Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Does anyone else find it strange Argentina still thinks they won the Falklands War?

That's right, Milei and every other Argentine president and politician know that, but they have to keep saying that the islands belong to Argentina. Politics. 🙄
I don't believe that the younger generations even care about the Falklands. And the people in the Falklands would never agree to being ruled by Argentina so all of this is a non-issue. No one would purposely choose to have an Argentine passport vs. UK passport.

Have you been reading the expat sub on Reddit? I used to believe that people would never renounce US citizenship. Well, I was wrong. They are doing it mostly because of taxes.
Who can say what lies ahead for the UK and Argentina in the decades to come?
I haven't seen Reddit forums but I see some posts on Twitter but it seems like there are many people advertising services to get residencies to avoid taxes but most likely many people interested in this won't have the potential to make much money abroad. I don't know the future but I know that the people in the Malvinas likely won't want to change the set up they have now.

I don't believe that the younger generations even care about the Falklands. And the people in the Falklands would never agree to being ruled by Argentina so all of this is a non-issue. No one would purposely choose to have an Argentine passport vs. UK passport.
My son, along with everyone attending school here, gets indoctrinated at school.

I give him a fairly well-balanced version of the argument at home.

Given that most of the young people are very into human rights , I always ask is anyone considering the rights of the long-term residents of the Falklands?

The other question to ask is of course why has Argentina never taken the case to the International Court of Justice?

Some of his friends talk about winning a vote in the United Nations - I have to remind them that the UN is a club of corrupt politicians debating issues where they buy votes in exchange for favours. But that there is no legal foundation for any of their votes.

For Argentinians, it's a matter of pride. They argue that it was an unjust war. Argentinians were willing to send their sons to die for their country; society mobilized to bid farewell to the hero-men marching to the front. The media fueled optimism and triumphalist hopes among the population. But that was during the era of military dictatorship, so everything turned out horribly, with hundreds of young people left abandoned.

In the end, it was an unjust war because it was initiated by a military government. The fact that it was such a government was surely an aggravating factor, but it wasn't what constituted the injustice of the war itself. In reality, not even the most impeccable of democracies has the right to wage war. According to the UN Charter, states can only use violence against another state (a) in self-defense against aggression and (b) to enforce international law if they have authorization from the UN itself.

My son, along with everyone attending school here, gets indoctrinated at school.

I give him a fairly well-balanced version of the argument at home.

Given that most of the young people are very into human rights , I always ask is anyone considering the rights of the long-term residents of the Falklands?

The other question to ask is of course why has Argentina never taken the case to the International Court of Justice?

Some of his friends talk about winning a vote in the United Nations - I have to remind them that the UN is a club of corrupt politicians debating issues where they buy votes in exchange for favours. But that there is no legal foundation for any of their votes.
But does your son care at all about the issue one way or the other? None of my friends kids that are younger seem to have any strong issue on this even if they are indoctrinated at school. Most of them are more concerned about the economy and getting by vs. some silly island in the middle of nowhere that will affect them. There are bigger issues to them.

I agree that people need to consider what the people living there actually want.

For Argentinians, it's a matter of pride. They argue that it was an unjust war. Argentinians were willing to send their sons to die for their country; society mobilized to bid farewell to the hero-men marching to the front. The media fueled optimism and triumphalist hopes among the population. But that was during the era of military dictatorship, so everything turned out horribly, with hundreds of young people left abandoned.

In the end, it was an unjust war because it was initiated by a military government. The fact that it was such a government was surely an aggravating factor, but it wasn't what constituted the injustice of the war itself. In reality, not even the most impeccable of democracies has the right to wage war. According to the UN Charter, states can only use violence against another state (a) in self-defense against aggression and (b) to enforce international law if they have authorization from the UN itself.
Sad time for sure. But if push came to shove would people be willing to go and fight for the Falklands? I seriously doubt it. Milei is wise to not bring up the issue again. He should just focus on fixing the economy and nothing else.

But does your son care at all about the issue one way or the other? None of my friends kids that are younger seem to have any strong issue on this even if they are indoctrinated at school. Most of them are more concerned about the economy and getting by vs. some silly island in the middle of nowhere that will affect them. There are bigger issues to them.

I agree that people need to consider what the people living there actually want.
Not really but as a nation they love their flag and their national anthem more than most where I have lived

My kids were also indoctrinated at school growing up but they don't really have any strong feelings one way or another and do think about what the locals would want and that is to stay with the UK. They have never been to the Malvinas and never will go. It is at the bottom of a long list of things they worry about for Argentina.

Et tu Chile.

This pact wasn't very secret.

And many people know the reasons why / I trust you do @Avocado

Of course. I hear the United States Navy is working with Argentina to open a new base down South. Anyone heard anything concrete on it?
I think it goes without saying USA will have some presence in the South. Milei has already met up with the head of US Southern Command.

But lots of stuff in the news.

I think it goes without saying USA will have some presence in the South. Milei has already met up with the head of US Southern Command.

But lots of stuff in the news.

But why the build up in presence? Who does the USA see as a possible threat that far South? Russia, China?

But why the build up in presence? Who does the USA see as a possible threat that far South? Russia, China?
China is deemed as a possible threat. China already has a military base down South. With all the Global tensions, USA wants to keep tabs on China and also have a presence down South too. China is interested in building a base in Ushuaia which is a really strategic location because it could possibly control shipping lanes going from Atlantic Ocean to Pacific.

And of course things are heating up with Russia as well.

Back