Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Gerarder

Hi
quick summary of my life:
I am going back to the US in 48 hours.
I have 2000 argentine pesos.
No one will change them to dollars at a "reasonable" rate (not even at 5p to the dollar).
I need help. Anyone who is willing to change their dollars to pesos at 5p to the dollar within the next 48 hours, please please PLEASE let me know. I am desperate. I have been to: AFIP, every bank possible, casas de cambio, cuevas, even the US embassy.*

*US embassy told me they can´t do anything because it is Argentine Law that is restricting dollars. The AFIP told me that technically I have a right to change my pesos to dollars, but said no anyway and sent me away.

If you have dollars, DONT CHANGE THEM. :mad:

need help urgently.

Hello,

Your best option would be to identify someone interested in acquiring pesos whom you can sell to in exchange for PayPal or a bank transfer. I recently went through this process with a friend, and it worked smoothly, although it requires a level of trust. If you don't have someone trustworthy, consider doing this in a café or involving a 'well-respected member' of the forum.

Determine the rate and fees, have them provide you with pesos, and then transfer the equivalent amount via PayPal. I executed this from a Canadian bank account to a US PayPal account, and if the transaction is between Americans, it should be even more straightforward (with no exchange fees). While there might be a slight delay in the funds arriving in your account, you will receive a notification once the transfer is initiated.

Best of luck!

Have you tried calling your bank in the states? My bank said they would change my pesos at a rate of about 5.1 pesos to the dollar. I know not all banks will do it, but it's definitely worth a call!!

Have you tried calling your bank in the states? My bank said they would change my pesos at a rate of about 5.1 pesos to the dollar. I know not all banks will do it, but it's definitely worth a call!!
Could you let us know what US bank is accepting pesos at 5.1? This sounds too good to be true. I have a lot of pesos to sell for dollars at 5.1.

Could you let us know what US bank is accepting pesos at 5.1? This sounds too good to be true. I have a lot of pesos to sell for dollars at 5.1.
Exactly! No USA banks are dealing with pesos. Forget what the clueless person on the customer service phone number tells you. Most don't understand the situation in Argentina now. They might tell you something but when you show up at the branches they aren't interested in Argentine pesos.

I'd love to hear from one person that has recently sold pesos to a bank in the USA. Let us know which branch because the ones I talked to no one is interested in it. It's too volatile and depreciating too rapidly.

Back