Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Caputo confirms Argentina has moved some of its gold overseas

import export

Yep. I read the news earlier today. They will probably move it to London which they have done before under Macri.

Did Argentina have any of its Gold reserves in the USA? This article from a few months ago said it did.

Yep. I read the news earlier today. They will probably move it to London which they have done before under Macri.

I'm not sure that the UK or Switzerland would cooperate in a seizure of Argentine properties or gold. There does seem to be some desperation which might be why even with intervention, the blue dollar rate still hasn't moved too much.

But if they have gold in the US can't Burford Capital block to seize it? I'd think the USA would be the last place Argentina wants to move it's gold.

This is bad news. Argentina's gold is best in it's own vaults. UK has been known to seize gold. Look at Venezuela.

I wouldn't look at this as a positive no matter how much they want to spin this as positive. Especially if it took a request by Unions to get it announced. I don't know enough about if this gold can be seized by these vulture funds but Argentina probably needs to be careful with that with the courts.

Argentina has to be careful as it's lost cases in Europe as well. The London Court of Appeals has also ruled that Argentina must pay 1.3 Billion Euros.

Some lawyers are saying that plaintiffs in these other cases can't legally seize the gold outside of Argentina because the lawsuits are against the Republic of Argentina but the Central Bank of Argentina owns the gold.

I'm not sure I would be willing to bet that the gold can't be seized. Hedge funds so far have been successful. They most likely will file requests for the gold. It would be a disaster if Argentina moved the gold outside of Argentina and then it ended up getting seized for these judgements it owes.

Argentina has to be careful as it's lost cases in Europe as well. The London Court of Appeals has also ruled that Argentina must pay 1.3 Billion Euros.

Some lawyers are saying that plaintiffs in these other cases can't legally seize the gold outside of Argentina because the lawsuits are against the Republic of Argentina but the Central Bank of Argentina owns the gold.

I'm not sure I would be willing to bet that the gold can't be seized. Hedge funds so far have been successful. They most likely will file requests for the gold. It would be a disaster if Argentina moved the gold outside of Argentina and then it ended up getting seized for these judgements it owes.
Yikes! I read that case where Argentina got an old yacht seized a few years ago. I'm not sure of the distinction of Argentina vs. Central Bank. It all seems to Argentina to me. That would be quite a blunder if Argentina's gold gets seized. I'd think they would want to keep all this gold inside of Argentina.

It it got seized, won't Caputo and Milei look like idiots?

I wouldn't look at this as a positive no matter how much they want to spin this as positive. Especially if it took a request by Unions to get it announced. I don't know enough about if this gold can be seized by these vulture funds but Argentina probably needs to be careful with that with the courts.
It sounds like you are correct to worry about the gold getting seized. This is a good article that talks about it. I wonder why the government is not more transparent about this? Seems like they have to respond within 30 days.

It sounds like you are correct to worry about the gold getting seized. This is a good article that talks about it. I wonder why the government is not more transparent about this? Seems like they have to respond within 30 days.

I saw that article too. I don't think the risk/reward is worth it. Caputo's explanation doesn't make sense about earning interest income. It sounds like Argentina is planning something else with this that they don't want to disclose. If this gold ends up getting seized to pay Buford, they are going to look like idiots and Caputo will probably have to resign.

I saw that article too. I don't think the risk/reward is worth it. Caputo's explanation doesn't make sense about earning interest income. It sounds like Argentina is planning something else with this that they don't want to disclose. If this gold ends up getting seized to pay Buford, they are going to look like idiots and Caputo will probably have to resign.
Argentina probably can't be transparent about where it is exactly. All of the people that are owed funds can tie up this in courts. It will be interesting where the Gold is and ultimately what happens to it.

Argentina probably can't be transparent about where it is exactly. All of the people that are owed funds can tie up this in courts. It will be interesting where the Gold is and ultimately what happens to it.
Regardless of what they lined it, there will be arguments from the Left that talk about lack of transparency. I just hope this does now blow up in their face. No room for mistakes of this magnitude right now.

Regardless of what they lined it, there will be arguments from the Left that talk about lack of transparency. I just hope this does now blow up in their face. No room for mistakes of this magnitude right now.
Caputo is a smart businessman. My husband worked with Mr. Caputo while we lived in Buenos Aires. I am sure that risk/reward were thought of ahead of time.

Caputo is a smart businessman. My husband worked with Mr. Caputo while we lived in Buenos Aires. I am sure that risk/reward were thought of ahead of time.
Regardless of how intelligent he might be, I'm sure the company that won the $16 billion dollar lawsuit is following along very closely!

Back