Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Food & Drink Don Julio - Which wine do you recommend?

RCM

We're heading out tonight, and while I understand there might be better or more affordable options available, we're interested in trying a unique experience. Argentina is renowned for its Malbecs, but I'm not well-versed in selecting wines.

I realize I'm asking for recommendations at the last minute, but if anyone has suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. I'm not looking to overspend, and my palate isn't extremely refined, so any reasonably priced suggestion would be fantastic.

Thanks!

Welcome!

Note that I'm not a regular alcohol consumer. However, many of my friends enjoy it, and on occasion, I purchase drinks for them during my travels. You might want to consult them for recommendations and be open to exploring other varieties that aren't readily available back home. Additionally, consider inquiring about options not exported but reserved for the local market.

Good luck!

We opted for a Malbec from the Guatallery region, which was enjoyable and reasonably priced at 38k pesos.
As widely known, the food is pricier compared to most other places. While it was a pleasant experience, it didn't leave a lasting impression. With another four weeks in Buenos Aires, we prefer exploring different spots rather than going through the hoops to revisit.

We secured the early seating at 7 pm, joining the line with others with reservations. After a welcome glass of bubbly, everyone was ushered to their tables. We had an upstairs table with a view of the grill and the room below, providing a great vantage point to observe all the action without constant interruptions.
I ordered the ribeye, and my wife and her sister shared the striploin. The strip was good, but the ribeye fell short of expectations. While cooked nicely, it wasn't as tender as desired—ranking it at #4 out of the five ribeyes I've had so far, which isn't ideal given the price. Sides, bread, and other accompaniments were satisfying. The service was prompt, tailored to our pace. The total cost came to C$220, plus tip.

Considering we've had many exceptional meals for a fraction of that price, it puts things in perspective.

You're welcome!

I hesitate to label places as "better" since it's such a personal choice, and I'm not implying that Don Julio wasn't good. I believe it can depend on the specific cut of steak you get on any given day. My perspective is that, given the price at Don Julio, one would expect consistently high-quality steak.

As for places I enjoyed, Lo de Jesus (also on the expensive side), Rebellion (more budget-friendly), and Tomate were notable. While I liked the ambiance at La Hormiga, the steak turned out to be the toughest I've had so far.

We opted for a Malbec from the Guatallery region, which was enjoyable and reasonably priced at 38k pesos.
As widely known, the food is pricier compared to most other places. While it was a pleasant experience, it didn't leave a lasting impression. With another four weeks in Buenos Aires, we prefer exploring different spots rather than going through the hoops to revisit.

We secured the early seating at 7 pm, joining the line with others with reservations. After a welcome glass of bubbly, everyone was ushered to their tables. We had an upstairs table with a view of the grill and the room below, providing a great vantage point to observe all the action without constant interruptions.
I ordered the ribeye, and my wife and her sister shared the striploin. The strip was good, but the ribeye fell short of expectations. While cooked nicely, it wasn't as tender as desired—ranking it at #4 out of the five ribeyes I've had so far, which isn't ideal given the price. Sides, bread, and other accompaniments were satisfying. The service was prompt, tailored to our pace. The total cost came to C$220, plus tip.

Considering we've had many exceptional meals for a fraction of that price, it puts things in perspective.
The bottle of wine cost $38,000? That's crazy!

Thats a medium bottle of wine in Don Julio.
This is very true. They had very expensive bottles of wine over $100 USD per bottle there. I recently went on a date here and my assistant went too and our bill was over $500 US dollars for the meal. We had a few expensive bottles of wine too. Most restaurants have more reasonable prices for wine. Don Julio is one of the priciest places in town.

This is very true. They had very expensive bottles of wine over $100 USD per bottle there. I recently went on a date here and my assistant went too and our bill was over $500 US dollars for the meal. We had a few expensive bottles of wine too. Most restaurants have more reasonable prices for wine. Don Julio is one of the priciest places in town.
That crazy amount to spend for 3 people. You spend more in one night on dinner than many people in Argentina make in ONE MONTH.

and Saudi oil trust-fund kids have more money than all of us on this forum combined. what's your point, other than to illustrate your low intellect and cry victim as always?
@StatusNomadicus , it's time you gave @Avocado a break - Her comment was a perfectly acceptable one and there was no need to be so critical. 500 bucks is a pile of cash to spend , although it is becoming increasingly common to see big cheques in restuarants in town.

@StatusNomadicus , it's time you gave @Avocado a break - Her comment was a perfectly acceptable one and there was no need to be so critical. 500 bucks is a pile of cash to spend , although it is becoming increasingly common to see big cheques in restuarants in town.
Thank you very much. It a lot of money. I don't know why this guy always attack me. We all need to try to be friendly with one another even if we don't agree with politics. Thank you @GlasgowJohn!

There was a great post about some good quality steak by this poster yesterday.

@GlasgowJohn if you'd defend me against Avocado continuously posting crap like "this person wants to bring guns to Argentina, REEEEEEE!!!!1111ONEONEone" on multiple threads, i would consider your request. but no, Commies need to be scorned every time they say lies and play the victim

i'll be friendly to you, @Avocado when you learn to accept others' opinions, as you say. you have no tolerance for Libertarianism, yet you claim that you need to be tolerated when your government idols have put 50% poverty and 1% DAILY inflation. why would i be tolerant of a system that unnecessarily harms the innocent? this is one of the greatest evils; the perpetuation of unnecessary suffering

remember that Avocado started posting non-stop MILEI BAD stuff and then attacking me, first. if we want to play the victim game, @GlasgowJohn:

1. "are you blind??" https://www.expatsba.com/threads/ne...-why-dollarization-is-a-fantasy.406/post-2743

2. advocating for murderer Che Guevara: https://www.expatsba.com/threads/ar...er-michelin-stars-michelin-guide.128/post-966 (i view this as evil as advocating for Hitler or Mussolini)

3. "you all sound like animals" - wow, great nuanced view, and totally not insulting! https://www.expatsba.com/threads/is-the-expat-party-in-buenos-aires-coming-to-an-end.40/post-929

4. Milei bad, world ending, blahblah blah...this sort of stupidity and self-assuredness shouldn't go unchallenged, sorry https://www.expatsba.com/threads/wh...lue-dollar-why-is-it-going-down.453/post-3053

show me some tolerance, otherwise you get your own medicine...that's how the world works buddy

Back