Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Electricity and gas: the Government is considering freezing tariffs throughout the winter

Avocado

Good news if Milei and Caputo suspend the increases for the winter. The increases have been shocking this year.

A report by Fundación Capital detailed that the average increases in residential electricity (146%), gas (427%), water (209%) and collectives (410%) in the first quarter occurred in a period in which inflation was 112% and wages grew only 96 percent. That meant doubling the weight of public services in the income of families to levels that were not seen since 2019 after the adjustment during the Government of Mauritius Macri.

Good news if Milei and Caputo suspend the increases for the winter. The increases have been shocking this year.

A report by Fundación Capital detailed that the average increases in residential electricity (146%), gas (427%), water (209%) and collectives (410%) in the first quarter occurred in a period in which inflation was 112% and wages grew only 96 percent. That meant doubling the weight of public services in the income of families to levels that were not seen since 2019 after the adjustment during the Government of Mauritius Macri.

Good news and wise by the administration. They are finally using their heads with forcing the prepagas to stop raising prices and this will help.

But many companies are already laying off many people. FV laid off hundreds of employees. Many others will do the same since no one has money to buy anything.

Will be nice to have a reprieve. I am wondering how high the rates will eventually go and how locals will cope with such high rates.

I know everything is relative but utility rates there still seem to be very inexpensive vs. many other countries around the world. I know that doesn't help the locals to say that but it's true.

For those of you on low incomes, make sure to reapply for a lower rate/subsidy by August 5.

I read on another thread that if you quality it is easy to apply and get your bill lowered. That subsidy chart is wild! I just posted in another thread. Look at that jump up in just one month. Wowzers.

GLexbzzWYAEWiO4.jpeg

I just saw this. Funny how these people that say they don't have any money use so much energy? This says 11,777 kwh for a bill. A bill is 2 months. How does anyone use this much electricity??

Maybe they are mining bitcoin. My parents have a big house and use a lot of AC in the summer and they don't come anywhere near to that amount of energy. I heard in Argentina that entire blocks are illegally plugged into a meter. Maybe it is that.

Maybe they are mining bitcoin. My parents have a big house and use a lot of AC in the summer and they don't come anywhere near to that amount of energy. I heard in Argentina that entire blocks are illegally plugged into a meter. Maybe it is that.
It would be difficult for a typical person to have that much usage. Even if you had a huge house. They need to investigate and see who is all plugged into their usage.

I just saw this. Funny how these people that say they don't have any money use so much energy? This says 11,777 kwh for a bill. A bill is 2 months. How does anyone use this much electricity??

I seriously doubt that is just 1 billing cycle. You'd have to have a MONSTER house and kee the heat/AC going 24/7 and still have a tough time reaching that much electricity use. Maybe others in the neighborhood are all using her meter.

Many people online are complaining about paying $0.05 per kwh. People are just going to have to learn to conserve energy. Some people complaining are using a lot of electricity.

View attachment 6880
To be fair, it's not difficult to use that much electricity kwh if you have a few split units in your place, washing machine, dryer and use the heat in the winter and AC in the summer. Turning up/down the AC/heater a few degrees makes all the difference in the world. A bill like that would be about $500 to $600 in much of the US.

It sounds like outside of CABA it's much more expensive for electricity. I saw this bill online and they barely are using any kwh. Only 400 kwh and still had a bill over 101,000 pesos. People in CABA complaining have no idea what is probably coming.

Also, some people switched from gas to electric water heaters and those take up a lot of electricity.

GU-kLscWIAMxwUa.jpeg

It sounds like outside of CABA it's much more expensive for electricity. I saw this bill online and they barely are using any kwh. Only 400 kwh and still had a bill over 101,000 pesos. People in CABA complaining have no idea what is probably coming.

Also, some people switched from gas to electric water heaters and those take up a lot of electricity.

View attachment 6881
Yes people in CABA always complain how expensive things are and I tell them things here are much cheaper than in the interior of Argentina.

What do people expect? Argentina had the cheapest electricity prices in the world besides Iran up until last year. You can see that is not sustainable.

electricity prices.jpg

Back