Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Trip Reports Crime, Safety and Buenos Aires - Trip Report

johnm

We recently returned from Buenos Aires, and contrary to some pessimistic views expressed on this forum, our experience was overwhelmingly positive. Despite the occasional complaints, we found Buenos Aires to be truly amazing.

Our stay in Palermo was the base, but we explored various parts of the city day and night without encountering anything that made us feel unsafe or uneasy—except for the prevalent issue of dog poop, which could rival Paris.

I want to reassure anyone contemplating a trip to Buenos Aires, or those who may have booked but feel a bit apprehensive—don't be! Embrace and enjoy all that Buenos Aires has to offer. We stayed in four different Airbnb accommodations, providing us with ample opportunities to connect with friendly locals who were more than willing to show us around. We indulged in incredible cuisine, including plenty of mouthwatering meats, explored beautiful streets and buildings, sipped on delicious cocktails, and, by the end of our journey, felt genuinely sad to leave. The only exception was Colonia in Uruguay; in "winter," it was somewhat dull.

In essence, I encourage everyone to travel to this beautiful country. I'd even consider living there!

We eagerly look forward to returning.

We recently returned from Buenos Aires, and contrary to some pessimistic views expressed on this forum, our experience was overwhelmingly positive. Despite the occasional complaints, we found Buenos Aires to be truly amazing.

Our stay in Palermo was the base, but we explored various parts of the city day and night without encountering anything that made us feel unsafe or uneasy—except for the prevalent issue of dog poop, which could rival Paris.

I want to reassure anyone contemplating a trip to Buenos Aires, or those who may have booked but feel a bit apprehensive—don't be! Embrace and enjoy all that Buenos Aires has to offer. We stayed in four different Airbnb accommodations, providing us with ample opportunities to connect with friendly locals who were more than willing to show us around. We indulged in incredible cuisine, including plenty of mouthwatering meats, explored beautiful streets and buildings, sipped on delicious cocktails, and, by the end of our journey, felt genuinely sad to leave. The only exception was Colonia in Uruguay; in "winter," it was somewhat dull.

In essence, I encourage everyone to travel to this beautiful country. I'd even consider living there!

We eagerly look forward to returning.
Thank you so much for your post.

That is pretty much the way we felt when we visited.

So we moved there:)

I would love to hear more about your trip

Thank you for posting this

Thank you for sharing this. I had planned to post something similar. We've been here for two weeks now, and we're thoroughly enjoying our time. I exited the airport terminal on a Sunday evening, tightly clutching my bag to my chest. On the way to the city, we observed numerous families having picnics on the roadside, enjoying themselves on the grass. We're staying in Recoleta, and it feels entirely safe. We primarily use taxis, which are abundant and affordable. We haven't encountered any taxi drivers attempting the counterfeit note scam, and there aren't people lurking on every street corner waiting to mug or harm you. While there have been some lines at ATMs, it's not the chaotic scenario some are describing. We haven't been targeted with "bird poo," but we do need to watch out for the occasional dog mess. The people we've met are friendly and helpful, and the food is among the best we've had anywhere. If you're contemplating canceling your trip, reconsider. Approach it with an open mind and exercise common sense.

And you know what was the best, besides the beautiful places we explored? The people, the "porteños," are truly a breed apart, haha! They are incredibly friendly, helpful, always trying to assist. We got to experience a different way of connecting with others, and we were fortunate to meet an Argentine family. They are very demonstrative, always kissing, hugging—even if they've just met you—and offering everything within their reach. We shared dinners with them and had the best experience.

Moreover, they highly value family time; it's sacred to them, and they are absolutely right! In the end, the most important thing is family. It's interesting to think that we Americans sometimes work non-stop and forget about these little things. And something amusing is that they always have a reason to celebrate; that's how they live life!

We are thrilled with our experience.

compare this to London UK at 11:30am robberies in the middle of a public square just this week:
I was shocked as a good friend of mine, his brother lives in Southern London about 30 minutes away and he was telling me about tons of stabbings. I hadn't heard of these but he said it's very common there. I had no idea.

Back