Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Death of Peronismo? We can only hope.

MelodyMirt

In examining the various posts concerning Kirchner, it's evident that there's a clear division of opinions. I've been present since he assumed power, witnessing the existing gap between the "workers" (unions) and the rest of the population steadily widen.

While I refrain from celebrating anyone's demise and find it distasteful when others do, from my personal perspective, this event could be seen as a positive development for Argentina.

Considering that CFK may not possess the strength or strategic acumen to sustain Kirchner's radical approach, it's important to acknowledge that Nestor was perceived as the "true" President.

My question is, do you believe his passing will mark the onset of a new era of policies, potentially steering the country away from the detrimental impact of peronismo that has impeded Argentina's investment, global standing, and reputation?

Regrettably, it appears unlikely that a substantial change will take place. The country is grappling with a significant number of uninformed individuals accustomed to the patronage system and reliant on meager handouts. The stock market's positive response to Kirchner's passing hints at a glimmer of hope, suggesting that his removal from the equation could pave the way for a more rational policy that attracts, rather than repels, investors.

Despite surface-level improvements, the reality is bleaker. Educational standards continue to decline, and a substantial segment of the population depends on state assistance. The socioeconomic divide has widened, creating a stark contrast between classes. The question remains whether the public would support a leader with sensible ideas for establishing a sustainable economic system, one who would rebuild relations with the first world rather than aligning with figures like Chavez and Morales.

In Argentina, individuals with higher education and qualifications often face disdain from the political establishment. It would be intriguing to investigate how many members of Congress have earned degrees. There have even been doubts about the authenticity of Cristina's law degree or Duhalde's legitimacy in using the title "Doctor."

Absolutely there are true problems for Argentina. I really love the country and have such high hopes for it but unfortunately the longer I live here the less hope I have for systematic fundamental change. Corruption is rooted in society here and that will be difficult to change.

The educational system is very bad here. Even at the private school level it's quite bad. Case in point, I had a client living in Argentina 4 years with his family. They went to good private schools here. When he moved back to the USA last year, one of his kids had to fall behind a full grade level. That's how bad the schools here are compared to first world countries.

Argentina is a very inefficient country. The judicial system is broken as well.

Don't get me wrong. There are lots of positives about the country but if you are talking fundamental systemic change....I'm not sure many of us will see that in our lifetimes. A true shame because this country has tremendous potential.

Absolutely, the observations about education are spot on. A robust education system plays a crucial role in a democracy. Well-informed and educated voters tend to make more informed and thoughtful decisions. On the contrary, inadequate education can lead to a plethora of issues, including the exploitation of vulnerable and less-educated voters by politicians. This pattern is unfortunately prevalent across Latin America. Therefore, prioritizing and enhancing the education system should be a top agenda item to address the challenges at hand.

Mark,

I totally agree with you. An excellent educational system is essential as you mentioned. The problem in many of these countries like Argentina where there is tremendous corruption, especially at the political level is that they enjoy those high levels of uneducated masses. Just look at the Kirchners and all these poor, uneducated masses they would bus in to stage protests. The highly educated and articulate and wealthier are harder at pulling the wool over their eyes than someone that isn't educated and has no assets that would gladly take a handout or vote all for a sandwich and some pesos.
Absolutely, the observations about education are spot on. A robust education system plays a crucial role in a democracy. Well-informed and educated voters tend to make more informed and thoughtful decisions. On the contrary, inadequate education can lead to a plethora of issues, including the exploitation of vulnerable and less-educated voters by politicians. This pattern is unfortunately prevalent across Latin America. Therefore, prioritizing and enhancing the education system should be a top agenda item to address the challenges at hand.

Back