Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Controlling a tablet in USA from Argentina?

HellsBellsNH

Does anyone do this? For banking purposes etc ? Ive read a lot lately about people being locked out of their accounts for accessing from an Argentina IP for over a year. And even VPNs don't save them. Is it hard to set up for someone with no computer skills ? If you are controlling a tablet in USA from Argentina does it have a USA IP address?

I haven't done it, but looked up some different options that may apply to your situation. Are you using a commercial VPN such as nordVPN or something similar or a more secure such as from my understanding, a personal VPN. From what I gather sounds like you're likely using a commercial and again my understanding is some of those spoofed IPs may be flagged by certain institutions as known commercial VPN addresses.

This reddit wiki will give you a good start on some of the basics and someone else will probably know more or correct me if I'm wrong.

I haven't done it, but looked up some different options that may apply to your situation. Are you using a commercial VPN such as nordVPN or something similar or a more secure such as from my understanding, a personal VPN. From what I gather sounds like you're likely using a commercial and again my understanding is some of those spoofed IPs may be flagged by certain institutions as known commercial VPN addresses.

This reddit wiki will give you a good start on some of the basics and someone else will probably know more or correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah I'm using Nord VPN which someone just told me isn't as secure as I thought it was which made me paranoid

I have heard about some people living in Argentina for long periods of time without accessing from the USA and asked to verify their USA address. I'm not sure if using the VPN was the issue but sounds like some are cracking down on this. I haven't had any issues at all using VPN. I am using Hotspot VPN and have a Charles Schwab account.

Do you use a VPN @HellsBellsNH? I have a few acquaintances that use dedicated proxies. Cost is around $24/month.

A friend uses Squid Proxies.

What is your specific situation @HellsBellsNH? If you use a VPN set to the USA you shouldn't have problems. I have been living in Argentina for 15 years and almost exclusively use VPN and not had issues. I only go home to the States once per year. I have my address set to my folk's house in New York.

A friend who has her IRA with Merill Lynch and living here in Buenos Aires has been hassled recently. She is using her sister's USA address for her banking records but apparently accessing her account online without VPN something about constantly viewing her account logging in from Argentina has triggered some warning.

She maintains a Florida driver's license. They insisted on seeing a utility bill in her name. She did not have any utility bills in her name but her sister had to end up changing an electricity bill to her name as they kept insisting. I don't know why a bank would care where she is living but she got around that only by sending in a utility bill with her name on it. I am not sure if that is or is not an option for you.

A friend who has her IRA with Merill Lynch and living here in Buenos Aires has been hassled recently. She is using her sister's USA address for her banking records but apparently accessing her account online without VPN something about constantly viewing her account logging in from Argentina has triggered some warning.

She maintains a Florida driver's license. They insisted on seeing a utility bill in her name. She did not have any utility bills in her name but her sister had to end up changing an electricity bill to her name as they kept insisting. I don't know why a bank would care where she is living but she got around that only by sending in a utility bill with her name on it. I am not sure if that is or is not an option for you.
Merill Lynch can be problematic. I met someone that had to transfer their IRA to another company. I believe some have limitations based on where you live. You should be able to transfer your IRA to another company. I know Schwab allows someone living in Argentina as their country of residence. I'm not sure if this is applicable to other countries. Best to check. Fidelity used to allow it but I heard stopped new applications.

Yeah I'm using Nord VPN which someone just told me isn't as secure as I thought it was which made me paranoid
You shouldn't have issues with Nord VPN. Just don't forget to use it when logging in. The people I have heard that had problems were forgetting to log into VPN sometimes.

The issue boils down to Mutual Fund restrictions by these financial institutions.

Earlier this year Charles Schwab and Company, Fidelity Investment and T.Rowe Price announced that they would no longer allow Americans living overseas, even their own employees, to buy US based mutual funds.

The easiest thing is to use a USA mailing address and also have a utility bill under your name if possible. Previously they allowed you to send in two forms of proof including rental agreement, driver's license with that address, mortgage statement but some people are getting rejected with mortgage statements or rental agreements and they are wanting to see an actual utility bill. This is to cover that financial institution which may have severe penalties.

You shouldn't have issues with Nord VPN. Just don't forget to use it when logging in. The people I have heard that had problems were forgetting to log into VPN sometimes.

The issue boils down to Mutual Fund restrictions by these financial institutions.

Earlier this year Charles Schwab and Company, Fidelity Investment and T.Rowe Price announced that they would no longer allow Americans living overseas, even their own employees, to buy US based mutual funds.

The easiest thing is to use a USA mailing address and also have a utility bill under your name if possible. Previously they allowed you to send in two forms of proof including rental agreement, driver's license with that address, mortgage statement but some people are getting rejected with mortgage statements or rental agreements and they are wanting to see an actual utility bill. This is to cover that financial institution which may have severe penalties.

But if you don't own mutual funds then you should be in the clear? I think each company is different. A friend told me she could keep her mutual fund investments that she already owned but couldn't purchase certain new mutual funds. I agree the simplest solution if possible is to use a USA address but I realize that is not always possible for people that don't have family in the US. And if they are requiring utility bills in the future, this may not be an option for many people either.

Do you use a VPN @HellsBellsNH? I have a few acquaintances that use dedicated proxies. Cost is around $24/month.

A friend uses Squid Proxies.

What is your specific situation @HellsBellsNH? If you use a VPN set to the USA you shouldn't have problems. I have been living in Argentina for 15 years and almost exclusively use VPN and not had issues. I only go home to the States once per year. I have my address set to my folk's house in New York.

Thanks for that I use Nord VPN which is about $10 a month just that lately Ive heard some things that it isn't as secure as I thought I want to look into some better options. So you are saying you can set your VPN to a specific place like your parents house? That's what I wamt

Thanks for that I use Nord VPN which is about $10 a month just that lately Ive heard some things that it isn't as secure as I thought I want to look into some better options. So you are saying you can set your VPN to a specific place like your parents house? That's what I wamt
You can just set the VPN to the nearest major city where your home address is. I don't think there is a way with Nord to select any city at all. But I have never had any problems just always using the same city. Most VPN providers allow you to change the location but I always use the same city so the same IP address is always used. Never had any problems logging into any of my banks or financial institutions.

Some people are always changing their IP addresses. A friend was using a Mexico IP address to access some website and forgot to set it back before accessing her bank and had problems. If you are using the same VPN city all the time that will probably eliminate problems. I'm not an expert on VPN but I travel internationally all the time and have not had issues with my banks or financial institutions.

I did not know about that mutual fund issue. Besides that issue, why would a bank care where you live? I am planning on moving abroad next year. I haven't decided where. Maybe Buenos Aires or possibly somewhere in Thailand but I planned on using my parents address in the USA and just using VPN. Has anyone had issues besides IRA accounts with their banks?

I did not know about that mutual fund issue. Besides that issue, why would a bank care where you live? I am planning on moving abroad next year. I haven't decided where. Maybe Buenos Aires or possibly somewhere in Thailand but I planned on using my parents address in the USA and just using VPN. Has anyone had issues besides IRA accounts with their banks?
I think it's a matter not only of mutual funds but some investment advisors may have restrictions on where their clients can have residence. My investment advisor told me he needs to be licensed in each state where he has clients.

I am going through the permanent residency process in Mexico now. Many banks outside of the USA don't want any American clients as there are so many reporting requirements with the IRS it's not worth it to them. Strange times we live in.

Some of the reasons banks might initially be alarmed if you're signing into your account from a foreign IP is that a majority of bank fraud is committed outside of the USA by fraudsters.

I think it's a matter not only of mutual funds but some investment advisors may have restrictions on where their clients can have residence. My investment advisor told me he needs to be licensed in each state where he has clients.

I am going through the permanent residency process in Mexico now. Many banks outside of the USA don't want any American clients as there are so many reporting requirements with the IRS it's not worth it to them. Strange times we live in.
Got it. I would think with 2 Factor Authentification most banks can avoid worrying about fraud making people have that turned on but I know many banks don't require 2FA when logging in.

I talked to a banker friend and he said that most banks don't care where you access from. He said that the international thing living outside is more about investment banking as there are rules but for a normal bank they shouldn't care where you live.

Back