Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Garbage Accumulation in Buenos Aires

legend

Buenos Aires woke up full of trash, and this might keep happening. The reason is the truck drivers' union is working strictly to the rules, which means they aren't picking up trash as often as usual. They took this action because the city government wants to change their contracts due to the high costs.

1721677705714.png

I think downtown got the worst of it. This sort of thing happens in the States as well. My brother last year told me Waste Management went on strike for months and garbage was piled up in his community. Horrible. This will get resolved here I am quite sure.

The conflict seems more about economic interests than really defending the workers. Even though the government had managed to keep trash collection at a high level, the strike caused a huge drop in service. Things got worse when new companies were announced for the job and the bidding was canceled.

It looks like the union isn’t actually defending the truck drivers but is focused on its own economic interests, especially with $360 million at stake. So, it seems like this is more about revenge than a genuine fight for workers' rights.

The conflict seems more about economic interests than really defending the workers. Even though the government had managed to keep trash collection at a high level, the strike caused a huge drop in service. Things got worse when new companies were announced for the job and the bidding was canceled.

It looks like the union isn’t actually defending the truck drivers but is focused on its own economic interests, especially with $360 million at stake. So, it seems like this is more about revenge than a genuine fight for workers' rights.

That sounds about right. Actually trash collection has drastically improved over the years. I remember when people would just put out bags of trash on the street and people at night would go through the bags to recycle and it would be a mess by morning. Things have improved drastically in BA since I've been coming here.

It's better in some areas and worse in other areas. Here is how it is in Recoleta. This is not good and the city is starting to smell. Many of these bags have dog sh*t in them and rotting food. Disaster.

recoleta trash.jpeg

This is definitely extortion by a mafioso. What does the towing service have to do with trash collection? Even Macri said he didn’t understand why they took this measure since the city has no issues with the trash collection union. But, of course, the city does have a dispute over the pre-awarding of a towing contract that has nothing to do with this. To save costs, the city isn’t renewing the contract with the Moyano. The service will continue to be managed by the city at less than half the price of the previous contract, and that’s what triggered the chaos.

This is definitely extortion by a mafioso. What does the towing service have to do with trash collection? Even Macri said he didn’t understand why they took this measure since the city has no issues with the trash collection union. But, of course, the city does have a dispute over the pre-awarding of a towing contract that has nothing to do with this. To save costs, the city isn’t renewing the contract with the Moyano. The service will continue to be managed by the city at less than half the price of the previous contract, and that’s what triggered the chaos.

I just wish one of these times people would end up in jail or heavily fined when they do stuff like this.

It's better in some areas and worse in other areas. Here is how it is in Recoleta. This is not good and the city is starting to smell. Many of these bags have dog sh*t in them and rotting food. Disaster.

View attachment 6749
I really really really realy want to thank all of you that talked me out of coming to Buenos Aires this month. I can't even imagine the pungent smells and bad odors in the street right now. I probably would have had to buy a ticket to leave. My nose is so sensitive to bad smells.

I really really really realy want to thank all of you that talked me out of coming to Buenos Aires this month. I can't even imagine the pungent smells and bad odors in the street right now. I probably would have had to buy a ticket to leave. My nose is so sensitive to bad smells.
I'm not sure Buenos Aires is your speed. Mosquitos, dog poop on the sidewalk and now trash piled up on the street. Maybe stick to Spain.

The conflict with garbage collection continues, prompting Jorge Macri to announce new measures. There will be fines for non-compliance and increased inspections. This union mafia, which claims to fight for workers' interests, needs to end. The last thing they do is take care of the workers. I hope these measures help improve the service.

The conflict with garbage collection continues, prompting Jorge Macri to announce new measures. There will be fines for non-compliance and increased inspections. This union mafia, which claims to fight for workers' interests, needs to end. The last thing they do is take care of the workers. I hope these measures help improve the service.

What? Still going on? I am very very very very happy that I decided to delay trip. I hope this isn't still going on in October!

Gosh I wouldn't let that deter you. Big cities smell no matter where in the world. I'm headed to Buenos Aires next week and can't wait.

Gosh I wouldn't let that deter you. Big cities smell no matter where in the world. I'm headed to Buenos Aires next week and can't wait.
Um no. Not all big cities smell. Trash doesn't get piled up like this in most cities. This is NOT normal. Fortunately most big cities that I go to don't smell like this.

They do and they've all had garbage strikes. It always looks terrible but the smell wasn't that much worse than normal. I've lived all over the place, early morning runs in big cities before the garbage gets picked up are always a peach.

They do and they've all had garbage strikes. It always looks terrible but the smell wasn't that much worse than normal. I've lived all over the place, early morning runs in big cities before the garbage gets picked up are always a peach.
Sure if there happens to be a strike but trash piled up for weeks isn't a normal thing in most major cities. Not trying to argue with you Craig. Just stating that I am glad I delayed my trip again. Was supposed to come during the summer but there was a Dengue fever and mosquito invasion so cancelled. I was set to arrive again 2 weeks ago but I was talked out of it as I was told the winters there this year will be cold.

Have a good trip. I don't mean to rain on your parade. Have fun and post how your trip goes. It is good to get perspective from someone that doesn't live there.

Back