Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Global Outage Affects Microsoft Systems

farmer

This has certainly caused a lot of problems today, especially at the airports, where everything was paralyzed due to an issue with Microsoft system updates. Fortunately, things are starting to get back to normal, but it was chaotic. The lesson here is that technology isn't perfect. This issue led to a rise in the stock prices of its competitors, some people’s misfortune is others' gain.

According to what I read, Aeropuertos Argentina, which controls the local airport terminals, did not experience any issues. However, passenger traffic was affected because at least Iberia and JetSmart faced technical difficulties with their online systems. It was truly chaotic.

I often times worry about technology being our downfall. Imagine if all our banking, medical records and everything else just disappear one day. My brother in the States told me his doctor's medical group got a cyber criminal that stole all their medical records. Even their backups. Their office has been closed for 3 weeks now. Hard to believe in this day and age this kind of thing can happen but sounds like it's happening all over.

According to what I read, Aeropuertos Argentina, which controls the local airport terminals, did not experience any issues. However, passenger traffic was affected because at least Iberia and JetSmart faced technical difficulties with their online systems. It was truly chaotic.

Apparently, the outage did not affect Argentina because the antivirus that caused the collapse is not used in the country due to its high cost.

Back