Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Sahara

Could someone provide me with a current estimate of the costs for gas, electricity, and broadband in Buenos Aires? I'll be residing in a modern 2-bedroom apartment in Palermo with amenities such as air conditioning, underfloor heating, and a gas cooker. As I'll be away at work for approximately 12 hours a day, five days a week, my consumption is expected to be moderate. Additionally, I'm curious about the status of subsidies for these services – whether they have already been removed or if there are plans to do so soon. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Gas and electricity payments need to be made in dollars, which is ironic given the challenges in obtaining dollars. The approximate monthly cost for gas and electricity is around $15,000 USD. On the bright side, broadband is both affordable and reliable, costing around 100 pesos per month. However, it's worth noting that there could be consequences, such as a hefty fine of 100,000 pesos, if caught browsing anti-government propaganda.

what is the fastest broadband available in BA ( for home use..not commercial)

And what does it cost , unlimited data.

Fibertel just came out with a new 6 MB service. They have a special now of 50% off for 6 months.

http://www.fibertel.com.ar/seccion-330-6megas.html

It's only 107.50 pesos a month for 6 months which is pretty good. Then it goes to 215 pesos a month

I have the 3 MB service and I think I pay around 180 pesos a month so I think I will go ahead and upgrade for the small difference.

I reside in a single-occupancy studio in Recoleta. Subsidies for this area, as well as in Palermo, were phased out some time ago. My monthly expenses include:

• ABL Tax: $54 pesos (Covering street lights, sweeping, and cleaning)
  • Electricity: $221 bimonthly (Usage includes 4 light bulbs, TV set, AC/Heater, Netbook, with weekends spent away)
  • Gas: $19 bimonthly (Light cooking)
  • Water: $84 per month (Not a metered service, allowing for cold showers throughout the day)
  • Internet: $215 per month for a 6-megabit connection, provided by Cablevision/Fibertel
The total monthly expenditure comes to approximately $472. The ABL and water rates are proportional to the square footage, with my studio covering 42 square meters. For a 2-bedroom apartment exceeding 100 square meters, you can estimate accordingly.

Claro are doing a promo now. 3mb fiber optic internet and telephon line, can't remember the minutes, but it's a lot. All for 89 pesos!! Can't argue with that.

Got it installed and it works perfect

Back