Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Day 3-5

That's a good question, I would say the Ecobici app is the one negative. I could never have figured it out on my own, and it took my local friend using his own passport, credit card and DNI to get it done on my phone. Once you get it the app works great every time, never had a problem getting a bike instantly, but getting the app is an unholy pain. My friend from London speaks enough Spanish to understand what it's asking us to do, but it simply doesn't work. It's a terrible shame.

One other negative I guess is dog poop. It's not on every block but there's enough (especially in Palermo) that you have to watch where you step. It doesn't bother me very much but it's an eyesore on an otherwise beautiful and fabulous city. Recoleta doesn't have nearly as much, in fact I can't remember seeing any.
My friend there also had to have a local allow her to use her DNI to get that App to work. They really should fix that if they want tourists to use it. Bummer about the dog poop. That is what my friend told me. She said you have to be very careful. I guess they weren't teasing me and it is true. A shame a beautiful city like BA wouldn't have people picking up. Great about Recoleta. Maybe I will stay there instead.

Great recommendation, I'll see if we have time!

Unfortunately I have not adjusted to the late night culture at all, I've just been an early riser for far too long. We are always leaving dinner before the place even gets crowded. We actually got back from the football game at 12:30am and that might be the first time I saw midnight in 20 years!
It took me a few weeks to get adjusted to the late nights here. I am normally a morning person but after a week I had to switch that as we weren't coming home from dinner until very late. If we went to some bars then it would be even later. Some times we would come home at 3 or 4 AM which I never do back home. I don't know how the Porteños do it going to bed so late and then going into work.

Have you adjusted to the very late night culture there @CraigM? Has your friend taken you to any authentic asados? It's a real treat if you get the chance to do that do it. If you have local friends there likely they can set that up for you. Or there are some Airbnb Experiences I have heard of locals putting together an authentic asado.

Also, Buenos Aires used to have more closed door restaurants but many closed during Covid. A fun experience if you enjoy bonding with some other travelers since you mentioned you enjoyed talking with the other tourists, is Casa Saltshaker.

My wife and I went there many years ago. The owner, Dan is an American and puts together dinners in his home. We met with travelers from Canada, UK and Hong Kong as well as Americans during the dinner and the food was very nice. That was a fun experience. Not sure if that kind of thing interests you or not. His place is in Recoleta.

I also went to Casa Saltshaker many years ago. It was a nice dinner. The food was ok but the company was the fun part. I met a few people from other countries. Most it was their first time to BA.

Have you adjusted to the very late night culture there @CraigM? Has your friend taken you to any authentic asados? It's a real treat if you get the chance to do that do it. If you have local friends there likely they can set that up for you. Or there are some Airbnb Experiences I have heard of locals putting together an authentic asado.

Also, Buenos Aires used to have more closed door restaurants but many closed during Covid. A fun experience if you enjoy bonding with some other travelers since you mentioned you enjoyed talking with the other tourists, is Casa Saltshaker.

My wife and I went there many years ago. The owner, Dan is an American and puts together dinners in his home. We met with travelers from Canada, UK and Hong Kong as well as Americans during the dinner and the food was very nice. That was a fun experience. Not sure if that kind of thing interests you or not. His place is in Recoleta.

It is good to hear that Dan's place is still going strong. I met him in the early 2000's. We were some of the few brave Americans that moved to Buenos Aires to start businesses after the corralito. I had dinner at his place twice. A very nice guy. There used to be a lot of closed-door restaurants. Some were very good. Many did close down during Covid which was unfortunate.

Can't believe what a blur this trip has been. It's my first vacation without family so I did a lot of planning to make sure I wasn't ever bored, but it is hard to be bored here and I've probably been trying to do too much.

Most days start at Moshu Treehouse for coffee, followed by taking an Ecobici to tennis at SportClub Obras Alcorta (where my instructor plays) or going to the gym "Always" across the street. My old university roommate arrived Sunday so we've done some tourist things like the cemetery, strolling Recoleta, etc. We eat so much for dinner I usually don't feel hungry until 1pm the next day, whereupon I look at my list (all compiled from recommendations here) to figure out where to eat next. Sottovoce still the favorite for lunch, we will eat there at least once more before going home.

Last night we went to the football match San Lorenzo vs Atletico Mineiro from Brazil which ended in a 1-1 tie; San Lorenzo scored a beautiful goal in the first half but their keeper gave up an easy one later on. We booked it through AirBnB where you meet a guide two hours before the game who takes you to a local sidewalk eatery for Choripan and Empanadas and gets you to the game and back safely. We were paired up with a group of fellows in their mid 20's from Brazil, Mexico, Argentina and France, all spoke perfect English and were very interesting. Think I enjoyed that as much as the game itself.

I also found time to visit a dentist here that I found on the State Department website, Isaac Meta. Very good and very reasonably priced, like everything else here. His office is in Soho.
I'm jealous. The only thing I didn't get to do was go to a soccer match while I was there but I will my next trip.

Can't believe what a blur this trip has been. It's my first vacation without family so I did a lot of planning to make sure I wasn't ever bored, but it is hard to be bored here and I've probably been trying to do too much.

Most days start at Moshu Treehouse for coffee, followed by taking an Ecobici to tennis at SportClub Obras Alcorta (where my instructor plays) or going to the gym "Always" across the street. My old university roommate arrived Sunday so we've done some tourist things like the cemetery, strolling Recoleta, etc. We eat so much for dinner I usually don't feel hungry until 1pm the next day, whereupon I look at my list (all compiled from recommendations here) to figure out where to eat next. Sottovoce still the favorite for lunch, we will eat there at least once more before going home.

Last night we went to the football match San Lorenzo vs Atletico Mineiro from Brazil which ended in a 1-1 tie; San Lorenzo scored a beautiful goal in the first half but their keeper gave up an easy one later on. We booked it through AirBnB where you meet a guide two hours before the game who takes you to a local sidewalk eatery for Choripan and Empanadas and gets you to the game and back safely. We were paired up with a group of fellows in their mid 20's from Brazil, Mexico, Argentina and France, all spoke perfect English and were very interesting. Think I enjoyed that as much as the game itself.

I also found time to visit a dentist here that I found on the State Department website, Isaac Meta. Very good and very reasonably priced, like everything else here. His office is in Soho.
What dental work did you do? How much was it? I need to find a good dentist for a cleaning. Maybe I will try Dr. Meta.

Thanks for sharing about your trip. Looks like you're having a great trip. How long are you in Argentina?

What dental work did you do? How much was it? I need to find a good dentist for a cleaning. Maybe I will try Dr. Meta.

Thanks for sharing about your trip. Looks like you're having a great trip. How long are you in Argentina?
Fairly simple stuff, rebuilding cracked/broken teeth. He had no trouble with that and really honest when I asked about veneers, said something like "I constantly have to talk patients out of veneers because other dentists recommend them. It's a longer and more expensive process and you don't need them at all". I was in & out of there in 90 minutes.

Fairly simple stuff, rebuilding cracked/broken teeth. He had no trouble with that and really honest when I asked about veneers, said something like "I constantly have to talk patients out of veneers because other dentists recommend them. It's a longer and more expensive process and you don't need them at all". I was in & out of there in 90 minutes.
Wow that is great to have an honest dentist. Almost all of them will talk you into stuff you don't need. So great.

Back