Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer First visit to Buenos Aires – a few inquiries

galaxy

Hello,
I'm planning a trip to Argentina at the end of February, visiting Buenos Aires and El Calafate, and I have some questions.

Currency
I'm a bit confused about the currency situation in Argentina. Should I bring cash in USD or EUR? And how can I ensure I get the best exchange rate for Argentine Pesos (ARS)?
Is using Visa/Mastercard not recommended?
I read about online transfers through the Western Union website and then withdrawing cash from any Western Union location. Is that correct?

Uber
Is it safe to use Uber? And is cash also accepted as payment?
Public Transportation
Is public transportation reliable and safe?

Safety
Is it safe to walk alone during the daytime (before dark)? Are there any areas that should be avoided?
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks in advance!

Hello,
I'm planning a trip to Argentina at the end of February, visiting Buenos Aires and El Calafate, and I have some questions.

Currency
I'm a bit confused about the currency situation in Argentina. Should I bring cash in USD or EUR? And how can I ensure I get the best exchange rate for Argentine Pesos (ARS)?
I read about online transfers through the Western Union website and then withdrawing cash from any Western Union location. Is that correct?

Uber
Public Transportation

Safety
Is it safe to walk alone during the daytime (before dark)? Are there any areas that should be avoided?
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks in advance!
We are all confused about the currency thing and many of us have been here for years!

USD is easier to exchange . EUR is not always possible especially outside the capital.

USD should be 100 dollar bills with no marks or blemishes

Using an international credit card will get you a rate slightly below the MEP rate - you lose a few per cent but don't have to carry loads of useless notes in your pocket.

WU works well - sometimes you have to wait in line for a fe minutes . I still use it after many years.

Uber is as safe as all public transport methods - As long as you declare prior to your ride , you can pay with cash . Buut it is sometimes easier just to use your normal payment method. Paying by cash may save you a dollar , nothing more.

Public transport is safe. The problem is getting hold of a compulsory SUBE Card , which you need to use it.

The subway is great by the way.

Safe to walk almost everywhere. Just don't flash cash or your ROLEX.

The worst area is close to the Boca football ground

Currency
Review and peruse some of the previous entries related to this topic, specifically focusing on the recent modifications that have taken place.
Examine past discussions where individuals delve into seeking affordable destinations and strategizing to maximize their currency value during travel. While some opt for frugality, my approach differs. For those pursuing cost-effective options, it's crucial to comprehensively grasp the dynamics to make informed decisions on economizing during their journeys.
You have the option to do this as well. However, please be aware of the fees and charges associated with it.
Uber
Apologies, but I don't personally use Uber. However, based on my understanding, it operates similarly in your location as it does elsewhere.

I haven't encountered any problems during my visits to Buenos Aires.

I've explored various destinations on foot, often covering substantial distances. However, the approach may vary depending on the circumstances. I adhere to certain principles, such as staying aware of my surroundings, applying common sense, and trusting my instincts. I find it essential to remain flexible, observing and assessing the situation upon arrival, and making necessary adjustments to my plans. There's no universal rule for travel; adaptability and on-the-go decision-making play a crucial role.

Here are some additional suggestions: consider carrying only a limited amount of cash for daily expenses, along with a single card. Optionally, you can keep some local emergency cash in a discreet location, such as a necklace pouch or another secure method.

It's a good practice to always have emergency cash on hand. USD notes in denominations of 100 can be convenient due to their compact size. Additionally, you may choose to carry some larger Euro notes, such as 50 or 100, as they are also compact and widely accepted. You can keep the majority of your funds in a secure location, like a hotel safe or a hidden spot in your room.

To enhance financial security, consider having a second emergency backup card from a different bank. This ensures that if one bank faces issues, you have an alternative for financial transactions.

Here are some threads that may be helpful to you:

yes, @Nicholas with the links i was going to post! @Walter W just asked a lot of these questions...check out that one!

and for daily credit card costs @galaxy, i put data on a Twitter/X page for fellow Expats: www.x.com/ArgentinaMEP

Here are some threads that may be helpful to you:

Wow you the man for posting all these links!!

My friend is there now and he said all of this advice was all 100% correct. Thanks again. I can't wait to arrive in a few days.

Back