Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Divorce Advice? Calling it quits after only 3 months. Help!

Silly Gringo

Ok, yes I know people will say I'm an idiot. I got married just 3 months ago in September 2023. My new bride is intolerable. She yells at me and is mentally and verbally abusive. I think I just got taken and she is a gold digger. Fortunately there are no children involved and my wife has no assets. I don't have any assets in Argentina. All my retirement savings are in the United States.

We both signed agreements that said whatever assets we had before the marriage are our own. Yes, call me a dumb gringo. I should have known better.

How screwed am I? Fortunately I have no assets here but I do have some assets in the USA. What a mess. I am an idiot.

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about this. How long did you know her before you got married? Did she all of a sudden just change? Anything change in the relationship? You should be careful in this situation. If you don't have any assets in Argentina why not just leave? Where do you live? Do you share a property with her? Just renting I assume? Why not go into a hotel or Airbnb in the short-term while you sort this out.

Be careful and if it's this bad maybe don't talk without a lawyer present. Don't eat anything she serves you! Women are crazy!

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about this. How long did you know her before you got married? Did she all of a sudden just change? Anything change in the relationship? You should be careful in this situation. If you don't have any assets in Argentina why not just leave? Where do you live? Do you share a property with her? Just renting I assume? Why not go into a hotel or Airbnb in the short-term while you sort this out.

Be careful and if it's this bad maybe don't talk without a lawyer present. Don't eat anything she serves you! Women are crazy!
She just had breast augmentation surgery and coming home in 1 day. I have no where to go and I have a large dog so I can't easily go to a hotel and many Airbnb's don't accept pets. I have to deal with the dog which is a pain.

Can my wife claim any of my assets in the USA after only being married for 3 months? I'm MUCH older than she is. She is young and milked me to pay for her new breasts. She applied for a tourist visa and at the USA Embassy they questioned our relationship as I'm so much older than she is. I thought she was in love with me.

I'm the one that wants out. She has no idea yet!

She just had breast augmentation surgery and coming home in 1 day. I have no where to go and I have a large dog so I can't easily go to a hotel and many Airbnb's don't accept pets. I have to deal with the dog which is a pain.

Can my wife claim any of my assets in the USA after only being married for 3 months? I'm MUCH older than she is. She is young and milked me to pay for her new breasts. She applied for a tourist visa and at the USA Embassy they questioned our relationship as I'm so much older than she is. I thought she was in love with me.

I'm the one that wants out. She has no idea yet!
GET OUT NOW. Find a house rental that takes dogs. Most will take a dog with a higher security deposit. Maybe try going further out of the Capital. I'm in a month to month with a dog. I had a similar situation. I'm only paying $600 a month but it's not pretty.

I have been divorced 4 times. I know, I know. I'm a glutton for punishment. Just take my advice and get out of the house before she knows you will end it. It gives you all the leverage.

I'm not sure if she can get your assets in the USA. If she signed a prenup I doubt it but she can make your life a hell or just hassle you with a lawyer and you will have to defend yourself. At a minimum you will spend money on a lawyer. If you don't have kids and she poisons you then she probably can get your $$$.

Women are evil.

No offense but you sound like an idiot. Both you and @Bill sound like you have issues. What kind of coward just leaves without talking about it. Why did you get married to someone so much younger? How much older are you then her?

If you signed a prenup agreement then why are you worried about assets in the USA? Anything you owned before married shouldn't be able to be claimed by her. Why stay here? Don't just say because of the dog. Find a lawyer and then get divorced. You don't need her consent for that. Just high tail it out of here if you're that miserable and next time be more careful before you get married.

Hopefully you didn't buy any real estate here together after marriage. I assume not as you said you have "no assets" here.

You are guys kidding me? Women are evil? How about men that are much older than young girls thinking that they are in love. Take some responsibility and also there are two sides to every story. Maybe you beat her? I'd love to hear her side of this!

Why are you so worried? Did you do something wrong to her? If you signed a prenup I don't see why you're so worried. It would take significant amount of money for her to find your assets in the USA. Unless of course you told her or left your excel spreadsheet with all your assets. She would need to hire lawyers and still convince a court to grant her some of it.

I'm not saying she can't try. Paperwork and stamps and Apostilles are a pain! Change all your passwords, maybe change banks, etc. Post back how this turns out. Don't be weak! You mentioned the new breast implants. Stay strong!

Ok, yes I know people will say I'm an idiot. I got married just 3 months ago in September 2023. My new bride is intolerable. She yells at me and is mentally and verbally abusive. I think I just got taken and she is a gold digger. Fortunately there are no children involved and my wife has no assets. I don't have any assets in Argentina. All my retirement savings are in the United States.

We both signed agreements that said whatever assets we had before the marriage are our own. Yes, call me a dumb gringo. I should have known better.

How screwed am I? Fortunately I have no assets here but I do have some assets in the USA. What a mess. I am an idiot.
It sounds like it takes two to tango. I wonder what she would say about you.

GET OUT NOW. Find a house rental that takes dogs. Most will take a dog with a higher security deposit. Maybe try going further out of the Capital. I'm in a month to month with a dog. I had a similar situation. I'm only paying $600 a month but it's not pretty.

I have been divorced 4 times. I know, I know. I'm a glutton for punishment. Just take my advice and get out of the house before she knows you will end it. It gives you all the leverage.

I'm not sure if she can get your assets in the USA. If she signed a prenup I doubt it but she can make your life a hell or just hassle you with a lawyer and you will have to defend yourself. At a minimum you will spend money on a lawyer. If you don't have kids and she poisons you then she probably can get your $$$.

Women are evil.
4 times? Yikes! I have a friend like you. Actually he got divorced 4 times but as crazy as it sounds he re-married one of the women that he got divorced to. I always laugh when he tries to give marriage advice to some of us. LOL. My other friends always joke amongst one another that we do NOT want ANY marriage advice or divorce advice from him as he has managed to screw that up both ways.

I don't think women are evil at all. Women are the best thing on this Earth! I'm not sure what the OP did or why they are fighting but I've found there are usually 2 sides to every story. @Silly Gringo I would invite your new young bride to join this new forum and I'd love to hear her side of the story too! Ha.

PS - Does she like Osaka? LOL. If so, let me know and I'd be happy to treat the two of you two a reconciliatory dinner there. Really killer sushi cures most things.

Thank you everyone for your wonderful advice. I decided to give it another try. I found out my new wife is having a baby. She claims it is mine. She claims she is in love. I'm not sure if I'm making the right decision. I never expected to have a child this late in life.

Thank you everyone for your wonderful advice. I decided to give it another try. I found out my new wife is having a baby. She claims it is mine. She claims she is in love. I'm not sure if I'm making the right decision. I never expected to have a child this late in life.
Do NOT do this. You're making the wrong decision. You don't even know if the kid is really yours. Did you go to the doctor with her to verify if it's the truth?

this could be a TV show, and it's only been a month! i hope everyone seeks happiness, and always remember to tell the truth even if you think it will hurt someone; they have a right to know anything that affects them, without it being filtered (both you and your new wife)

this could be a TV show, and it's only been a month! i hope everyone seeks happiness, and always remember to tell the truth even if you think it will hurt someone; they have a right to know anything that affects them, without it being filtered (both you and your new wife)
Funny how sometimes lots of drama in real life. I have many friends I always joke they can have a telenovela. I am having a lot of older friends now later in life that didn't want kids but they are dating much younger novas and somehow all of these girls are getting pregnant now. I told my friend Jeff I'm going to find the company that makes the DNA tests to verify kids are the father's and buy that stock!

Back