Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Good starting point for a walk

I believe Recoleta embodies the more "classic" essence of Buenos Aires than Palermo.

As you head further south, you'll encounter older architecture. Take a stroll past Teatro Colón and explore the surrounding plazas.

Moving on, Plaza San Martín in Retiro is a delightful park, showcasing a blend of old and new.

Avenida de Mayo boasts the most stunning, well-preserved older buildings, although it's a few kilometers from Recoleta. The city is truly conducive to walking!

Taking a leisurely stroll around Buenos Aires is a truly effortless and delightful experience. The city is adorned with numerous beautiful corners, plazas, shops, buildings, street art, and captivating sightlines that beckon me to immerse myself in each one, savoring the atmosphere before moving along.

My preferred approach is to identify a beloved bakery a few kilometers away and simply walk to it. Yesterday morning led me to Sach'a Bakery in Almagro (from Palermo Hollywood). The route down Fitz Roy, left on Honduras, right on Medrano, and the return via Bulnes to Gorriti and Godoy Cruz was a visual feast at every turn (and the bakery was absolutely worth it!).

While Recoleta is undoubtedly picturesque, my personal taste leans towards the charm of smaller, unassuming neighborhoods like Almagro and Palermo.

Either suggestion is excellent. I share Melibaires's opinion that Av. de Mayo boasts stunning architecture. The stroll from Plaza de Mayo to Congreso offers a quintessentially Argentine experience with its historical significance.

On the other hand, Ricrados's recommendation will immerse you in charming shops, cafes, and a neighborhood ambiance, albeit without the grandeur of historic buildings.

Here are many self-guided tours you can do for Buenos Aires.

We ended up starting in front of the Recoleta Cemetary area and then going down Avenida Alvear down to Arroyo street which was gorgeous. Then we walked down to the Teatro Colon and to the Obelisk and then down to Florida Street.

Last edited:
I walk over 10k steps a day and my favourite of all time would be, start where calle Florida begins, walk to the intersection of Florida and Corrientes, along Corrientes to the intersection with Pueyyredon, to the intersection of Pueyyredon y Santa Fe, then back to wherever you live

I walk over 10k steps a day and my favourite of all time would be, start where calle Florida begins, walk to the intersection of Florida and Corrientes, along Corrientes to the intersection with Pueyyredon, to the intersection of Pueyyredon y Santa Fe, then back to wherever you live
That is a good amount of steps to be walking daily. Kudos for you. That is a nice walk.

Thank you
Walking along Corrientes is my favourite
I also love Corrientes. Really Buenos Aires has so many great streets. I find it's a great walking city. I have never had issues walking around at all hours of the day or night.

Back