Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Economy Did you know that Paraguay and Uruguay only accept dollar bills with the blue stripe?

america

A friend of mine visited the Iguazu Falls last long weekend and took the opportunity to go to Ciudad del Este in Paraguay to buy electronics, as they are significantly cheaper there compared to Argentina. He was surprised to find signs at the checkout counters indicating that they only accepted dollar bills with the blue stripe. Upon further investigation, we discovered that Uruguay follows the same policy regarding dollars. I still don’t quite understand why this is the case.

I read that they only accept these bills because they are part of a newer series with enhanced security features to prevent counterfeiting. However, they should communicate this policy more clearly, as I know people who have been caught off guard by this when trying to pay for products.

Goodbye to “small face” dollars: For four months, the Central Bank will accept old bills from banks to send them for destruction in the U.S. This move aims to facilitate the legalization of cash, with the deadline for exchanging bills set for December 31 of this year. Bills can be exchanged at the banks where you are a customer.

Back