Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Electronic components aduana

DanielTu

Hello.

My question is the following. Now in January I am going to travel to Argentina. It turns out that several friends from Argentina asked me to bring them electronic components for their computers, motherboards, RAM, etc.. Because here in the USA it is much cheaper.
Will I have any problems entering Argentina with so many computer components?

It is a customs issue.

Check the site and the items that may or may not enter from neighboring countries that may differ if it is by land or air and that also does not exceed the established value.

The issue is also about the quantity

It is not the same to bring in a variety of items than 100 of the same items.

If they are varied things you can take them for personal use, but if you bring many of the same item you are obviously bringing them to do business.

My friends do this all the time for me! I go back to the USA 3 times a year and I always come back with a few Apple MacBook and iPads. The key is to make sure you make it so when you turn it on it's not new. The only time I had issues was when I brought 3 iPads and they all were never programmed so when you turned it on it was like a brand new iPad. Same with MacBook. They gave me a hard time but I told them they were for my office. I flashed my USA passport and played dumb.

They mostly don't want you trying to sell them here. I have had as many as 4 iPads and I have them all programmed with some apps on it. They ask why I have so many computers sometimes but I tell them they are work and I have a different one for different companies. Ha. They buy it.

I'm not sure if it will be easier or not but mostly they hassle Argentines not Americans or foreigners.

My BFF Brian just arrived and I needed a bunch of stuff including a new MacBook Air as mine my stupid Assistant dropped and cracked the screen. I went to some FAKE Apple Store and they wanted too much money. It would have cost the same amount to fix it than get a new one. So BFF Brian to the rescue. He just arrived yesterday with new MacBook Air in tow. He had his MacBook too and didn't have any issues.

Back