Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Cat food in BA

Jake L

I'm about to adopt a cat and want to provide high-quality food. Like with human food, the biggest brands aren't always the best. Can you recommend any healthy, high-quality cat food options? Any other nutrition tips? How about supplementing regular cat food with raw meat, fish, etc.?
I don't know much about brands here in BA yet, so I'm reaching out to cat lovers. Can you help me with this?

Hi! I've been feeding my cat this food for 4 years on my vet's recommendation and have never had any issues. It's not the most expensive, but it's not the cheapest either. It's a comprehensive brand and quite affordable, with different varieties available. I recommend it.

1723565638508.jpeg

Hi! I have two cats and have been feeding them "Royal Canin" for a long time, but I have to say it's not the cheapest brand. When I adopted them, the vet recommended that brand, but also suggested a good, more affordable option that @malvi mentioned. I hope this helps! Oh, and to complement their diet, I also give them some pouches of food with fish, meat, salmon, etc., but only once or twice a week.

1723567284368.png1723567308690.png

Hi! I have two cats and have been feeding them "Royal Canin" for a long time, but I have to say it's not the cheapest brand. When I adopted them, the vet recommended that brand, but also suggested a good, more affordable option that @malvi mentioned. I hope this helps! Oh, and to complement their diet, I also give them some pouches of food with fish, meat, salmon, etc., but only once or twice a week.

View attachment 6866View attachment 6867
This is what my doorwoman in my building uses. There is a big pet store in Recoleta at the corner of French and Pueyrredon. It's been there forever. That's where she goes for cat food.

I’ve been feeding my 10-year-old cat "Pro Plan Optiage Adult 7+ for Senior Cats" and "homemade treats" for wet food, and he's doing very well. It wasn’t easy; he has a sensitive stomach, so I tried other brands like Sieger and Excellent, but they didn’t work. Then I tried "Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach," which was great until it was discontinued. I then tried "Royal Canin for Sensitive Stomach/Purple label," but it caused excessive water intake due to its high salt content. After researching, I switched to "Pro Plan Optiage," and his water intake returned to normal. It may not be the best for everyone, but it works for my cat. I don't think you can use me as a reference since my cat has a sensitive stomach, but at least you know my experience with these brands. Good luck!

I have three cats and have tried all sorts of brands. From my experience, the best ones are Nutrique and Proplan. The others tend to cause vomiting and make them reluctant to eat. My vet doesn't recommend raw food, so I'm planning to transition to cooked, natural meals.

Back