Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Does anyone else find it strange Argentina still thinks they won the Falklands War?

IrishLad

I am confused. Why does Argentina still think it won the Falklands War? They clearly lost to the UK. Why do they still think they have claim to the Falklands?

Argentina still acts like Falklands are theirs. The UK must just laugh at it.

Argentina still acts like Falklands are theirs. The UK must just laugh at it.

I read this today. Has anyone told Milei that NO ONE on the Falklands Islands wants to go back to Argentina? They are all happy being part of the UK.

I read this today. Has anyone told Milei that NO ONE on the Falklands Islands wants to go back to Argentina? They are all happy being part of the UK.

Yes I just find this a distraction. The locals there will never agree to it. Argentina can't win this and not worth arguing on this, IMHO. The UK will never give it up and Argentina can't make them. I think Milei should focus on the economy and he has enough issues and problems without creating new ones.

Milei``s and Mondinos comments are posturing for the Argentine audience / they know they have no chance of gaining control of the Falklands peacefully.

The only route that would make any sense is by going to the International Court of Justice and they, as did previous Argentine leaders, know they would lose there.

When my close Argentine friends bring this up in conversation , I ask them , why doesn't your government produce a 5 year plan for the Falklands explaining to the islanders how their lives would improve under Argentine rule?

And this would of course be impossible.

Milei``s and Mondinos comments are posturing for the Argentine audience / they know they have no chance of gaining control of the Falklands peacefully.

The only route that would make any sense is by going to the International Court of Justice and they, as did previous Argentine leaders, know they would lose there.

When my close Argentine friends bring this up in conversation , I ask them , why doesn't your government produce a 5 year plan for the Falklands explaining to the islanders how their lives would improve under Argentine rule?

And this would of course be impossible.
International Court has already ruled. There is no amount of planning or scheming that will end up with Argentina being in control of this Island again. The Islanders are very happy under British rule. Never going back. Why would they?

Argentina always talks about how they won the vote in the UN. That was very nice but they bought the votes from their friends and the people who hated the UK. But the UN doesn't really decide anything and it's not a court of law. The only place that matters is the ICJ and the Argentine nation has refused to take their case to this course. You don't really need to wonder why.

Argentina always talks about how they won the vote in the UN. That was very nice but they bought the votes from their friends and the people who hated the UK. But the UN doesn't really decide anything and it's not a court of law. The only place that matters is the ICJ and the Argentine nation has refused to take their case to this course. You don't really need to wonder why.
Yes you're right. I stand corrected. I just don't understand with all the problems Milei has to worry about they are wasting time on this. What do you think this is about @GlasgowJohn? I know you from your posts you are Scottish not from the UK but have you ever felt any resentment at all from locals?

Does it matter what the locals there think? I read before the locals there had to vote. Before didn't Argentina try to bribe the locals paying them millions each? There was an interesting article on the British's influence on Argentina here.

Now China supports Argentina's claim for the Malvinas. What a tangled web Milei weaves.

Now Milei acknowledges that they are from the UK but still intends to claim them anyway.

Now Milei acknowledges that they are from the UK but still intends to claim them anyway.

It sounds like Milei knows the reality that this won't get resolved for decades if ever at all.

Back