsAs"

and "There is a lot of theoretical posts on here saying 'forget going to colonial, forget renewing, just overstay as long as you want and nothing bad will ever happen to you' (i believe you guys here are giving bad advice to do border runs)"

this thread and the other one are about not trusting that the old ways still work. similarly, there is info on blogs like NikiPostsTravelStuff where she claims "Argentina is a very unique country when it comes to immigration, in that it is not actually illegal to overstay your originally allotted 90 days upon arrival. That said, you do need to pay an overstay fee before leaving the country" - should i trust her, or an actual lawyer who does immigration law in Buenos Aires, @Bajo_cero2 ?

i'm not arguing that it might work, i'm just warning that things have changed in the past years, and there is a likelihood that border runs are now NOT allowed, and thus shouldn't be recommended. Lawyer Rubilar said i Jan2022 on the old forum "The visa runs are illegals since 2010 and everytime you do it you put yourself in danger of being rejected at the border."

overstaying the 90-day visa is supposedly "not illegal" which i think is funny. so why do we need to pay a fine? if i get arrested for a crime at day 91, are they going to say "it's okay if you violated the 90 days, it's not a crime!" lol

someone on Reddit also claims "Additionally it's not illegal to overstay your visa, it's just 'irregular'."

just adding info here, not saying it isn't illegal or it is. to me, if there's a fine and my visa is 90 days, staying 91 is inherently illegal, whether it's prosecutable or not, enforced or not, and if it has any consequences. i overstayed in Thailand by a few days and just paid like $5 per day fine, no long-term issues.

Foreigners cannot bribe in Argentina, Chile or Uruguay. Thats a fact and anyone who tries it will be in a world of trouble. Anyone suggesting it is a scumbag looking to entrap people and sow chaos

Further north up to Mexico etc is a different story but thats beyond the scope of this post

Foreigners cannot bribe in Argentina, Chile or Uruguay. Thats a fact and anyone who tries it will be in a world of trouble. Anyone suggesting it is a scumbag looking to entrap people and sow chaos

Further north up to Mexico etc is a different story but thats beyond the scope of this post
overstaying the 90-day visa is supposedly "not illegal" which i think is funny. so why do we need to pay a fine? if i get arrested for a crime at day 91, are they going to say "it's okay if you violated the 90 days, it's not a crime!" lol

someone on Reddit also claims "Additionally it's not illegal to overstay your visa, it's just 'irregular'."

just adding info here, not saying it isn't illegal or it is. to me, if there's a fine and my visa is 90 days, staying 91 is inherently illegal, whether it's prosecutable or not, enforced or not, and if it has any consequences. i overstayed in Thailand by a few days and just paid like $5 per day fine, no long-term issues.
Here very good solution for you. You don't break laws and you don't have the problems. It illegal to overstay your visa. Why you think there is a fine??? You try argue that one breaking law is better than other. But both wrong. Maybe easy solution you don't break laws in Argentina and you do not have problems!

Back