Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer First day of the Olympics in Paris: Argentines say "This is a disaster"

New scandal in the Olympic Games: Italian boxer Angela Carini lasted only 46 seconds in the ring against Imane Khelif, who is biologically male. Distressed and with tears in her eyes, she stated that she had never been hit so hard in her life. She said it is up to the International Olympic Committee to judge this situation.
From my point of view, they're not on equal footing. I understand wanting to support diversity, but in this case, it's clear that she is at a disadvantage.

Not so fast. They said this is a girl and always raised as a girl. I feel so sorry for her. That Italian girl has cried before like that losing to another female.

Not so fast. They said this is a girl and always raised as a girl. I feel so sorry for her. That Italian girl has cried before like that losing to another female.
Yes, it seems like people jumped the gun on that other boxer calling her a man. Also, this Angela Carini has a history of crying in matches. She should have shook the other boxer's hand after the match.

Yes, it seems like people jumped the gun on that other boxer calling her a man. Also, this Angela Carini has a history of crying in matches. She should have shook the other boxer's hand after the match.

I honestly don't know what to believe. Seems like proof that it really is a female. What a terrible thing for everyone to call her a man. But you have other people in the boxing world still insisting she is a man. Hard to trust anyone these days.

The former head of the medical committee of the International Boxing Association (IBA) revealed that 'anomalies' were found in the blood tests of both boxers, which led to their disqualification from the 2023 Boxing World Championship. Authorities are supporting the theory that these two boxers, who are caught up in a gender controversy, are actually men.

"The medical results, the blood results, seem - and the laboratory says - that these boxers are men"
1722964292983.jpeg

Argentina's womens field hockey team plays in the Semi-Finals on Wednesday. Go Argentina!
Unfortunately, they lost to the Netherlands and will now compete for the bronze medal.

Paris was a shithole in 2014 when i was there - groups of tall-as-hell African dudes 20-30 years old would surround people and pressure them to buy junk. i was with a female friend on vacation and had no idea they had so many Islamist/jihadist dudes there, and everything i hear is that it's worse now. i was pretty close to getting physical with a group of 4 huge guys and i was fairly certain i was going to get jumped. no police anywhere, similar to the UK now.

they say if you import the Third World, you get to live in the Third World. can we really blame the working-class Brits right now in the UK, protesting the influx of Muslim gangs? (of course burning buildings and cars is almost always unacceptable). but if you push the political Right too much, you get a very bad backlash.

the Boxing XY chromosome nonsense was horrible to see. @bowtiedmara nailed it with his hijab/niqab/burka comment:

Paris was a shithole in 2014 when i was there - groups of tall-as-hell African dudes 20-30 years old would surround people and pressure them to buy junk. i was with a female friend on vacation and had no idea they had so many Islamist/jihadist dudes there, and everything i hear is that it's worse now. i was pretty close to getting physical with a group of 4 huge guys and i was fairly certain i was going to get jumped. no police anywhere, similar to the UK now.

they say if you import the Third World, you get to live in the Third World. can we really blame the working-class Brits right now in the UK, protesting the influx of Muslim gangs? (of course burning buildings and cars is almost always unacceptable). but if you push the political Right too much, you get a very bad backlash.

the Boxing XY chromosome nonsense was horrible to see. @bowtiedmara nailed it with his hijab/niqab/burka comment:

@StatusNomadicus it is much much much worse now in Paris. I'm not sure when the last time you went but I took my family last year and let's just say it is much different now. Spain, Italy, France and UK and many other countries all going through the same thing. I see what is going on in the UK now. I agree with you that burning buildings and cars and looting and everything else going on is NOT acceptable behavior but it looks like they were pushed too far and still are being pushed too far. I am not there so not sure how bad/good it is but it is not looking good so far what I see.

Back