Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Banking Credit Card real-world rate "MEP" transaction repo (Dec2023)

AmericanExpress update from this week: i have never used an AmEx in Argentina because i heard it was terrible here (but maybe posts the correct MEP amount after a long delay?), but a family member visiting me used an AmEx credit card with no foreign transaction fees (Gold Delta American Express) and the rate it gave was 923 when it should be around 1212! (basically everything is 25% more expensive)

anyone know the current situation on AmEx credit cards in July 2024...anything changed? still advisable to just use Visa/MasterCard?

IIRC, @StatusNomadicus it charges initially at the official rate but then 7-10 days later you should see the MEP difference credit. I haven't used an AMEX lately but a few months ago that's what it did for me. Got about the same rate as MC/Visa.

IIRC, @StatusNomadicus it charges initially at the official rate but then 7-10 days later you should see the MEP difference credit. I haven't used an AMEX lately but a few months ago that's what it did for me. Got about the same rate as MC/Visa.
I asked my friend and she said she has been using her MC, Visa and American Express. She said the AMEX takes up to 2 weeks to credit back. But she does get it back but not sure what the exchange rate is. She said very close to the MEP rate like the other cards.

AmericanExpress update from this week: i have never used an AmEx in Argentina because i heard it was terrible here (but maybe posts the correct MEP amount after a long delay?), but a family member visiting me used an AmEx credit card with no foreign transaction fees (Gold Delta American Express) and the rate it gave was 923 when it should be around 1212! (basically everything is 25% more expensive)

anyone know the current situation on AmEx credit cards in July 2024...anything changed? still advisable to just use Visa/MasterCard?

@StatusNomadicus did you ever get the refund from AMEX? I charged a charge about 2 weeks ago and still didn't get the refund back for MEP rate. Does anyone know how long this takes to get the difference back?

@StatusNomadicus did you ever get the refund from AMEX? I charged a charge about 2 weeks ago and still didn't get the refund back for MEP rate. Does anyone know how long this takes to get the difference back?
It can take up to 1 month. A friend was here last month and she used her AMEX card. It never used to take this long but she said some of her charges took close to 1 month to get the refund back but she did get it on all her charges. Probably easier just to use a no fee Visa or Mastercard so you get it back ASAP.

Something changed because I was getting back AMEX refunds fairly quickly but a few months ago it started taking longer. I'm not sure what changed. When I stopped getting it back asap I switched to my Visa card. It took about 4 weeks to see the AMEX refunds but they did come through.

Something changed because I was getting back AMEX refunds fairly quickly but a few months ago it started taking longer. I'm not sure what changed. When I stopped getting it back asap I switched to my Visa card. It took about 4 weeks to see the AMEX refunds but they did come through.
I use my AMEX once in a while and it usually takes about 10 days to get the rebate. Sometimes as much as 15 days but none of mine have taken longer than that. But they have always come through ok.

I use my AMEX once in a while and it usually takes about 10 days to get the rebate. Sometimes as much as 15 days but none of mine have taken longer than that. But they have always come through ok.
Yeah I used my AMEX card a few times and I was worried at first that the MEP rate wouldn't come through. Some of my charges took almost 2 weeks to come through.

Back