Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Banking Credit Card real-world rate "MEP" transaction repo (Dec2023)

And that's the problem. Most people your age and younger around the world have very little to look forward to. Real estate is a mess and out of their league, with sky high rents and mortgage down payments.

That's a wise decision. No one really knows what life is going to be like in ten years. Early retirement is still possible for those who spent the past couple of decades building a solid nest egg.

That short shows what happens when people are allowed to do as they please. Businesses have made it way too easy for people to work remote and now the genie is out of the bottle. I don't see how it can be forced it back in.
And that's the problem. Most people your age and younger around the world have very little to look forward to. Real estate is a mess and out of their league, with sky high rents and mortgage down payments.

That's a wise decision. No one really knows what life is going to be like in ten years. Early retirement is still possible for those who spent the past couple of decades building a solid nest egg.

That short shows what happens when people are allowed to do as they please. Businesses have made it way too easy for people to work remote and now the genie is out of the bottle. I don't see how it can be forced it back in.
You nailed it! A lot of my friends feel like we will never be able to afford anything decent in nice cities. Property prices got so crazy. My grandparents and parents didn't have to deal with these kinds of prices. Sure they didn't make as much but everything is so much now. Most of my adult friends are in their 30s and some are living at home with their parents. I would never do that. I am trying to get help from my parents to buy something in Buenos Aires. I thought I could just work remote and save up. But that doesn't look like that will happen now.

Youth of today are too entitled and spoiled. Everyone seems like they want to get rich quick. Remote jobs, bitcoin, stocks, day trading, being an influencer, selling stuff on Tik Tok. People have always wanted to get rich quick but social media has made people sick. There is really no substitute for being smart and investing and most importantly working hard. And working hard for many decades.

I look at this entire movement of working remote and many of these people demanding to keep it up and I laugh. My niece was working remote and her employer recently made them come back and she quit a very high paying job that was very good. I told her that she might not be able to find a substitute job she liked as much. She found out the hard way that she made a mistake.

She found another job but she doesn't like it and it is a fraction of what she is making. I agree with you @Sunny about the genie being out of the bottle but I believe during a really tough economy all of these people are going to realize how good they had it just having a job.

Too many want a short cut to success. It is pathetic but many of my friends are just depending on inheritances from their parents or waiting for them to kick the bucket. And it is a shame as their parents work extremely hard even in their old age. Many have stores or restaurants and they work late hours.

Very true. People shouldn't be too hard on adults living with their parents. I am in this situation. I could afford to live in my own place but my mom has a large house and she offered for me to live with her to save up money. I help her pay utility bills and offered to pay her rent but she refused. My plan is to just make as much as I can over the next few years and save enough to buy an apartment somewhere in Latin America along with enough money to live a modest lifestyle.

I have bad luck with guys so I am not sure marriage is in the cards for me. Sometimes life feels unfair as I see other friends happy but I have had bad luck with men.

I am trying to get help from my parents to buy something in Buenos Aires. I thought I could just work remote and save up. But that doesn't look like that will happen now.

Don't give up. If your parents can help you buy something here, even if you have to go back to the States and work there for a couple of years, you could rent your apartment here during that time. Only rent to locals, though, as they will respect your place a lot more than foreigners. People here treat apartments as if they own them; if something needs fixing, they would usually take care of it. Landlords are not as responsive as they can be in the States.

Very true. People shouldn't be too hard on adults living with their parents. I am in this situation. I could afford to live in my own place but my mom has a large house and she offered for me to live with her to save up money. I help her pay utility bills and offered to pay her rent but she refused. My plan is to just make as much as I can over the next few years and save enough to buy an apartment somewhere in Latin America along with enough money to live a modest lifestyle.

That's a good plan! It's wonderful that your mom can help you like that. You'll be fine. :)

I have bad luck with guys so I am not sure marriage is in the cards for me. Sometimes life feels unfair as I see other friends happy but I have had bad luck with men.

Well, you never know. Regarding what you perceive, remember that what people share usually is not the whole story... I don't believe complete happiness exists, I believe in happy moments and when it comes to marriage, you have to look at it as a partnership. Lust is ephemeral, what keeps us together is love and care, but what really makes a marriage work is friendship and trust. Over the years there will be fights and pain, but also those happy moments that make it all worth it.

Don't give up. If your parents can help you buy something here, even if you have to go back to the States and work there for a couple of years, you could rent your apartment here during that time. Only rent to locals, though, as they will respect your place a lot more than foreigners. People here treat apartments as if they own them; if something needs fixing, they would usually take care of it. Landlords are not as responsive as they can be in the States.
Thanks! That is my plan and they have agreed to help me possibly buy something here. My Novia's family told me the exact opposite of what you mentioned. They said not to rent it to a local as it is very difficult to get them out if they stop paying. They said only if you know the person and get a guarantee. They said a foreigner would be better if I can find one.

I would want to use it when I come down so I don't think long term rent is possible but my girlfriend said maybe I can rent it on Airbnb but it seems like there are so many apartments on the market and it seems like tourism has slowed down. But she said maybe one of her friends would rent it. Lots of things here are so different than back home. Since it is my parents money I want to be more careful.

That's a good plan! It's wonderful that your mom can help you like that. You'll be fine. :)

Well, you never know. Regarding what you perceive, remember that what people share usually is not the whole story... I don't believe complete happiness exists, I believe in happy moments and when it comes to marriage, you have to look at it as a partnership. Lust is ephemeral, what keeps us together is love and care, but what really makes a marriage work is friendship and trust. Over the years there will be fights and pain, but also those happy moments that make it all worth it.
Aww thanks a lot. I know what you mean about not sharing the entire story. I have friends that look picture perfect on IG but their life is a mess too. I am content with just working now and being alone I feel lucky I have the best mom in the world.

Aww thanks a lot. I know what you mean about not sharing the entire story. I have friends that look picture perfect on IG but their life is a mess too. I am content with just working now and being alone I feel lucky I have the best mom in the world.
Never trust what you see on social media. Not saying it's all a lie but people show their best side or what they want people to see. For many years I was a happily married male with 2 beautiful sons but I was secretly gay. I did not come out until my later years. You be you.

Thanks! That is my plan and they have agreed to help me possibly buy something here. My Novia's family told me the exact opposite of what you mentioned. They said not to rent it to a local as it is very difficult to get them out if they stop paying. They said only if you know the person and get a guarantee. They said a foreigner would be better if I can find one.

There have been cases of foreigners (digital nomads, mostly) that left without paying. Yes, it is difficult to evict people here. The guarantee is a must, but renting only to someone you know is something people say but not that easy to do. How many people do you know that need to rent at the price you want to charge and in the area where your apartment is? And "people you know" can lose their jobs too.

I would want to use it when I come down so I don't think long term rent is possible but my girlfriend said maybe I can rent it on Airbnb but it seems like there are so many apartments on the market and it seems like tourism has slowed down.

Tourism has, indeed, slowed down, but the big problem with Airbnb is that guests treat apartments as if they were hotel rooms, sometimes even worse. Furniture will be mistreated, stained, scratched, etc. Also neighbors complain because of noise and having different people constantly coming in and out of the buildings. Many buildings are banning Airbnbs now.

There have been cases of foreigners (digital nomads, mostly) that left without paying. Yes, it is difficult to evict people here. The guarantee is a must, but renting only to someone you know is something people say but not that easy to do. How many people do you know that need to rent at the price you want to charge and in the area where your apartment is? And "people you know" can lose their jobs too.

Tourism has, indeed, slowed down, but the big problem with Airbnb is that guests treat apartments as if they were hotel rooms, sometimes even worse. Furniture will be mistreated, stained, scratched, etc. Also neighbors complain because of noise and having different people constantly coming in and out of the buildings. Many buildings are banning Airbnbs now.
All my friends renting out their apartments long term to foreigners make them pay most of it up front.

I also notice less tourists but I don't know the numbers. I have a few friends that are renting out their apartments on Airbnb and they haven't had problems. They tell me that Airbnb has good insurance coverage if there is damaged. Probably key to avoid issues is explain no parties/noise, etc. It is true that some buildings are banning Airbnb but also many buildings are going up now specifically for short-term rentals.
All my friends renting out their apartments long term to foreigners make them pay most of it up front.
Yes because of the laws here most foreigners that are renting long term leases mostly pay 6-12 months up front. But this typically works well for both sides. I have been coming to BA a long time and haven't read about issues.

@Betsy Ross nails it as usual; the TikTok generation has taken the sound-byte style of information from the past 20 years of mainstream media, and distilled it to the most pure, mindless, sit-back-and-watch style of entertainment possible. when i was in highschool, i was told i had options of military, academia/teaching, trade schools, owning a business, etc. - but these would all take many years, and retirement was something that should happen when you're a literal millionaire with huge assets and strong networks to support you

but the idea of "retiring" has always been strange, because people who hustle and are skilled don't just want to suddenly stop producing/creating; so many people end up retiring (which means getting benefits, paid for life, discounts for age/status, etc.) but then running a small business or doing consulting with a lessened schedule. the retirement thing always seemed strange to me (and uninteresting).

now, i read The Five-Hour Workweek and found it inspiring...but some people i have met seem to think that working 5 hours a week is the goal, so that you can watch TikTok and sit in bed and "do nothing" (Office Space quote) - but that wasn't the point of the book! The point of the Workweek was to automate and decentralize your businesses/processes, so you can work on learning more languages, getting more technical skills, travel more, network more, etc.

but so many people born (we'll say, approximately) 1995 onward seem to just want to become successful quickly, without actually taking the years to develop their punctuality, interpersonal skills, software abilities, etc. that a guy like Tim Ferris has done. the 5-hour workweek goal isn't to sit in Sandals Jamaica...it's to be able to eliminate redundancy and self-assess your own micromanaging (that often leads to companies being bottlenecked at the owner/CEO spot). i downloaded TikTok for 2 hours a couple years after it became popular, and i found it completely vapid, unrealistic, and deleted it. it's just people staging things to get clicks/money; not content that is actually valuable. the most successful people i know are complete psychopaths with their work passions. my friend my same age (late 30s) owns multiple condos and nice cars, but he also works for his multiple businesses the entire day. yes, he takes vacations with his talented and attractive partner, and they are both wholly charismatic, charming, and make you feel valuable and included (this is why they succeed), but they are both constantly calling clients, revising processes, sitting in meetings with their companies, etc. - it's hard to get him free for a simple coffee or lunch because he's pulled by so many things!

and look at the owner of this forum and @BuySellBA - always flying, meeting with people, taking consulting Zoom calls, reading/researching, studying the news, responding on this forum to questions that he no doubt answered 15 years ago...how many hours a day do we think he spends working on his professional life? i would guess 12 hours, 7 days a week, of actual focused time (not time sitting in an office). the TikTok crowd wants to be told that everything will be fine; it won't be! they want to be told that you can have overnight success like 0.0001% of people/businesses do; they won't have that lottery luck. in the end, saving money by living within one's means, and hustling to create wealth are things that happen when we develop ourselves psychologically, physically, and professionally...and it takes years of learning from previous failures. but right now, the TikTik model rewards 10-second videos that make things seem easy, produced by people who aren't actually wealthy or skilled past their glamorous facade, and it leads to this echo-chamber of thinking being an 'Influencer' is worthwhile or lucrative. is there really any way to explain it other than to work your ass off for years, and continually find ways to self-reflect and improve, getting people smarter than you to assess your possible shortcomings?

@Betsy Ross nails it as usual; the TikTok generation has taken the sound-byte style of information from the past 20 years of mainstream media, and distilled it to the most pure, mindless, sit-back-and-watch style of entertainment possible. when i was in highschool, i was told i had options of military, academia/teaching, trade schools, owning a business, etc. - but these would all take many years, and retirement was something that should happen when you're a literal millionaire with huge assets and strong networks to support you

but the idea of "retiring" has always been strange, because people who hustle and are skilled don't just want to suddenly stop producing/creating; so many people end up retiring (which means getting benefits, paid for life, discounts for age/status, etc.) but then running a small business or doing consulting with a lessened schedule. the retirement thing always seemed strange to me (and uninteresting).

now, i read The Five-Hour Workweek and found it inspiring...but some people i have met seem to think that working 5 hours a week is the goal, so that you can watch TikTok and sit in bed and "do nothing" (Office Space quote) - but that wasn't the point of the book! The point of the Workweek was to automate and decentralize your businesses/processes, so you can work on learning more languages, getting more technical skills, travel more, network more, etc.

but so many people born (we'll say, approximately) 1995 onward seem to just want to become successful quickly, without actually taking the years to develop their punctuality, interpersonal skills, software abilities, etc. that a guy like Tim Ferris has done. the 5-hour workweek goal isn't to sit in Sandals Jamaica...it's to be able to eliminate redundancy and self-assess your own micromanaging (that often leads to companies being bottlenecked at the owner/CEO spot). i downloaded TikTok for 2 hours a couple years after it became popular, and i found it completely vapid, unrealistic, and deleted it. it's just people staging things to get clicks/money; not content that is actually valuable. the most successful people i know are complete psychopaths with their work passions. my friend my same age (late 30s) owns multiple condos and nice cars, but he also works for his multiple businesses the entire day. yes, he takes vacations with his talented and attractive partner, and they are both wholly charismatic, charming, and make you feel valuable and included (this is why they succeed), but they are both constantly calling clients, revising processes, sitting in meetings with their companies, etc. - it's hard to get him free for a simple coffee or lunch because he's pulled by so many things!

and look at the owner of this forum and @BuySellBA - always flying, meeting with people, taking consulting Zoom calls, reading/researching, studying the news, responding on this forum to questions that he no doubt answered 15 years ago...how many hours a day do we think he spends working on his professional life? i would guess 12 hours, 7 days a week, of actual focused time (not time sitting in an office). the TikTok crowd wants to be told that everything will be fine; it won't be! they want to be told that you can have overnight success like 0.0001% of people/businesses do; they won't have that lottery luck. in the end, saving money by living within one's means, and hustling to create wealth are things that happen when we develop ourselves psychologically, physically, and professionally...and it takes years of learning from previous failures. but right now, the TikTik model rewards 10-second videos that make things seem easy, produced by people who aren't actually wealthy or skilled past their glamorous facade, and it leads to this echo-chamber of thinking being an 'Influencer' is worthwhile or lucrative. is there really any way to explain it other than to work your ass off for years, and continually find ways to self-reflect and improve, getting people smarter than you to assess your possible shortcomings?
VERY good post. I agree with all that you say. Young people today want it all quick. That is not realistic.

Thank you @StatusNomadicus. Literally everyone I know has the same opinion on this generation. Of course this generation will tell you that "things are different now" and how tough they have it. I would argue that they have it even easier than we did. Technology is better and more information but most want a shortcut in life and they will find out most times there is no short cut without doing the work or learning a trade.

Great post as usual @StatusNomadicus. You are spot on target with what you mentioned about the options we were given growing up. I've never read those 5 hour Workweek books or any like them because I've learned from starting many businesses that it takes an insane amount of hours to be successful. The most successful people I know also work a lot of hours. I look at today's generation and I really worry for them. I don't think many are prepared for what difficulties and challenges (and cost of living) are ahead.

Or maybe I am too old and the world is changing. The thing is I can't tell because lots of these influencers claiming to make all of this money I can't tell if it is true or not. Much of it seems like mindless drivel to me. I don't have time for Tik Tok as I'm working too much. I do hope to slow down but somehow it never ends up that way.

It's a new world we are living in that is for sure. Seems like everyone wants a short cut to making money. Girls just want to be influencers or work on their Only Fans pages. Sad. Very sad.

if Argentina keeps getting more expensive
good thing it isn't getting more expensive in Dollars; you must be mistaken. where did you hear that from? i've been researching this country for 6 months now, on the ground, running numbers, operating www.x.com/ArgentinaMEP and i have continuously reported how things are. where are you living? what are you claiming is getting more expensive?

I am too old
i couldn't hang with you in your lifestyle, and i'm, what, 2 decades younger? keep at it! and of course, we all want you to take care of your health as well, so we can have you around for as long as possible. hopefully you're getting good sleep these days. i noticed that Argentines have access to Tryptophan supplments, but Melatonin has been quite elusive in this country (opposite of USA).

Sad. Very sad.
yeah but also that's just the 5% loud minority; there are millions of people in the USA alone (take the Midwest, for example) who hustle and don't post every second on their life on social media. these people may seem invisible online, but i find that the world of TikTok and Facebook has very little in common with how people actually live. online, you'll lose hope because the Commie hordes scream about racism and universal basic income (socialism welfare like Natives have in the USA, which kills them) ... but in real life, if we put our phones down, most people are hard-working and peaceful, wanting to take care of their families and have stability.

pro vs. against Milei
it was one of the most orderly, safe, patriotic gatherings i've ever seen. Argentines (especially in Cordoba, the industrial base province?) might even be more patriotic than estadounidenses based on what i saw. since yesterday was a sort of Fourth of July equivalent, i wasn't sure what to expect. i had some Locro stew (i'd pass on this next time and only eat it once a year, but it was okay) with empanadas and red wine afterward to try to take part. but the Plaza San Martin celebration of Argentina's first government of 25May1810 and the "birth of modern Argentina" is sort of like the USA's 1776 i suppose: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_of_the_May_Revolution

...and entire families were there with children and pet dogs, standing for a couple hours to cheer for Milei. chants were about liberty, patriotism, etc. - the national anthem and other songs were sung by everyone around me. i was dropped-off by my Uber on the west side of the main street, and a small group of union 'workers' (socialists/Commies) were burning something, but i didn't want to get close, since the police looked like they were ready to have things thrown at them. once i got into the plaza, it was orderly, peaceful, and just basically an energetic love for Argentina.

Back