Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Crypto Worldcoin Iris Scan Scam in Argentina. Is anyone doing it?

I have read that this practice was banned in Spain and now it seems that Argentina is going the same way.

The Ministry of Production, Science and Technological Innovation of the province of Buenos Aires considers that the company: Worldcoin applies abusive clauses.

I have read that this practice was banned in Spain and now it seems that Argentina is going the same way.

The Ministry of Production, Science and Technological Innovation of the province of Buenos Aires considers that the company: Worldcoin applies abusive clauses.
I find all of this interesting. I never heard about this before. What exactly does the company plan to do with all these scans of the Iris? What can they do with them? How can they make money from it which is what I am assuming they plan to do?

This American guy was at a place and several people were doing this retina scan here in Argentina.

Interesting to see so many still interested but many locals are desperate for money so they figure they have nothing to lose and maybe they don't.

Looks like maybe Milei's meeting with all these AI executives wasn't all about Argentina benefitting. Isn't Sam Altman the guy that is in charge of this shady World Coin scanning of the irises in Argentina. This post shows that Milei met with employees of that company.
I did see that several WorldCoin employees were at the meeting but I'd have to think they were talking about AI as well. Saw this on X.

This was online. Someone posted the job positions of each photo with Milei. You would think that Milei would be more careful. If this really was a meeting about trying to increase World Coin in Argentina then Milei has some severe issues.

Oh wow. Hopefully this wasn't just some meeting to push this technology. I thought this meeting was about AI. This company is illegal in some countries.

Well Worldcoin just got hit with a 194,000,000 peso fine by Buenos Aires. The relationship doesn't sound like it's going too smooth.

I don't think any of these poor people in Argentina care much what is done with their scans. I haven't heard much since this if people are still getting their eyes scanned and paid for it. Does anyone know if they are still doing it?

Oh, because everyone's all of a sudden super worried about revealing their top-secret biological details! I mean, how do you even manage to survive the rigorous security at EZE Airport without your fingerprints? Do they have to tranquilize you or resort to a good old beating to get those prints?

And just for your information, in many places, getting a biometric passport involves a charming iris scan these days.
But hey, no clue about this WorldCoin thing, but at least it seems like they're not forcing you into it. What a relief!
Yeah we gave away our privacy long time ago.

Yeah we gave away our privacy long time ago.
Very true. The government already has all our biometric details when you get your passport, DNI, driver's license. There is no turning back now. Privacy is long gone. Soon the government will know everywhere you are from all the cameras in public areas. Some cities are probably already at this point.

I don't honestly care if the government has my data. Unless you are a criminal doing shady stuff, you don't really have anything to worry about.

Back