Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Christmas in Buenos Aires

Everything definitely slows down during that time. For those of us who live here, it's great. A lot of people head to the coast during those dates, so there aren’t as many crowds, but everything remains open.

Christmas here feels a bit underwhelming. Aside from a tree or two in the upscale malls, there aren’t many decorations or festivities to enjoy. If it weren't for the Colombians and Venezuelans putting up Christmas lights in their apartment patios, it might be easy to miss that it's the holiday season. However, I do appreciate the efforts of those communities to bring some festive spirit to the area!

I understand that it can be different for some people. Personally, I really enjoy the holidays here. It might depend on the area or neighborhood you’re in. Last year, I was invited to spend Christmas at the home of a local friend who lives in Haedo, in the suburbs, and I can assure you that the vibe and the people are completely different. There were families gathered, music, a festive atmosphere, and lots of food. At least that was my experience, and I truly enjoyed it.

Back