Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Getting a CDI # in Argentina to buy a car

Just a shout out and big thanks to Mike and Ana at www.buysellba.com. I was in the process of moving to Argentina and I was purchasing a car. I didn't know you needed a tax ID # which is called a CDI #. I found their website and although I wasn't buying a property I asked them if I could hire them to get my CDI #.

I called into their office and Mike called me back and explained they didn't do it for people that weren't buying a property but he referred me to one of his in-house accountants and said maybe she could do it. I am very happy to say that Ana got my CDI #. I read horror stories how you can waste days getting it. My friend did it herself and she had to go to the police station and then go to the tax office there. She said she wasted a lot of time.

Ana explained that since I wasn't yet in Argentina and wouldn't be for about 2 months I could either wait until I got to Argentina or we could start the process from the USA. I had to sign a Power of attorney document for her to get my CDI #. I had to notarize it and then send it to the Secretary of State in Sacramento. I then had to fed ex it to Argentina. But I am happy to report that she got it successfully and it was very quick. In fact, the longest was me waiting for the Secretary of State to send it back to me.

I couldn't be more pleased. Thank you so much BuySellBA for your help!

Just a shout out and big thanks to Mike and Ana at www.buysellba.com. I was in the process of moving to Argentina and I was purchasing a car. I didn't know you needed a tax ID # which is called a CDI #. I found their website and although I wasn't buying a property I asked them if I could hire them to get my CDI #.

I called into their office and Mike called me back and explained they didn't do it for people that weren't buying a property but he referred me to one of his in-house accountants and said maybe she could do it. I am very happy to say that Ana got my CDI #. I read horror stories how you can waste days getting it. My friend did it herself and she had to go to the police station and then go to the tax office there. She said she wasted a lot of time.

Ana explained that since I wasn't yet in Argentina and wouldn't be for about 2 months I could either wait until I got to Argentina or we could start the process from the USA. I had to sign a Power of attorney document for her to get my CDI #. I had to notarize it and then send it to the Secretary of State in Sacramento. I then had to fed ex it to Argentina. But I am happy to report that she got it successfully and it was very quick. In fact, the longest was me waiting for the Secretary of State to send it back to me.

I couldn't be more pleased. Thank you so much BuySellBA for your help!

Thanks so much @roam around. I'm very happy that Ana was able to get your CDI # so quickly. I wish you a safe journey traveling around Argentina. Best.

If you are in BA, I went and did it using my precaria last week, and it was about a 20 minute process. My wife’s took about 5 minutes, yesterday, so it’s not too bad. We went to agencia no 51 at Bartolomé Mitre 841.
That's awesome @Darksider415! Wow, that sounds very quick so that's good. I haven't done it in a long time. Back when I did it, it was a long process. Do they not require the police visit to your apartment/hotel now?

That's awesome @Darksider415! Wow, that sounds very quick so that's good. I haven't done it in a long time. Back when I did it, it was a long process. Do they not require the police visit to your apartment/hotel now?
I had a valid precaria, so they just went off of that. That said, the police certificate I got for my residency was simply showing up at the police station and they issued it on the spot.

I had a valid precaria, so they just went off of that. That said, the police certificate I got for my residency was simply showing up at the police station and they issued it on the spot.
Hmm. Maybe the situation is easier when you're married to a Mercosur resident? I recently spoke to a new client for an initial consultation and they said they even went the step of going to AFIP and AFIP wouldn't grant it as they needed a utility bill in their name. That sounded whacky to me as I've never heard of that. Probably like many things in Argentina, just an employee that didn't know the rules and cranky.

I haven't gone through the process of getting a CDI in many, many years. Do you even have to get a CDI # @darksider41 since you're going to get a DNI?

Hmm. Maybe the situation is easier when you're married to a Mercosur resident? I recently spoke to a new client for an initial consultation and they said they even went the step of going to AFIP and AFIP wouldn't grant it as they needed a utility bill in their name. That sounded whacky to me as I've never heard of that. Probably like many things in Argentina, just an employee that didn't know the rules and cranky.

I haven't gone through the process of getting a CDI in many, many years. Do you even have to get a CDI # @darksider41 since you're going to get a DNI?
We needed it to open local accounts before getting our DNIs, hence the process.

Their docs say that if you’ve got a precaria, you only need that, a photocopy of it, two copies of the form and your passport, with photocopy. It was about 20 minutes including the wait and the argument with the clerk who didn’t want to do it until his boss came over and I showed them the requirements from AFIP’s website. It only took about 5 minutes for my wife’s, a few days later.

Their docs say that if you’ve got a precaria, you only need that, a photocopy of it, two copies of the form and your passport, with photocopy. It was about 20 minutes including the wait and the argument with the clerk who didn’t want to do it until his boss came over and I showed them the requirements from AFIP’s website. It only took about 5 minutes for my wife’s, a few days later.
Ah ok thanks for that further reference data point. Yes, it sounds like my client got someone that was lazy and didn't want to work. They said they went to AFIP office and they wouldn't accept their Airbnb rental receipt. They wanted a utility bill! I never heard of that for a CDI #. My accountants get all our clients CDI # so I haven't had to hassle with this for a long time.

But that's great that you stood your ground. There are a LOT of lazy locals in governmental offices that don't like to work. Their first response is usually "no we can't". Sometimes if this happens you have to go to another agency. Great that it was so quick.

@Darksider415 which bank account did you open up your account with only a CDI?

Banco Ciudad
Thank you! I will try it and report back. I read that many don't have success with just a CDI number. Maybe you were successful as you were applying for residency but I am not doing that. I just want to see if I can open an account there as I am not sure how long I will be down there.

Thank you! I will try it and report back. I read that many don't have success with just a CDI number. Maybe you were successful as you were applying for residency but I am not doing that. I just want to see if I can open an account there as I am not sure how long I will be down there.
Looks like they require at least a Precaria, so if you aren't applying for residency, that's not an option. I can't think of anyone who will open a local account without at least some form of residency.

Looks like they require at least a Precaria, so if you aren't applying for residency, that's not an option. I can't think of anyone who will open a local account without at least some form of residency.
OK thanks for letting me know. That matched what my friend, Beth told me but I told her you opened one but she went to 5 banks and they all told her impossible without the DNI. OK, thank you.

Back