Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Can I easily obtain Brazilian Real (BRL) at Ezeiza International Airport (EZE)?

TTzac

I'm planning a trip to Argentina and Brazil, starting in Buenos Aires. After that, I'll be heading to Iguazu Falls and crossing into Brazil. Typically, I use the Wise card to withdraw foreign currency from ATMs. Is it possible to get Brazilian Real (BRL) at an ATM in Ezeiza International Airport (EZE) or any bank in Buenos Aires? I'd like to have BRL before crossing the border into Brazil.

Welcome,
I apologize as the concept of "easy" varies from person to person. Everyone has different preferences regarding what they consider fun, efficient, or convenient.
In my travel experiences, including visits to Argentina and Brazil, I've generally been able to withdraw cash from local ATMs. The key factors are whether the first attempt is successful and the associated fees. My banks don't reimburse fees, and one adds its own. I've encountered ATMs dispensing multiple currencies mainly in Europe.
I can also purchase foreign currency through one of my banks. Additionally, I've used Western Union during my travels, as well as my credit card for cash advances from ATMs. However, cash advances accrue interest from day one, so caution is advised.
I experiment with various methods to understand the processes and associated charges. During my travels, I've used foreign currency exchanges at airports, including IGU, to obtain Brazilian Real and convert excess foreign currency. ATMs are available both at the park and in town, though their functionality and availability can vary.
Regarding Ezeiza International Airport (EZE) or Jorge Newbery Airfield (AEP) in Buenos Aires, I don't recall seeing universal ATMs. While foreign currency exchange offices are present, it's worth noting that prices at airports can be higher. There are also street vendors known as "Gambios" in Buenos Aires, offering cash exchange, but I haven't utilized them for Argentine Pesos or any other currency.
If you plan to stay overnight on the Brazilian side, consider inquiring about the closest ATMs for your convenience.
Best of luck with your travels.

While you're in Buenos Aires, you can visit a currency exchange and inquire about purchasing Brazilian Reals. Some exchange places may offer this service, but it's unlikely to be available from ATMs in Argentina.

The exchange shop within Ezeiza International Airport (EZE) might also sell Brazilian Reals, as they often receive them from Brazilian visitors.

Once you cross into Brazil, you should be able to obtain Reals from cash machines there.

If heading directly to Foz do Iguacu, then promptly locate a Brazilian ATM. Google Maps can guide you to their locations in Foz do Iguacu.

No ATM in Argentina will give you BRL

A handful in the centre of Bs As may give you USD.

BRL may be available at exchange houses and maybe available at the neabks in airports , but d not depend on it.

My strategy would be to go to an ATM in Fiz as soon as you arrive.

Back