Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Favorite neighborhoods for Expats to live in Buenos Aires? With the best vibe and characteristics for me?

Jenn

A huge thank you to all who have shared information on my other posts. I think I am getting over my fear of dog poop all over the place. You all are a good sport with me and my smelling fears of stepping in poop. I am reading a lot online on blogs but what all would you say is the best neighborhood for an expat to live in? I know I want to stay central in the CABA. Even though I'm a small town girl it sounds like the nicest neighborhoods are in Recoleta or Palermo or around there. Has anyone lived in both Recoleta and parts of Palermo to compare and contrast so I can get a flavor of the vibe and characteristics of the various best neighborhoods?

Huge thank you to all of you.

Buenos Aires is a city with diverse neighborhoods, each offering a unique atmosphere and lifestyle. While safety can vary within any city, several neighborhoods in Buenos Aires are generally considered safe and popular among expats. It's important to note that perceptions of safety can be subjective, and factors like personal preferences and lifestyle choices also play a role. Here are some neighborhoods that expatriates often find appealing:
  1. Recoleta:
    • Characteristics: Elegant and upscale neighborhood known for its historic architecture, wide avenues, and green spaces. It's home to cultural attractions, museums, and upscale shops.
    • Vibe: Recoleta has a sophisticated and cosmopolitan vibe, with a mix of cultural events and a lively social scene.
  2. Palermo:
    • Characteristics: Divided into several sub-districts, Palermo is one of the largest neighborhoods. It includes Palermo Soho, Palermo Hollywood, and Palermo Chico.
    • Vibe: Palermo is known for its trendy atmosphere, with a vibrant nightlife, fashionable boutiques, and a diverse culinary scene. Palermo Soho is particularly popular for its bohemian and artistic vibe but getting very touristy.
  3. Belgrano:
    • Characteristics: A residential area with tree-lined streets, parks, and a mix of architectural styles. Belgrano is divided into several zones, including Belgrano R and Belgrano C.
    • Vibe: Belgrano offers a quieter atmosphere compared to Palermo, making it suitable for those seeking a more relaxed and family-friendly environment. It has a mix of residential and commercial areas.
  4. Puerto Madero:
    • Characteristics: A waterfront district with modern skyscrapers, upscale restaurants, and green spaces. It's a relatively new and upscale development.
    • Vibe: Puerto Madero has a contemporary and luxurious vibe, attracting both residents and visitors looking for a modern living experience with access to the waterfront.
  5. Núñez:
    • Characteristics: A residential neighborhood with parks and sports facilities. It's known for its tranquility and proximity to the River Plate.
    • Vibe: Núñez has a residential and family-friendly vibe, offering a peaceful atmosphere while still being close to amenities and recreational areas.
  6. San Telmo:
    • Characteristics: One of the oldest neighborhoods in Buenos Aires, known for its cobblestone streets, historic architecture, and vibrant street markets.
    • Vibe: San Telmo has a bohemian and artistic atmosphere, with tango clubs, art galleries, and a mix of traditional and modern elements.
While these neighborhoods are generally considered safe and suitable for expatriates, it's crucial to research and visit them personally to find the one that aligns with your preferences and lifestyle. Additionally, consulting with local residents and expatriate communities can provide valuable insights into the day-to-day experiences of living in these neighborhoods.

A huge thank you to all who have shared information on my other posts. I think I am getting over my fear of dog poop all over the place. You all are a good sport with me and my smelling fears of stepping in poop. I am reading a lot online on blogs but what all would you say is the best neighborhood for an expat to live in? I know I want to stay central in the CABA. Even though I'm a small town girl it sounds like the nicest neighborhoods are in Recoleta or Palermo or around there. Has anyone lived in both Recoleta and parts of Palermo to compare and contrast so I can get a flavor of the vibe and characteristics of the various best neighborhoods?

Huge thank you to all of you.
I would recommend you stay in different neighborhoods with Airbnb first so you can check out which area you like the most before you commit to a long-term contract. I did this and it was a good experience. I have stayed in Palermo Soho, Hollywood, Villa Crespo, Belgrano, Recoleta and Puerto Madero.

Each is different. My favorite by a long shot is Recoleta. It feels like a real neighborhood and not too touristy. Much cleaner and very central. Everywhere feels close to me. When I stayed in Puerto Madero it was too far to get to places in Palermo. Same problem in Belgrano it was too far to easily get to parts of Palermo or Recoleta. Those two were just too far.

Villa Crespo felt too grungy for me and Soho was too touristy. I liked Hollywood and it felt cleaner than other parts of Soho. I walked around Palermo Chico and it was very nice. But I didn't live there as I didn't see many rentals in that area for my dates. My favorite so far is Recoleta.

Puerto Madero you may as well just stay home

San Telmo is the dingy dirtiest suburb on your list if you are worried about dog sh*t you won't make it there especially if the economy gets worse

Recoleta is your answer
Agreed! I don't get why people like Puerto Madero so much. Prices are crazy. It IS clean but it isn't the true Buenos Aires. It's all modern buildings. I agree Recoleta is probably the best neighborhood for you.

A better question is what are you looking for. Other than the doggy doodoo dance... something quiet, something touristy, or something else?
Yes, my #1 priority is avoiding dog poop. But besides that a beautiful neighborhood that isn't too loud. I don't mind a little tourism but I don't want to only see tourists. I'd like a clean area that is safe. I don't want to be too far out of the city as I read that it's better to be near the center of the city so Recoleta and Palermo look nice.

I would go off the beaten track and go out to places like Caballito, Villa del Parque and Villa Devoto
I will check into those areas. It sounds like less popular areas but I will go there if you think there is less dog poop.

Yes, my #1 priority is avoiding dog poop. But besides that a beautiful neighborhood that isn't too loud. I don't mind a little tourism but I don't want to only see tourists. I'd like a clean area that is safe. I don't want to be too far out of the city as I read that it's better to be near the center of the city so Recoleta and Palermo look nice.

I will check into those areas. It sounds like less popular areas but I will go there if you think there is less dog poop.
Recoleta fits the bill. Palermo chico or the area by Parque Las Heras I believe it's called Palermo Alto are nice too. Like others have mentioned you can do airbnbs and explore around, but there's a reason most do either Palermo or Recoleta. Good luck.

Recoleta fits the bill. Palermo chico or the area by Parque Las Heras I believe it's called Palermo Alto are nice too. Like others have mentioned you can do airbnbs and explore around, but there's a reason most do either Palermo or Recoleta. Good luck.
Thank you! Yes, Recoleta is sounding more and more like it's the area for me. Thanks for all your nice and friendly posts.

Puerto Madero you may as well just stay home

San Telmo is the dingy dirtiest suburb on your list if you are worried about dog sh*t you won't make it there especially if the economy gets worse

Recoleta is your answer
Agreed! I also don't like San Telmo. I never was crazy about this area but lately it's just touristy and in addition to the tango dancers and backpackers it is crowded with tourists too everyday not just Sunday. Feels seedy at night. I agree Recoleta or parts of Palermo are very nice. Palermo Chico and many parts of Palermo that aren't too touristy are nice.

Caballito, Villa del Parque and Villa Devoto
disagree; she hasn't traveled whatsoever, and knows no Spanish....going far from the central areas would be far too intimidating. those areas are wayyyy on the edge of CABA, touching the Provincia! i haven't even been that far, and i speak Spanish and i've been here for 2 months, full-time researching the city

disagree; she hasn't traveled whatsoever, and knows no Spanish....going far from the central areas would be far too intimidating. those areas are wayyyy on the edge of CABA, touching the Provincia! i haven't even been that far, and i speak Spanish and i've been here for 2 months, full-time researching the city
Disagree with this. I have been to these areas and it's no more daunting than other areas. It is safe in these areas. She will most likely just jump in an Uber when she needs to go somewhere. I don't think you need to speak any Spanish to visit these neighborhoods. It was fine when I went. To be fair I didn't live or stay in these areas for long periods of time. But if you're from a small town you might prefer these areas more.

I don't necessarily think more touristy = better or easier. Caballito is a more relaxed area and slower paced to me but @GlasgowJohn sounds like he knows the area better than me. People actually seemed friendlier in these areas when I explored these areas. My friend was staying out in this area so I visited him. He had an Airbnb in Caballito and his girlfriend lived in Villa Devoto so we went there one night.

Last edited:
I lived in Caballito for 2 years and Villa del Parque for 5 .
Still visit the thre areas mentioned as we have family ther and they have some pretty good restauarants as well.
Much less dog poop than in the central touristy areas....

Still visit the thre areas mentioned as we have family ther and they have some pretty good restauarants as well.
Great that you lived in those areas for so long. I liked Caballito and my friend said it is getting more popular locally. I'm not sure if that is true or not. But it was very nice, clean and I agree I saw less dog poop in that area. But granted I was not there more than 1 full day. But great news for @Jenn! Ha.

I think if you're used to a smaller town and don't need to dine out at touristy places, my experience is you can find good restaurants in any neighborhood of CABA. Plus, if you're living here long term and on a budget you probably won't eat out daily and cook more at home. BA is a huge city and I haven't been to many neighborhoods yet and they have many nice areas.

Did someone mention MUCH LESS DOG POOP???! That is heaven to my ears (and my sensitive nose)! I will check those areas out! Thanks.

Did someone mention MUCH LESS DOG POOP???! That is heaven to my ears (and my sensitive nose)! I will check those areas out! Thanks.
You are going to see so much dog poop you will never believe it, and not in neat little piles either, but smeared down the street for metres and metres as a reminder of the brave souls who came before you and stepped in it, Get ready for a complete breakdown, start making down payments at your psychiatrist

You are going to see so much dog poop you will never believe it, and not in neat little piles either, but smeared down the street for metres and metres as a reminder of the brave souls who came before you and stepped in it, Get ready for a complete breakdown, start making down payments at your psychiatrist
People probably think you are joking but this actually can happen. I have seen that many times when it's just a constant trail. Fortunately I don't see it often but in some areas, no one hoses off the sidewalks so all you can do is pray for a deep downpour of rain.

I hope you are just kidding. My friend in Buenos Aires now teases me for my fear of smelling/stepping in dog poop. Sometimes she sends me photos but she hasn't sent me anything like that! You are making me hyperventilate @MickMolloy! I hope you're just joking.

People probably think you are joking but this actually can happen. I have seen that many times when it's just a constant trail. Fortunately I don't see it often but in some areas, no one hoses off the sidewalks so all you can do is pray for a deep downpour of rain.
Oh no! I was getting up the courage to make it to BA but now reading your posts just scares me. Maybe I will go to Cordoba instead.

Buenos Aires is a city with diverse neighborhoods, each offering a unique atmosphere and lifestyle. While safety can vary within any city, several neighborhoods in Buenos Aires are generally considered safe and popular among expats. It's important to note that perceptions of safety can be subjective, and factors like personal preferences and lifestyle choices also play a role. Here are some neighborhoods that expatriates often find appealing:
  1. Recoleta:
    • Characteristics: Elegant and upscale neighborhood known for its historic architecture, wide avenues, and green spaces. It's home to cultural attractions, museums, and upscale shops.
    • Vibe: Recoleta has a sophisticated and cosmopolitan vibe, with a mix of cultural events and a lively social scene.
  2. Palermo:
    • Characteristics: Divided into several sub-districts, Palermo is one of the largest neighborhoods. It includes Palermo Soho, Palermo Hollywood, and Palermo Chico.
    • Vibe: Palermo is known for its trendy atmosphere, with a vibrant nightlife, fashionable boutiques, and a diverse culinary scene. Palermo Soho is particularly popular for its bohemian and artistic vibe but getting very touristy.
  3. Belgrano:
    • Characteristics: A residential area with tree-lined streets, parks, and a mix of architectural styles. Belgrano is divided into several zones, including Belgrano R and Belgrano C.
    • Vibe: Belgrano offers a quieter atmosphere compared to Palermo, making it suitable for those seeking a more relaxed and family-friendly environment. It has a mix of residential and commercial areas.
  4. Puerto Madero:
    • Characteristics: A waterfront district with modern skyscrapers, upscale restaurants, and green spaces. It's a relatively new and upscale development.
    • Vibe: Puerto Madero has a contemporary and luxurious vibe, attracting both residents and visitors looking for a modern living experience with access to the waterfront.
  5. Núñez:
    • Characteristics: A residential neighborhood with parks and sports facilities. It's known for its tranquility and proximity to the River Plate.
    • Vibe: Núñez has a residential and family-friendly vibe, offering a peaceful atmosphere while still being close to amenities and recreational areas.
  6. San Telmo:
    • Characteristics: One of the oldest neighborhoods in Buenos Aires, known for its cobblestone streets, historic architecture, and vibrant street markets.
    • Vibe: San Telmo has a bohemian and artistic atmosphere, with tango clubs, art galleries, and a mix of traditional and modern elements.
While these neighborhoods are generally considered safe and suitable for expatriates, it's crucial to research and visit them personally to find the one that aligns with your preferences and lifestyle. Additionally, consulting with local residents and expatriate communities can provide valuable insights into the day-to-day experiences of living in these neighborhoods.
We liked Recoleta and Palermo the most out of all these areas. But we felt safe in all of Buenos Aires. It's amazing how safe it is for how bad the economy is.

Back