Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

WillyMe

I'm a retired U.S. citizen with permanent resident status in Argentina. Earlier this year I sold my house in the U.S. and moved permanently back to Argentina, where I recently purchased another house. This proved to be far more difficult than expected, even though I'd researched things for months prior to making the relocation decision. I hope what I've learned can be useful to others.

Two major issues needed to be addressed:
1) whether to sell everything before moving and start over (again) OR ship all my belongings to Argentina
2) Getting sufficient dollars into Argentina to purchase real estate, which is done in dollars.

I discuss #1 in a previous post (Shipping household good to or from Argentina).

This post is about Issue #2: Getting dollars into Argentina to purchase real estate

Now things get tricky.

While researching, I was told variations of how easy it is to bring in dollars from outside Argentina. While the information was well-intended, it had either it had not been done recently or the amount obtained was actually trivial. Remember... common transfer methods will be converted into pesos as soon as they cross the electronic border. You won't end up with dollars, which are required for most real estate transactions, AND you'll get your pesos at the official rate, far below the dollar's actual value. Bad bad bad.

The government here constantly closes loopholes and changes the rules for obtaining dollars, making it more difficult always. What might have worked several years ago, or last week, might today be just another dead end. Keep this in mind when considering a real estate purchase, using due diligence before signing a contract.

The simplest solution, and the one my seller initially desired, was to directly transfer the dollar purchase price into a foreign (i.e. non-Argentina) bank account. This can still work, but NOT for Uruguay. AFIP has recently instituted very punitive measures against Argentinos doing this in that particular country.

Some people recommended using financieras to move the money into Argentina. The plan is to transfer dollars into their account somewhere outside Argentina and be given dollars in Argentina a few days later. This requires trust... LOTS of trust. Essentially it means handing a stranger a LARGE amount of money and then hoping they give it back to you here, for a percentage. Perhaps you can find one you can sufficiently trust. I could not. Of the three I met with, none inspired anything but suspicion and/or outright distrust.

Yes, you can make runs to Colonia, bringing back $10k each time (if you've set up a bank account in Uruguay). Rather impractical, that.

After many frustrating disappointments, I did finally find a reliable way to get dollars from the U.S. into Argentina. And I found two different ways to use essentially the same method. It is legal, and should remain viable in the future.

After reading several posts here by HenryNisental, I contacted Banco Piano (many thanks Henry!) They took all my personal information, bank records, IRS returns, sales contract of my U.S. property, etc. and agreed to open a dollar account for me (along with a peso account). THIS IS IMPORTANT.

Without a dollar account, there would not be a way to obtain actual dollars when making a transfer. Instead the dollars would be converted into pesos. Bad bad bad... I tried opening a dollar account in 4 other banks and none would give me one, even though I'm a permanent resident. Some just said "no", while BBVA wouldn't do it until I'd had an account for more than 6 months. Maybe not an issue for some, but it was for me.

Banco Piano specializes in transferring foreign pensions of retirees into Argentina, from both the U.S. and Europe. As most pensions are paid monthly, a deposit into my dollar account (for example) can ONLY be done once per month due to BCRA (Banco Central) regulations, a small but important point to remember. Make a 2nd transfer and your account will be locked.

Loosely speaking, this is how Banco Piano is able to get you dollars: with your money (pension or bank transfer), they buy stocks or bonds using their account in the U.S. They then transfer those stocks or bonds into their Argentina account and quickly sell them. As all stock/bond transactions in Argentina are officially done in U.S. dollars, like magic you now have dollars deposited into your dollar account.

Banco Piano charges 5% for this service, but the cost can be paid in pesos at the official rate so the effective cost is closer to 3%. I was unable to use Banco Piano for the transfer, due to particular personal circumstances (my only U.S. bank is Schwab, which ultimately resulted in a conflict between Federal Reserve and BCRA regs).

But the dollar account I now had was still very valuable.

I found another company that does the same process with stocks and bonds that Banco Piano does (though only for dollars), but without the above-mentioned regulation conflict. Not only do they charge only 1% instead of 5%, the broker is a noted economist, professor, and a close personal friend of my brother-in-law. He's a financial wizard that I trust 100%, and without him I'd be renting now instead of owning a home.

The company is Inviu, and the broker is Franco Tealdi (fluent in English btw). And unlike Banco Piano, he can move money in both directions, helpful for those needing to move dollars out of Argentina. Franco specializes in wealth management, and I highly recommend him to anyone needing to move money or optimize their resources.

Franco Tealdi:
francotealdi@gmail.com
Franco Tealdi Twitter 54 9 351 266-1022 WhatsApp [his preferred method]

Good luck and best wishes...

When I purchased the apartment in which I had been living for three years, the payment was easy. The seller lived in New Jersey, so I processed a transfer from my Massachusetts account to her New Jersey account before closing day. The seller confirmed the money was in her account at closing. My escribana had the documents prepared and I paid her fee in pesos. The entire transaction took no more than fifteen minutes.

If you are fortunate to find a property owner with a US bank account, the process is simplified.

When I purchased the apartment in which I had been living for three years, the payment was easy. The seller lived in New Jersey, so I processed a transfer from my Massachusetts account to her New Jersey account before closing day. The seller confirmed the money was in her account at closing. My escribana had the documents prepared and I paid her fee in pesos. The entire transaction took no more than fifteen minutes.

If you are fortunate to find a property owner with a US bank account, the process is simplified.
Tell me please, what is the insurance document, that garantees you that after the seller gets the money on bank in USA, than the seller will sign the contract in Argentina? What if you send money and smth would happend to this transaction?

Tell me please, what is the insurance document, that garantees you that after the seller gets the money on bank in USA, than the seller will sign the contract in Argentina? What if you send money and smth would happend to this transaction?
Well you as the BUYER get to select the Escribano to be used for the transaction. Obviously you definitely have to have a skilled and ethical Escribano but in all the times that I've purchased when I've wired abroad to a foreign owner to a foreign bank account the buyer and seller signed the escritura ahead of time. The Escribano held the keys and agreed not to hand them over until a secondary document was signed saying the funds were received.

On the title deed it said it wasn't valid until the funds were confirmed as received with the 2nd document being signed. I've never had any issues at all proceeding this way.

I hope this answers your questions:

I have two Inviu accounts --- one in the U.S. and the other in Argentina. To receive dollars (or pesos, you specify the desired currency when initiating the process), first a wire transfer is deposited into the U.S. Inviu account from my U.S. bank. Inviu then buys bonds, transfers them to my Argentina account and sells the bonds. The proceeds are then deposited into my appropriate Argentine Inviu account (dollars or pesos). To access dollars, they must finally be transferred into a normal Argentine dollar bank account from the Inviu account, as Inviu is a brokerage house not a bank.

Banco Piano does the same procedure, the difference being (other than 5% vs 1% fee) is that with Inviu I can buy and sell the bonds myself if I wish, though I let Franco Tealdi handle that. I'm no expert. He is.

There was minor difference between the actual price I paid for my house and that which the seller wished to be on the final documents. My escribano handled the paperwork to do that. It was not a problem, but I suspect it might have some tax implications should I sell.

To the best of my knowledge, if you have dollars in a dollar account, you can withdraw all you wish. They are yours. Local branches might not have a sufficient supply on hand, however. so for large amounts I suggest using the main bank.

I hope this answers your questions:

I have two Inviu accounts --- one in the U.S. and the other in Argentina. To receive dollars (or pesos, you specify the desired currency when initiating the process), first a wire transfer is deposited into the U.S. Inviu account from my U.S. bank. Inviu then buys bonds, transfers them to my Argentina account and sells the bonds. The proceeds are then deposited into my appropriate Argentine Inviu account (dollars or pesos). To access dollars, they must finally be transferred into a normal Argentine dollar bank account from the Inviu account, as Inviu is a brokerage house not a bank.

Banco Piano does the same procedure, the difference being (other than 5% vs 1% fee) is that with Inviu I can buy and sell the bonds myself if I wish, though I let Franco Tealdi handle that. I'm no expert. He is.

There was minor difference between the actual price I paid for my house and that which the seller wished to be on the final documents. My escribano handled the paperwork to do that. It was not a problem, but I suspect it might have some tax implications should I sell.

To the best of my knowledge, if you have dollars in a dollar account, you can withdraw all you wish. They are yours. Local branches might not have a sufficient supply on hand, however. so for large amounts I suggest using the main bank.
Again, extremely helpful! Thank you for taking the time to spell this out.

My chief concern currently is the feasibility / ease of withdrawing $250k USD cash from whichever Argentinian bank I end up choosing. My understanding from Argentinian friends is that I should be weary of banks allowing me to withdraw that sum of money in cash and that there are stringent, low limits in place to prevent large withdrawals. Is this misplaced fear on their part or have you found that banks are perfectly willing to give you all of your USD in cash at once, assuming it’s a larger bank and branch? Are there any precautions you’d recommend I take in advance?

Again, extremely helpful! Thank you for taking the time to spell this out.

My chief concern currently is the feasibility / ease of withdrawing $250k USD cash from whichever Argentinian bank I end up choosing. My understanding from Argentinian friends is that I should be weary of banks allowing me to withdraw that sum of money in cash and that there are stringent, low limits in place to prevent large withdrawals. Is this misplaced fear on their part or have you found that banks are perfectly willing to give you all of your USD in cash at once, assuming it’s a larger bank and branch? Are there any precautions you’d recommend I take in advance?
Speaking from personal experience, their fear is misplaced (though it may be different for Argentinos with dollar accounts --- I'm a foreigner with permanent residence). If you are able to legally deposit dollars into an Argentine bank dollar account, you can withdraw any amount you want. As I have already said, the only issue would be a local branch that may not keep large amounts of dollars on hand unless requested in advance. Main branch, no such issue.

Speaking from personal experience, their fear is misplaced (though it may be different for Argentinos with dollar accounts --- I'm a foreigner with permanent residence). If you are able to legally deposit dollars into an Argentine bank dollar account, you can withdraw any amount you want. As I have already said, the only issue would be a local branch that may not keep large amounts of dollars on hand unless requested in advance. Main branch, no such issue.
I wouldn't necessarily say that you shouldn't have any fear of wiring large sums of money INTO Argentina. If there were some big event like a formal devaluation, I personally wouldn't want to do anything at all with the banking system there. I was down there during the last correlito and it was utter chaos. They were limiting the amount people could withdraw from their own accounts.

What I'd feel comfortable doing is wiring funds abroad to another seller's account OUTSIDE of Argentina but with how unstable and chaotic the financial system is right now, I wouldn't want to wire funds into Argentina.

I know someone who brought in around US$40-50k in cash and they simply declared it on arrival at Ezeiza. They had the papers to show how they had acquired that money - it was from the sale of a property overseas - and aduanas hardly asked anything and waived them through. This was about seven years ago though.

I know someone else who brought in around $20k, and on their arrival card they had ticked that they had more than US$10k and they weren't asked anything at all by anyone! This was also several years ago.

Both were coming on tourist visas.

I know someone who brought in around US$40-50k in cash and they simply declared it on arrival at Ezeiza. They had the papers to show how they had acquired that money - it was from the sale of a property overseas - and aduanas hardly asked anything and waived them through. This was about seven years ago though.

I know someone else who brought in around $20k, and on their arrival card they had ticked that they had more than US$10k and they weren't asked anything at all by anyone! This was also several years ago.

Both were coming on tourist visas.
The flip side of this is you can easily get robbed on your way from the airport. I've seen first hand people getting robbed immediately after leaving the bank. Thieves get a tip that you're withdrawing large amounts.

Also, a TRUE story is many years ago I had a friend that sold an apartment and she refused to pay a % fee to get the funds wired to her. So she traveled to EZE with about $175,000 US dollars. She planned to declare it and bring it with her to her home country. (She is VERY stubborn).

Well, she had the airport employees swap out some bills and then they tried to accuse her of transporting counterfeit bills. They swapped out $40,000 US dollars! She showed them the escritura and closing documents and they contacted the escribano to confirm she got paid with real US dollars but obviously someone in the airport swapped out the bills.

There is a BIG risk of traveling with cash inside Argentina. Especially the airports so be careful. Argentina is one of the most corrupt countries on the planet.

Well you as the BUYER get to select the Escribano to be used for the transaction. Obviously you definitely have to have a skilled and ethical Escribano but in all the times that I've purchased when I've wired abroad to a foreign owner to a foreign bank account the buyer and seller signed the escritura ahead of time. The Escribano held the keys and agreed not to hand them over until a secondary document was signed saying the funds were received.

On the title deed it said it wasn't valid until the funds were confirmed as received with the 2nd document being signed. I've never had any issues at all proceeding this way.
I read online that as the buyer I get to choose the lawyer or Escribano for the closing. But on some new projects they are saying I must use their Escribano. Is that correct?

I read online that as the buyer I get to choose the lawyer or Escribano for the closing. But on some new projects they are saying I must use their Escribano. Is that correct?
On new construction properties is the only time that the seller will force you to use their Escribano. The law allows developers to use the same Escribano for the entire building so this is correct that they are saying you must use their Escribano.

Back