Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer First day of the Olympics in Paris: Argentines say "This is a disaster"

noname

We've seen on social media the complaints from competitors about the cardboard beds. Some athletes, like the Australian BMX team and a few Argentine footballers, have been victims of theft. The Australians had it the worst, with their bags containing competition gear stolen.

Adding to the embarrassment, the Argentine football team not only had to endure being robbed but also faced Moroccan fans entering the field to insult them during the match. And to top it off, two hours after the game ended, Argentina's tying goal was annulled—something never seen before in the history of sports.

This country clearly wasn't prepared for such an event. It's a disgrace!

Another incident at the Olympics: the British delegation has resorted to alternative food methods, claiming the provided diet is unsuitable for high-performance athletes. It's starting to look more like the Hunger Games than the Olympics.🤦‍♂️

Another incident at the Olympics: the British delegation has resorted to alternative food methods, claiming the provided diet is unsuitable for high-performance athletes. It's starting to look more like the Hunger Games than the Olympics.🤦‍♂️

Yes from everything I've read so far it's been a train wreck. This morning they said someone caused the Metro to shut down on some lines. Miserable.

Yes from everything I've read so far it's been a train wreck. This morning they said someone caused the Metro to shut down on some lines. Miserable.
Several trains between Paris and London, as well as Paris and Brussels, have been canceled. Repairs are expected to take more than a week. It’s really a mess.

In addition, thefts are still ongoing. Has Paris become an unsafe city? Several athletes have reported thefts, even within the sports complex.

My sister is there now and she said it's a disaster. Many streets are all blocked off. Probably the worst time to ever visit Paris.
I also have family there now and they say it is horrible. Today they sabotaged and lots of arson on the trains. It was impossible to get around much of Paris today. My family was in another city and was going to take the train in and it was closed all day. They tried to get a bus but all were already full. A very bad start to the beginning of Olympics. Paris has fallen.

Watching it on NBC and extremely boring. They should have just done opening ceremony in a stadium. On TV they have to fill it in with production stuff that mostly isn't even of the ceremony. Never seen a more boring opening ceremony.

I see the IOC is so embarrassed by some of the opening ceremony from people bashing them on Twitter that the IOC is demanding people take things down on X. Not sure how that works when it was already publicly aired. Many parts of it were very bizarre.
True. The IOC even deleted their own video of it from the backlash. I saw one sponsor even announced they were pulling back from advertising.

Back