Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Day 1-2

CraigM

Great first couple of days in BA. A friend of mine now lives here and took me to some good spots for coffee and food. Took a couple of tennis lessons which was great (I don't play much tennis but figured it was something different I'd do here especially with all the red clay courts). That massage place Mike recommended was spot on, Mikaela has very strong hands and I was wounded leaving there yesterday but felt awesome this morning. Saw the US youth orchestra play at Teatro Colon, I mean wow. Biked all over Recoleta and Palermo. Recoleta was so cool I parked the bike and walked around. Trying to stay up to midnight to get into the rhythm of this city but my eyes are closing.

Garbage strike was the biggest non-event since Y2K. Streets everywhere are clean. I asked my friend about it, he said "what garbage strike?".

So glad you had a good start to your trip @CraigM! Tennis lessons are very affordable here compared to the States. Each time my brother comes here he also takes lessons. What are the hourly rates like these days?

That is wonderful you got a good massage. That is a true value here compared to other places around the world. Which place did you go to?

It does take time to adjust to the late night dinners here. Yes, the garbage has been cleaned up in most areas without problems now. Looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip.

Great first couple of days in BA. A friend of mine now lives here and took me to some good spots for coffee and food. Took a couple of tennis lessons which was great (I don't play much tennis but figured it was something different I'd do here especially with all the red clay courts). That massage place Mike recommended was spot on, Mikaela has very strong hands and I was wounded leaving there yesterday but felt awesome this morning. Saw the US youth orchestra play at Teatro Colon, I mean wow. Biked all over Recoleta and Palermo. Recoleta was so cool I parked the bike and walked around. Trying to stay up to midnight to get into the rhythm of this city but my eyes are closing.

Garbage strike was the biggest non-event since Y2K. Streets everywhere are clean. I asked my friend about it, he said "what garbage strike?".
Teatro Colón is a must visit so glad you got to see the US Youth Orchestra there. Recoleta is my favorite neighborhood. What has been your favorite meal? Did you have a chance to eat some steak yet? Welcome to BA.

The first few days are the toughest to adjust @CraigM! Took me a full week to get used to just how late they eat and stay up. Now I am accustomed to eating late. Fortunately there isn't a big time zone difference or jet lag involved for most people involved coming from the USA. Was the US Youth orchestra event a paid event or a private event? Didn't see that advertised anywhere. That must have been neat to see.

Glad you got to go biking like you planned. What did you end up doing? Going with a private group or just doing the City bikes?

So glad you had a good start to your trip @CraigM! Tennis lessons are very affordable here compared to the States. Each time my brother comes here he also takes lessons. What are the hourly rates like these days?

That is wonderful you got a good massage. That is a true value here compared to other places around the world. Which place did you go to?

It does take time to adjust to the late night dinners here. Yes, the garbage has been cleaned up in most areas without problems now. Looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip.
Thanks Betsy! Lessons are $20-30/hr including court which is very cheap. There's a Whatsapp group for tennis in BA (mostly English) where you can find coaches and people to play.

This is the massage place https://www.instagram.com/estetica.jyn/, it's right on Santa Fe near Plaza Italia. I believe it was $25 including a good tip.

My friend here also set me up on the Ecobici bike app, otherwise I probably wouldn't have figured it out. The app has a really poor rating and I'm guessing it's due to the setup, because once you get past that it's really easy to get bikes and return them. Some of the bikes aren't in the best shape or have low tires but there's enough at each station to find a decent one. It's a fantastic way to get around and not have to worry about theft.

Thanks Betsy! Lessons are $20-30/hr including court which is very cheap. There's a Whatsapp group for tennis in BA (mostly English) where you can find coaches and people to play.

This is the massage place https://www.instagram.com/estetica.jyn/, it's right on Santa Fe near Plaza Italia. I believe it was $25 including a good tip.

My friend here also set me up on the Ecobici bike app, otherwise I probably wouldn't have figured it out. The app has a really poor rating and I'm guessing it's due to the setup, because once you get past that it's really easy to get bikes and return them. Some of the bikes aren't in the best shape or have low tires but there's enough at each station to find a decent one. It's a fantastic way to get around and not have to worry about theft.
That is a great deal on the tennis! In the States it's around $100 USD per hour. My mom takes classes.

I agree about Ecobici. I'm not sure if tourists can easily sign up. My girlfriend also had to get me set up on the app. I have only used it a few times but prefer to walk around. The ones I have used were in pretty bad shape.

I also went to Estetica Jyn based on recommendations here. You can see the thread below. Last month I only paid 20,000 pesos for a 1 hour massage. Did the price go up @CraigM or maybe you just gave a good tip. At today's exchange rate that is about $15 plus whatever you want to leave for tip.

Teatro Colón is a must visit so glad you got to see the US Youth Orchestra there. Recoleta is my favorite neighborhood. What has been your favorite meal? Did you have a chance to eat some steak yet? Welcome to BA.
Thanks Vince! Recoleta is really wonderful. If I spent a lot of time here that's for sure where I would live. We had a great steak the other night in Palermo, can't remember the name but it was very inexpensive. Tonight we are headed to La Carniceria. I also had a quick lunch at Sotto Voce yesterday, probably should have spent more time and soaked in the atmosphere but I was keen to tour the neighborhood.

That's great @CraigM! I'm glad you are off to a great start. Buenos Aires is one of my absolute favorite cities in the world. Glad you also are getting in tennis lessons. My kids play competitive tennis here in the USA. My daughter plays Varsity tennis at high school since she was a Freshman. Tennis lessons there are a great deal. My kids all take lessons when they are in town. We also pay about $25 USD per hour per kid. They take lessons over near the Paseo al Corta shopping mall.

Glad you took my advice for a good massage. That's the first thing I do once I land in Buenos Aires. I usually eat and then head over for a massage with Micaela. Also, her mother Maria is also good. Or there is another Maria there too and you can get a 4 handed massage which isn't too much more than 2 handed. I usually get Micaela and Maria for that and it is well worth it.

Thanks Vince! Recoleta is really wonderful. If I spent a lot of time here that's for sure where I would live. We had a great steak the other night in Palermo, can't remember the name but it was very inexpensive. Tonight we are headed to La Carniceria. I also had a quick lunch at Sotto Voce yesterday, probably should have spent more time and soaked in the atmosphere but I was keen to tour the neighborhood.
Recoleta definitely is my favorite neighborhood and where I lived for so many years and where my office was located. You have some good friends as you're doing the trip right. SottoVoce is one of my all time favorite restaurants. I've hit that place hundreds of times over the past 22 years. I lived close to it so I was there all the time.

Have a great trip Craig and look forward to reading more of your trip reports.

That is a great deal on the tennis! In the States it's around $100 USD per hour. My mom takes classes.

I agree about Ecobici. I'm not sure if tourists can easily sign up. My girlfriend also had to get me set up on the app. I have only used it a few times but prefer to walk around. The ones I have used were in pretty bad shape.

I also went to Estetica Jyn based on recommendations here. You can see the thread below. Last month I only paid 20,000 pesos for a 1 hour massage. Did the price go up @CraigM or maybe you just gave a good tip. At today's exchange rate that is about $15 plus whatever you want to leave for tip.

No doubt about the bikes, they're not the best but I'm just trying to get around and so far every bike has been adequate. Not having to worry about it is the main thing.

That's great @CraigM! I'm glad you are off to a great start. Buenos Aires is one of my absolute favorite cities in the world. Glad you also are getting in tennis lessons. My kids play competitive tennis here in the USA. My daughter plays Varsity tennis at high school since she was a Freshman. Tennis lessons there are a great deal. My kids all take lessons when they are in town. We also pay about $25 USD per hour per kid. They take lessons over near the Paseo al Corta shopping mall.

Glad you took my advice for a good massage. That's the first thing I do once I land in Buenos Aires. I usually eat and then head over for a massage with Micaela. Also, her mother Maria is also good. Or there is another Maria there too and you can get a 4 handed massage which isn't too much more than 2 handed. I usually get Micaela and Maria for that and it is well worth it.

Recoleta definitely is my favorite neighborhood and where I lived for so many years and where my office was located. You have some good friends as you're doing the trip right. SottoVoce is one of my all time favorite restaurants. I've hit that place hundreds of times over the past 22 years. I lived close to it so I was there all the time.

Have a great trip Craig and look forward to reading more of your trip reports.
That's awesome Mike, glad your kids like tennis. Wish I had kept it up when I was their age.

I sincerely appreciate all the advice from you and everyone on this forum, it has already made a big difference in the trip. I'm meeting several more of your contacts next week and looking forward to it!

No doubt about the bikes, they're not the best but I'm just trying to get around and so far every bike has been adequate. Not having to worry about it is the main thing.
Fabulous you are off to a great start!! It sounds like you are the very active type. There is a lot to see and do in Buenos Aires. Agree about the bikes. They aren't the best but they are great to get around. Enjoy reading your posts so let us know how the rest of your trip goes.

I very much like your country! Really wish I spoke Spanish because the people are so friendly and so keen to help but language is a major barrier.
Most tourists that come to Buenos Aires enjoy the city. My friends from other country they fall in love with the city and very surprised how wonderful it is. It shame more don't speak English here but you will find we enjoy tourists and try to make them comfortable. It good excuse for you to start learning Spanish. Have a good and safe trip.

You sure did quite a bit to start off your trip. You are fortunate to watch a performance at the Teatro Colón. One of the best concert halls all over the world. It sounds like you have good friends to help you in Buenos Aires. That makes a big difference. When my friends come I also go out with them and help set up things to do.

Many strikes here are resolved quickly so glad the trash situation was solved for you. Which part of BA are you staying in? What do you think about cost of living at restaurants here? Sotto Voce is on expensive side here.

Kudus @CraigM on a good start to your trip. I also went to that same massage place for a massage. Very strong! In fact, I had to tell her to ease up a bit. Very powerful! My back hurt from the flight but she got all the knots out of my back. I'm totally jealous you got to watch a performance at the Teatro Colón.

Speaking Spanish will definitely enhance your trip. My first time to South America I didn't speak Spanish but then I pushed myself to learn and it makes a huge difference. Not many people speak English in Buenos Aires I found. But they all tried. With Google Translate I got by with no problem at restaurants or cafes and stuff for things I didn't know. They use some different words in Argentina compared to the rest of Latin America though.

What did you think of the steaks here @CraigM? I think I read in another post you said you also live in Texas? I thought all this talk about great steaks was overrated. I can find a great steak in Dallas although typically it was more expensive. Curious to what you think about it. An honest assessment. Thanks.

That's awesome Mike, glad your kids like tennis. Wish I had kept it up when I was their age.

I sincerely appreciate all the advice from you and everyone on this forum, it has already made a big difference in the trip. I'm meeting several more of your contacts next week and looking forward to it!
No problem at all. I truly believe that the sharing of great information helps everyone and I'm glad all the advice has helped with your trip. So glad that you're able to meet up with some of my friends. Have fun at the Real Estate expo! I wish I could have made it there. Tell Nicolas I said hello and have a great time.

Very good Craig. I hope your friend took you to San Telmo today. Sunday is the best day to visit San Telmo. I'm not sure how long you are here in BA but you should go to San Telmo on a Sunday to see it. Enjoy your trip.
Second about visiting San Telmo on a Sunday. It is fun to see all of the people and the tango dancing. Looking forward to read how the rest of your trip goes. It's fun to read trip reports and people's first time impressions of Buenos Aires.

Back